RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:12 am 
Hunter

RIP Ginger Baker,

https://www.krqe.com/entertainment-news ... ies-at-80/

Good Sam Club Life Member
Christians United for Israel
Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.
'Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths.'— C. H. Spurgeon
I support 2A because when seconds count police are only minutes away...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:08 am 
Hawkeye

One of the greats! Cream has always been one of my favorite bands ever! RIP! ps

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/g ... ummer-dead

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:45 am 
Ruger Guru

RIP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:52 am 
Hunter

Dammit!
One of my favorites gone!
What a time that was...

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:17 am 
Hawkeye

RIP, this just reminds us that we are all getting older and we need to make time to have some fun with our family.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:34 am 
Hawkeye

Baker was a real PITA to work with, and by most reports not a pretty good person... Jack Bruce was once asked about how he and Ginger were getting along, and Jack mentioned that since he was in the UK and Ginger was in Africa, they got along fairly well. But that he was thinking about asking Ginger to move a little further away just in case. ;) Oil & water, those two. By the tension and volatility in Cream is what gave the band its brilliance. It's also why Cream could not survive.

But Baker was quite the innovator in his day. He likely made popular the Zildjian 'sizzle' cymbal in the rock genre. (The cymbal with the little rivets around the perimeter) Ginger bought his Zildjian cymbals in the early 60s, and the last I knew he was still using them. The 'sizzle' rivets shortened the cymbal's report, but yet gave the instrument a different sound. Baker really understood how to utilize the 'sizzle' as his ride cymbal, and incorporated the sound into almost everything he did. After Baker started using them, every struggling drummer out there was drilling holes in his cymbals and installing rivets, screws, or whatever else they could find in an attempt to get the 'Ginger sound'. A lot of crappy AND very expensive cymbals were ruined by DIY cymbal technicians! I used to take my flutes in for routine maintenance back in the 70s when I was foolish enough to think I might have a career in music, and the techs had 'dead' cymbals hanging all over the walls... The result of failed 'Gingerizing'. But they sold a lot of new cymbals!

Baker also pioneered (with Keith Moon from The Who) the double bass drum kit. Ginger and Keith watched Duke Ellington's band which they both loved, and noticed that all Duke's drummers used double bass sets, which produced a thunderous sound! Moony and Ginger thus began using double bass in the mid 60s as a result, and truly changed the sound of rock music forever.

Ginger Baker's Air Force was one of his post-Cream outfits that was really powerful, but never gained the fame I thought they deserved. But Ginger was a very hard individual to handle, so it's not surprising I suppose. And the music was probably just too progressive for the rock audience at the time.

In recent years he'd lost most of his 'rock drummer' fire, having smoked like a chimney for the majority of his life. He just didn't have oxygen enough for the strenuous effort required. His 2005 reunion with Clapton and Bruce showed that he could still play with authority, but the "Baker Thunder" was only sparsely apparent. Still, an excellent and nostalgic show. If anyone is interested in Ginger's solo from that gig, it can be found here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gze0PxDKgQ

Baker kept his rhythm with his left foot and high hat... Which is apparent from the aforementioned solo. He could have 3 or 4 different beats simultaneous running, and it sounds like he's lost his way. But in fact he knows exactly where he is, and snaps back into sync when the multiple beats allow it. Truly brilliant stuff.

But the rock genre was only one of many talents that Baker exploited throughout his career in drumming and percussion. He was very much into jazz fusion as well as African rhythms. He said those genres are what really pleased him personally, as a musician. His rock work funded the stuff he WANTED to do, as is the case with so many artists...

He stopped touring a couple years ago for heart problems, and was forced (finally) to quit smoking. Sadly, he never regained health enough to tour again, and plans for a new version of Ginger Baker's Air Force never materialized.

RIP Mr. Baker... Thanks for all of it.

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:55 am 
Hawkeye

The White room’s black curtain is drawn closed today.... One of my top 10 groups of all time. RIP Mr. Baker and thanks for the memories....

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:07 am 
Hawkeye

I have never heard of Ginger Baker, and enjoyed hearing his drum solo. The guitarists should have quit a lot earlier, IMO! I grew up going to sleep listening to an album of Sandy Nelson. Most drummers are loud and fast, anyone can be loud a few fast, a very few make music with drums and percussion. Obviously Ginger did! Some Sandy Nelson: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zC9okWm8A6o Enjoy.
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:13 pm 
Hawkeye

gramps wrote:
I have never heard of Ginger Baker, and enjoyed hearing his drum solo. The guitarists should have quit a lot earlier, IMO! I grew up going to sleep listening to an album of Sandy Nelson. Most drummers are loud and fast, anyone can be loud a few fast, a very few make music with drums and percussion. Obviously Ginger did! Some Sandy Nelson: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zC9okWm8A6o Enjoy.
gramps

lol! Well gramps - That particular song (Toad) was only written to be a doorway to Ginger's drum solo, so don't judge Jack & Eric's work on that one song! Jack Bruce (Fretless bass) and Eric Clapton (Electric 6 String) are two legends in modern music!

Nice to hear Sandy Nelson after many many years!

Regards, Pete

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:28 pm 
Hawkeye

Yep, I like Eric Clapton’s music. Still their lead in could have been a lot smoother. RIP Mr Baker.
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:37 pm 
Hawkeye

I think I still have an LP album of Sandy Nelson, “Let there be drums” is the title....

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:05 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

I always enjoyed Cream, didn't pay much attention to Ginger Baker's "eccentricities" and wonder to this day where Eric Clapton could be had he not lost a big chunk of time to drugs. Those things notwithstanding, the band was something so unique for its time, it's hard to imagine someone putting together a clone of them today. And maybe Ginger and Jack can finally settle their differences.

RIP, Mr. Baker!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:30 pm 
Hawkeye

Sad news :( Rest in Peace, Ginger...

Ginger Baker was the 1st one, IMHO, to take drumming to a new level, and this was in '66! We always thought he was a speed freak and wouldn't live very long. He must have shared Keith Richards genes.

The documentary listed in the OP is a good watch. I watched it a year or so ago. He was very eclectic and marched to his own drum, no pun intended.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7h8CqYXEx0

This is what he brought to drumming that nobody, to my knowledge, had done before. Listen to the very end of Toad from Cream's 1st album released in Dec. '66. Skip to the end at the 4:45 mark. It's how Baker ended the song and is only about :20 long. Amazing!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ey8dFqM98

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:15 pm 
Hunter

RIP