RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:25 am 
Buckeye

A stainless Walther PPK or PPK/S was a "wishful thinking" gun for my father, who died in 1978 at age 46, before the advent of stainless Walthers. Occasionally I myself consider the beauty of the timeless design, the solid stainless construction and the concealability of the weapon. I'm considering trading into one of the "new" PPKs as a carry choice and for sentimental reasons.
So. When Smith and Wesson made them there were recalls and reliability issues. I had one in 2003. I've read that the feed ramp as a nearly 90year old design is only reliable with full metal jacket ammo.
Can anyone here tell me from personal experience about their findings with the PPK and PPK/S stainless variants using modern personal protection ammo please? I'll never abandon my trusted SP101s that I've carried for years, but sometimes my beautiful stainless P95 is just too big to carry now that I'm down 110 pounds to a 36 inch waist 36 inch inseam jean. Even the cylinder bulge of my SP101s can be problematic for me and a PPK for "dressy occasions" (as good a reason as any to buy one, grin) would be .....attractive.
Not here to debate the practicality of the PPK. Just wanting input about personal reliability experience from friends.
Thanks. Don

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:38 pm 

My PP and PPK were both made in the early 60's so they're blued. Both are 380's and both function flawlessly with any kind of ammo you choose.

Sorry ..... the new one's aren't in my wheelhouse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:45 pm 
Hawkeye

I've had two of them. The first (about twenty years ago) was fine, but seemed a bit
less than I wanted. Soooo, after a few boxes of over priced ammunition, I sold it.

About five years later I decided to try another one; I wish I had kept the first one.
The current one has a VERY heavy DA trigger and a marginal SA trigger. Accuracy
is nothing to write home about (but that could be me just not being as comfortable
as I should be with it). And, once again, the over priced ammunition.

Like you, I want to like it. But somehow it is one of those decisions I wish I had
not made. Sigh.

I've gotten a Sig P365 with twelve round mags and find it to be far easier for me to
use. Not to mention the much less expensive ammo.

Good luck in finding just what you want.

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm 
Buckeye

I have 3 of them.
Two are the older blue Interarms marked Made in germany and one is the older stainless Interarms made in America.
All three of them function just fine with anything I put in them.
I carry a PPK/S more than any other gun.
I trust it 100%.
A friend of mine has the newer S&W PPK/S and hasn't had any problems with it either.

If you are looking for one there is one in the classifieds right now and I think it is priced very fair.
It has been tempting me ever since it was listed.
I am surprised it hasn't sold already.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 pm 

Busterswoodshop wrote:
If you are looking for one there is one in the classifieds right now and I think it is priced very fair.

Hmmm...I see that now. You're right, $450 seems plenty reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:34 pm 
Hawkeye

I've not played with one much in years, but the biggest down side I've heard people talk about, especially if a person has "meaty" hands, is the slide will come back and bite you. I don't need that. But it's ok I'm not much of a 380 guy anyway. If I were going that way, I'd go with the Beretta 84, or the Sig P232. I might even try a Bersa of all things. I haven't had one, but I've not heard anyone bad mouth one.
Nostalgia and sentiment go a long way on some guns.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:55 pm 
Buckeye

Thanks friends. I appreciate the input. Maybe one day I'll take the plunge. Don