RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:37 am 
Buckeye

Well the summer appears to be gone, the fall foliage is appearing in its splendor and my garden is winding down. Of all the vegetables we eat out of our garden the one I always miss the most is the Zucchini. There are so many ways to prepare it from main dishes, casseroles, breads to desserts. My wife even makes and puts away about 12 jars of a great marmalade using Zucchinis. I'll admit that my wife is getting a little sick of it. I always plant 2 early hills and a latter hill with 5 seeds in each hill. This years crop yielded the typical amount of this versatile summer squash, are you ready for this, 202 :D :lol: . I give a lot away and bet there wasn't more than a dozen that ended up in the compost pile. I like to pick them at about 9" and pick them every day, I think this is the secret to a high numbers yield. With Zucchinis in the world there is no reason for anyone to go hungry. I don't know if I'm crazier that I like zucchinis or that I count how many I grow. :D Any one else here a big fan of Zukes?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:35 pm 
Hawkeye

I can't say I'm a big fan, but I do like zucchini bread. Aren't they sort of a neutral flavor, that will take on the flavor of any other food you cook with them? Do they have much nutritional value? Vitamin C, I suppose. Zucchini marmalade actually sounds delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:44 pm 
Hawkeye

Yep, goes great in Chinese dishes, casseroles, or just plain with butter and salt. My second wife would take the older fruit, cut in half, scoop out the seeds, then cut small sections off that looked like apple slices. She made “mock apple pie” so good, it fooled people at the Senior Center her folks went.
gramps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:55 pm 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
As a kid I never liked many vegetables since Mom always cooked everything to death...bless her heart.
Now I am trying different vegetables "cooked right" and enjoy them. Zucchini is one. Can't go wrong battered and deep fried. Btw...isn't zucchini Italian? It ends in a vowel.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:12 pm 
Buckeye

Kevin, here's a link to the health and nutritional benefits of zucchini. They have their own mild flavor and texture. I like to cut them into 1" chunks and cook them in olive oil in a "hot" pan or wok. Some Red Bell Pepper, fresh Basil, black pepper, pasta and a good cream sauce with parmesan cheese on top makes for a good meal.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/zu ... s#section1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:31 pm 
Blackhawk

I do it on the grill with some cajun seasoning. Also do acorn and butternut squash the same way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:52 pm 
Hunter

I purée it and use it as a base for soup. Makes a real nice thick beef stew without adding any thickening agent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:23 pm 
Single-Sixer

Big fans in this household.
A simple saute with olive oil, salt, and pepper is my favorite.
Or a casserole (precook the zuke-simmer in water until 3/4 or so cooked) with butter, Italian bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, layered in a dish and baked. Yum!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:33 pm 
Hunter

Puréed in soup or breaded and fried like eggplant are the only way I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:57 pm 
Buckeye

We sliced them breaded and fried then layered with ricotta ground meat and tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella for a lower carb version of lasagna.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 pm 
Buckeye

All those ways are good. I like to slice them into quarters, toss in olive oil and some seasonings and grill them, or roast them in the oven.
I only tried growing some once. They are the perfect first time grower project. They seem to grow so easily for me, and I have a brown thumb.
I like my zucchini small. Somehow I missed several growing on the backside of one row of plants. I could not believe how big they got. I made four loaves of zucchini bread with one zucchini, with leftover zucchini.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:28 pm 
Hawkeye

I like zucchini too. My wife isn't much of a fan though. One year I'd planted several in our garden but just as they were almost harvest sized we had to leave for visit a sick friend and help them out for almost two weeks. When we got home we didn't have any zucchini. Someone must have stolen them and left a bunch of green, bent, baseball bats in the garden.

My daughter makes great zucchini bread. I should remind her how good hers is about now. Just a slight hint and a hopeful look ought to do it.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:41 pm 
Hunter

eveled wrote:

Did you bake/fry/grill them before you puréed?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:06 am 
Hunter

I have replaced spaghetti with zucchini. I have a gizmo that looks like a giant pencil sharpener and it turns zucchini into "spaghetti noodles".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:22 am 
Hunter

Taterman wrote:
eveled wrote:

Did you bake/fry/grill them before you puréed?

I actually cut them and summer squash into fairly large chunks. Put them in water brought it to a boil. Let them simmer a while spooned them out into a blender and puréed them and put them back into the pot. Then just treated it like any other soup stock. I’ve done the same with frozen butternut squash. It makes for a real thick soup or stew.

Last time I made a vegetable stew I did string beans and tomatoes the same way. Basically anything I don’t want to see chunks of in the soup went through the blender after if simmered a while.

Soup to me is more of an adventure than a recipe. Based on what is available from the fridge. Every pot is different but it’s always good.

A scoup of Bob’s Red Mill mix never hurts either, and usually a pack of Goya Sazon yellow rice seasoning.

Last edited by eveled on Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.