RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:19 pm 
Single-Sixer

Does Bear Spray Work?
The science is clear, right? Not so fast, according to, well, science.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2401248/does-bear-spray-work

Perhaps the moral of the story is to read the whole study, not just the results, and then draw your own conclusions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 am 
Hawkeye

I guess I missed it.

You know, where they also recommend that you wear small bells attached to your
clothing. I guess that is because of the number of findings of bear scat that had
little bells in it and smelled of pepper. :roll:

:D

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:40 pm 
Hawkeye

A man once said "There are three types of lies. Lies, damn lies and statistics".

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:44 pm 
Hawkeye

Excellent article much of what I've been saying for years. It's certainly not beyond game and fish to try to hide some of the statistics as they have done in DLP incidents. I'm glad they recognize black bears DO have a tendency to return after being sprayed, which if you know that, you can leave the area, and the risk is mitigated. Well worth the read. If more people were educated fewer curious bears would be shot, and obviously it doesn't matter if they are sprayed or not. As a recent mauling proved, you can be attacked AFTER you use the spray.
When it comes to firearms, again as I've said before, an adequate caliber, and true capability of using said gun, are the crucial elements to success.

Just as importantly, people who ask what gun do I carry for a bear, either doesn't understand there are different varieties of bears, or the don't understand different bears have different personalities just like humans, and it's important to DEFINE what bear and the part of the country you live in. Plus it may make a difference in what you carry, as you may already have a gun which is capable of doing the job, and don't need to buy another gun. (Feel free to delete the last statement if your wife is reading this.) :mrgreen:

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:57 am 
Hunter

Pat-inCO wrote:
I guess I missed it.

You know, where they also recommend that you wear small bells attached to your
clothing. I guess that is because of the number of findings of bear scat that had
little bells in it and smelled of pepper. :roll:

:D

That joke is soooo old, it stinks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:00 am 
Hunter

Bear Paw Jack wrote:
Excellent article much of what I've been saying for years. It's certainly not beyond game and fish to try to hide some of the statistics as they have done in DLP incidents. I'm glad they recognize black bears DO have a tendency to return after being sprayed, which if you know that, you can leave the area, and the risk is mitigated. Well worth the read. If more people were educated fewer curious bears would be shot, and obviously it doesn't matter if they are sprayed or not. As a recent mauling proved, you can be attacked AFTER you use the spray.
When it comes to firearms, again as I've said before, an adequate caliber, and true capability of using said gun, are the crucial elements to success.

Just as importantly, people who ask what gun do I carry for a bear, either doesn't understand there are different varieties of bears, or the don't understand different bears have different personalities just like humans, and it's important to DEFINE what bear and the part of the country you live in. Plus it may make a difference in what you carry, as you may already have a gun which is capable of doing the job, and don't need to buy another gun. (Feel free to delete the last statement if your wife is reading this.) :mrgreen:

A couple of VERY valid points but you missed one: There is a BIG difference in "Defense of life" and "Defense of Property" encounters!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 am 
Hawkeye

In real life there is but in law they are lumped together. But being a big time biologist you already know that.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell