RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Range question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:25 pm 
Hunter

Not a shooting range, but a gas range for a kitchen. :)
Almost all ranges now have 5 burners and the one in the middle is often oval shaped sometimes with a flat removable griddle and/or grate.
Anybody have experience with the middle oval burner? It seems like it would be next to useless. Not sure a small round one in the middle would get much use either since it might be crowded by other pots & pans on the stove.
Believe it or not, some of the more expensive stoves have WiFi built in. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Range question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:20 pm 
Hawkeye

We recently installed a "dual fuel" range incorporating a fancy electric oven and a gas cooktop with the "long oval" center burner. Wife uses the center griddle option for bacon and things like grilled cheese sandwiches. Doesn't use the grate, so far.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:23 pm 
Hawkeye

What brand is this range?

On some of the higher end ranges they have an option for a “French Top” which is a flat piece of steel with removable plates. If you Google “French Top.” You’ll see them.

Some ranges have 4 gas burners, two on each side with a built in griddle between the burners.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:33 pm 
Hunter

The French top stoves are too wide. I only have room for a 30” wide standard stove. The oval burner stoves often have a removable cast iron or aluminum grill sort of like the French top, but smaller.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:49 pm 
Hawkeye

Oh I see. Are you remodeling your kitchen? We did that a couple years ago and went from a glass cooktop to a gas range. It took a bit to learn how to use it, but it’s so much better than one of those glass cooktops.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:03 pm 
Hunter

A kitchen remodel is in the near future, but our old oven gave up the ghost so we need to replace it. Luckily the burners still work, sort of. Time for a new one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm 
Hawkeye

Ours is a GE but I cannot tell you the exact model number. It's a 30" unit with two gas burners on either side of the central oblong burner, and a super-duper convection electric oven. We went with the gas cooktop because the electric range it replaces simply wasn't designed to handle the heavy pressure-cooker we use for produce canning. The gas burners are protected by the classic heavy cast grates that support the canner easily. The oblong central burner can use either a reversible heavy metal griddle or an equally heavy grate.

The controls for the electric oven functions are arranged on a panel at the rear of the unit, while the twist knobs for the gas burners are located at the front so you don't have to reach over a lit burner to make an adjustment. This arrangement is aimed at the elderly who might not be able to easily reach rear knobs, but not good for those who might have kiddies around. We are "semi elderly" with no kiddies, so this arrangement suits us perfectly. We've been using the heck out of it for the last several weeks "putting up" our garden crop.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:19 pm 
Hawkeye

Grouch Attack used the oval burner griddle ONCE to make pancakes before going back to a skillet. That burner hasn't been used since.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:33 pm 
Hawkeye

Those middle burners are good for more than just pancakes though.

We use ours for grilled cheese, or fajitas on “Mexican night...” think quesadillas or burgers. They make killer grilled onions and cheese burgers. I take a dome lid and use it to cover burgers to trap the heat inside. Great for melting cheese etc.

Oh, and that central griddle makes the worlds best over easy eggs. The other night we had eggs and hash browns for dinner...on the griddle.

We don’t know how we’ve lived without one all this time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:35 pm 
Hawkeye

We bought a new 30" GE kitchen gas range @ HomeCheapo this past Spring that has 4 different sized burners with the oval burner between, all cover by 3 heavy cast iron grates, as Ale-8(1) described above.

We've long used a griddle for making grilled cheese sandwiches, pancakes, fried eggs and toasted bagels/muffins/tortillas/etc.

I like the center burner for it's ability to evenly heat the griddles I already have/use, one aluminum & 1 cast iron (I didn't opt to buy the optional center griddle for $100).

When I want to vary the heat of the griddle, end to end (like for slow cooking eggs on one end while the other uses higher heat to toast a muffin at the same time), I slide the griddle over to span the large/small burner side of the range top.

Even with the griddle placed on the center burner, there's ample space on either side for my large soup/stew/lobster pots.

Also, this stove apparently has superior insulation, as oven use doesn't heat up the kitchen as much as the previous range we had.

Men tracht und Gott lacht - (Man plans, God laughs)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:05 am 
Hawkeye

I wanted to change out to one like that .... because you can easily slide pans around on the full size griddle over the burners.... I think your original question has been answered.... but when we went to buy one at the store they informed us that now all these gas ranges have a safety feature and the burners will not light if the power is off. Our older Sears Kenmore with just four burns you can light with a match if the power is off and there is no electronic spark. The guy at the store did hint that I could go on line and probably find a youtube video showing how to defeat this safety feature but we decided to keep what we had.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:20 am 
Hawkeye

You guys know way too much about kitchen stoves. I make it a point to not have much interaction with kitchen appliances.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:06 am 
Hunter

Mobuck wrote:
Grouch Attack used the oval burner griddle ONCE to make pancakes before going back to a skillet. That burner hasn't been used since.

I suspect that’s what we’d do. I like my frying pans I can put a lid or a screen cover on. We’ll likely get the one with the regular round burner in the middle. It seems like there’s often a need to heat another small pot. My wife is looking forward to using the convection oven. When she mentions chocolate chip cookies I don’t complain.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:43 am 
Hawkeye

I got to thinking and the last thing we used that oval burner for was under a an oblong roaster to boil corn on the cob.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:17 am 
Buckeye

I have a older model gas range-top. Controls are at the center front with the 5th burner in the center rear. Since there is (almost) no chance of small hands accidentally touching that area, it is where I keep the "tea kettle".