RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
Rancher Will wrote:
Halloween might be the night of education for some, as I remember a story I heard many years ago. Some here may remember these times.

One morning after Halloween, young Johnny was stopped by his father. The father said, "Johnny, I want to tell you a story. George Washington's father, when George was about your age, found his favorite Cherry Tree cut down one morning. He asked, George, "who cut down the Cherry Tree"? George replied, "Father, I cannot tell a lie. I admit that I cut down the Cherry Tree". Georges father then said, "since you are honest I will not punish you but only warn you not to do it again".

Johnny's father then asked, "Johnny, who tipped over our outhouse last night"? Johnny replied, "I admit that I did it". Johnny's father then whopped Johnny on his butt with his razor stop, about three good licks.

When Johnny stopped crying, Johnny said, "I don't understand. When George Washington told the truth his father forgave him".

As Johnny's father hung up his razor strop, he said, "Yes, but George's father wasn't up in the Cherry Tree when it was chopped down".

The story is told of the young man proud of his knowledge who was asked by his father what he knew about a certain event that occurred the day before. The young man with his ego getting the better of his common sense bragged about the prank giving great and intimate detail. At this point the storyteller pauses until one of the listeners asks what happened next. At that point the storyteller gives out a long drawn out sigh and says simply... That's when I learned the wisdom of not knowing a darn thing

Last edited by Selena on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
The appeal is many-fold. Above all it's a chance for children to take out their pretending in a socially acceptable way. Where they can "be" their favorite character, animal or person and be praised and rewarded for their imagination. It's a time when the neighbors stop yelling at them to get out of their yard and open the door for them with smiles, praise and treats. It's a time when all the scary stories - some old enough to be folklore are told for no other reason that to feel fear with the confidence you are really in a safe place. As noted before... It's a time when even adults can be excused for acting like children and for the brief time retreat back to those carefree days when responsibility was far away and fun was the rule of the day.

Again, as another pointed out it's a time when some adults choose to act like idiots and end up in an ER. But then those adults are also patients in waiting on Labor Day, Independence day, Memorial Day and Groundhog Day.Halloween is the day to look at the monsters, witches and demons that represent death and laugh in their faces in affirmation of life. How the idiots choose to spend the day doesn't negate the benefit to the sane people.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:49 pm 
Hawkeye

My husband claims to love it, he can go out looking like he normally does and nobody thinks it is odd!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:17 pm 
Hunter

Wendy, That reminds me of the only Halloween Party that I ever went to.

I went to the party not knowing that it was a Halloween Costume Party. I won First Prize.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pm 
Hawkeye

Mobuck wrote:
caramel apple milky way candy bars

Milky Ways are like Charleston Chews they need to be refrigerated or frozen to be at their best.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 pm 
Hawkeye

candy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 am 
Hawkeye

^^^^^^THAT!!!!^^^^^^

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member