RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:15 am 
Hunter

I just found out that The Wizard boat from Deadliest catch was built for WW2. Obviously it’s been updated but it’s still 75 years old!

Makes me wonder how many other pieces of equipment from the war are still in service.

Not museum or parade pieces but actual working equipment. Anybody know of any others?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:48 am 
Single-Sixer

The DUKW amphibious vehicle is used for land and water tours in a number of areas, notably Branson Missouri and Hot Springs Arkansas, sometimes with fatal results for the passengers when they sink.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:55 am 
Hunter

I thought so too. Until I road in one. Turns out most if not all are reproductions now. Still really cool but not many are from WW2. The design lives on. So at the very least it gets honorable mention.

Last edited by eveled on Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:56 am 
Hunter

Several Sherman tank chassis have been converted to various uses, including drill platforms and logging towers.

#Iwillnotcomplyfu

They want to "have a conversation". I want to grease the guillotine.

If you don't turn in your guns, they can't make you ride in the cattle cars.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:00 am 
Hawkeye

There are a number of C-47 airplanes still working for a living, some with their original radial engines, many upgraded with turboprops. And there are still several C-46s hauling freight and people in Alaska.

One of the crews on History Channel's Ax Men has a yarder built on an M4 Sherman tank. And I doubt they're unique.

A WWII Inland M1 carbine still serves as my primary home defense weapon. :wink:

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:28 am 
Hawkeye

When I was working offshore at Platform Elly, (Port of Long Beach) I was told by the captain that the crew boat was a converted PT Boat. That was the late 80s and early 90s. The helicopter ride was much quicker, and there was certainly some risk when 'roping' over to the platform from the back of the boat in rough seas, but I still preferred the boat ride to the helicopter. A couple of my peers ended up in the drink down in the Gulf when the helicopters either failed in 'flight' or couldn't develop enough airspeed when they bounced 'em over the side. (Common practice at the time with heavy loads) I wanted no part of that, and only took the chopper when the boat was unavailable.

I have no idea if that boat is still used or not.

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 am 
Hawkeye

All the Purple Heart medals awarded to this day were made for WWII (in anticipation of horrendous casualties in the invasion of Japan).

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:07 am 
Hunter

That’s an amazing piece of trivia Snake. Really sobering.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:46 am 
Buckeye

Never used them (thank God), and don't know why they were even there, but until the early 1990's, my Fire Company had a closet shelf filled with Chemox masks and canisters, US Navy WW II vintage. Those canisters had the potential to explode like a bomb if they were to get water inside!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:55 am 
Single-Sixer

I saw a TV program dealing with Studebaker 6x6 trucks still in use in Alaska. There was one shop featured that specialized in parts and rebuilding them. Also lots of people still shoot WW2 ammo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:11 am 
Buckeye

One of my safe's is from the WWII era.
It has a steel template mounted to it that is marked " USN 1943 ".
It is solid steel and weighs a ton. It has actual fire bricks in between the sheets of steel.
It has wheels on it so I doubt it was ever on a ship.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:22 am 
Hunter

Goldstar225 wrote:
The DUKW amphibious vehicle is used for land and water tours in a number of areas, notably Branson Missouri and Hot Springs Arkansas, sometimes with fatal results for the passengers when they sink.

Also DUKW tours in Mobile Alabama. We have taken the tour. It enters the water twice, once in the Mobile River and once near the battleship USS Alabama. An interesting experience. The captains have to have a Coast Guard captains license and a CDL license.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:20 am 
Buckeye

smoke-eater wrote:
Never used them (thank God), and don't know why they were even there, but until the early 1990's, my Fire Company had a closet shelf filled with Chemox masks and canisters, US Navy WW II vintage. Those canisters had the potential to explode like a bomb if they were to get water inside!

And they were given to the Navy....... :? ........wow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:57 pm 
Hunter

The DUKW is an amphibious truck, not a boat. All these accidents are the result of them not being used properly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:44 pm 
Hunter

There's at least one, and I think maybe two WWII era PT boats that are still being used as Party sportfishing boats out in San Diego. The one I know for sure is the Malihini and the other is the Ranger 85 both fishing out of H&M Landing. Of course, neither has the big engines used during their military carriers anymore and the replacement engines are like regular diesels for a boat that size and they've also been modified quite a bit but they're still the PT Boat hall.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/05657.htm

(Couldn't find anything on the Ranger 85 but I believe it to have a similar history)