RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overwhelming.....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:09 pm 
Hawkeye

In the thread about "WW II B-17 Crash" Redhawker made this statement:

Quote:
I guess they're used to it but it seems like these NTSB people would walk up to a scene like that and go "Holy crap...where do I start?"

I went to work for an engineering firm in 1975, and one of my first tasks was to visit an export grain elevator in Pascagoula, Mississippi. I was to make drawings of the facility for planned renovations. I was with the head of our engineering department and as we approached, I looked at that grain elevator and had similar reactions. "I've got to measure this and be able to draw it to scale back in the office?" was my reaction.

But we started out in one area, measured and sketched that, and very thoroughly I might add, then moved to the next area. Back in the office I deciphered our notes and much to my surprise, I had drawn the whole area!

Any endeavor takes painstaking close scrutiny of small areas, and when all the small areas are defined, the whole picture becomes clear.

I'm sure that's the way it is with those NTSB officials. Not a pleasant task, I'm sure, but a necessary, and possibly life saving, one.

Bob Wright

Post subject: Re: Overwhelming.....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:37 pm 
Buckeye

They mark it off in grids and go through everything in each grid with a fine tooth comb and document it.
Lot's of times they will then take everything back to a secluded sight and place everything back into the grids and go through it again and again until they figure it out.
That is why it takes months and sometimes years to figure out something like this.

Post subject: Re: Overwhelming.....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:39 pm 
Hawkeye

In '76 I watched an Air Force team do this with a KC-135. They even put markers where any body parts were recovered. They brought the parts back to the base and laid it out as mentioned above. They took months to finish their report, and they knew it had flown into the ground. It was the why of that that took time to decipher.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan