RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:20 pm 
Hawkeye

Mobuck wrote:
I think I wear glasses today as a result of working under "lowest bidder" bulbs in the PO for 30 years. I hate fluttery florescent lights.

Hi,

I notice I'm about half blind in big box stores with all fluorescent lights. That flicker really gets me.

As to color temperature, there's a fellow who runs a lighting forum named Daniel Stern. They cover all kinds of lighting, perhaps specializing in vehicle lighting. According to Stern, as the eyes age they do less well with the blue-white of "hi-temp" lights (perhaps 4000*K and up) than they do with yellow-white medium ranges (maybe 2500*K thru 3500*K.) I think these fall into the range that was called "soft white" with incandescent bulbs. For my own uses, where color matching's not important, I'd agree with him.

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:35 pm 
Hawkeye

No more florescent for me I switched over to L E D huge difference like them a lot!
IIRC they supposedly last 10,000 hours. ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:43 pm 
Buckeye

LED is the way to go for so many reasons
Far less electricity, far less heat output, far more longevity, instant on/off - no "warm up" time like fluorescent, no loss of color as the bulb gets older like fluorescent

If you shop around LED is not that much more than any other bulb. Prices have really come down from when they first came out

The KEY is the Kelvin (color temperature) of the bulb/fixture

1,500-1,900K - candles
2,700 k - this is the yellowish color that's strained out eyes for the last 80 years
3,000 k - less yellow, much more available in the stores
4,000 k - virtually no color output, mostly clear/white. This is the closest to natural outdoor light during the day, not brightness but clarity of seeing things/colors with no added color from artificial sources
5,000 k - much bluer, not good on the eyes being too stark for most
6,000- 7,000 k - far to blue and many studies have shown retina as well as phycological/mind altering issues
8,000-9,000 k - think of the old fish tank heaters, very deep blue/purple

We have in our home all 4,000k LED lighting
As a State Licensed Electrical Contractor have changed hundreds of customers homes over to 4,000k with excellent results

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:06 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

Thank you for the chart, Xsales!

I've gotta get a few more LEDs to finish the house. I don't have dimmers, but do have some "enclosed" fixtures. I see they have LEDs rated for both now. Is it a problem if one uses a "non-approved" bulb in an enclosed fixture since much of the heat's not there?

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:25 am 
Buckeye

Rick Courtright wrote:
Hi,
Thank you for the chart, Xsales!

I've gotta get a few more LEDs to finish the house. I don't have dimmers, but do have some "enclosed" fixtures. I see they have LEDs rated for both now. Is it a problem if one uses a "non-approved" bulb in an enclosed fixture since much of the heat's not there?
Rick C

Rick
The "approved" LEDs basically can handle heat better due to less airflow in/through that fixture
I have only ran into an overheating (thus burning out the LED) one time in a type that had a very small glass globe around (approx. 1.25" diameter) the LED bulb

Would get 2-3 months only then burn out. Once I removed the glass globe (not seen) the LED bulb has been in there 2+ yrs with no issue due to air flow

Have had "non approved" LEDs in closed fixtures for yrs. with no issue - these will be standard type larger glass globes that the heat can dissipate and not be so concentrated nor build up inside enough to cause an issue

FYI: the actual LED usually is not what burns out - it is the driver that converts the electricity to LED

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:09 am 
Buckeye

Soooo. I recently learned that there are 48 inch LED bulbs that replace the fluorescent tubes of my 48 inch T8 fixtures. I was under the impression that converting to LED meant replacing the fixtures I already have. But what about the ballast unit in my existing fluorescent fixtures? DO the ballasts conflict with the LED tube replacements friends? Don

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 pm 
Buckeye

Tallbald wrote:
Soooo. I recently learned that there are 48 inch LED bulbs that replace the fluorescent tubes of my 48 inch T8 fixtures. I was under the impression that converting to LED meant replacing the fixtures I already have. But what about the ballast unit in my existing fluorescent fixtures? DO the ballasts conflict with the LED tube replacements friends? Don

There are type A LED T8 tubes that plug right into your existing fixture

Type B is using the same housing but it's direct wire as in taking the ballast out and making sure the end clips are not shunted

Go with type A for plug right in

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:40 pm 
Buckeye

Thanks! Don

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 pm 
Hunter

BTW- I got some of those 48" replacement bulbs by accident at Costco too. They work great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:29 am 
Buckeye

i have t12's in my club. seems the plugs go one at a time. so only 1 bulb works...then the 2nd one goes...then i change the whole thing. 13.99 at ace. im sticking with old school since i have so many bulbs. changing doesnt make sense.

heck...i still have 8' units with 20lb ballasts!

http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com