RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:36 am 
Hunter

As a kid I enjoyed “trick or treating” because I ended up with free candy and cookies and sometimes some coins as well, and it was a night where a bit of mischief and pranks were easily forgiven. As an adult I went along with celebrating this strange holiday so as not to deny the same “trick or treating” fun to my own children. But now as an old grandfather I find that thinking about this holiday that I can’t come up with any reason why it really exists. I’m not a religious person so I am not offended by some feeling that celebrating Halloween is somehow “satanic” and evil in itself, but I just can’t really understand why it is celebrated at all. Maybe its just inertia in our culture, i.e., we have been making this into a holiday for so long that it just keeps on going. And maybe its just too much of a cash cow for those that make the costumes, candy, decorations, etc. that they will keep promoting the holiday for business purposes. It’s especially perturbing when I think about the special days to really honor important events, such as Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and other Federal holidays are just days off from work and maybe a sale at the local furniture store or something similar, yet this silly holiday of skeletons, ghosts and goblins is made as big or bigger than Christmas itself.

-"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
-"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will soon be plowing for those that didn't."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:48 am 
Hunter

It's a REALLY old tradition=dates back before Christianity. In Ireland it was Samhain, the fall harvest festival. Food was put out for the Sidhe (fairy folk) for their blessing in the coming year. It was also the time when the Bean Sidh (Banshees) met for a "family reunion" and Queen Anuna led the Great Hunt across the sky. The "common folk" could dress up and mock the fairies without repercussion (fairies were quick to be offended and unforgiving).

Christianity always usurped the indigenous pagan sites and festivals. Christ was born during Passover, but the Green Man Festival (celebrating the end of winter on Dec 21st) was in late December, so the Church decided to hold Christmas then. The same with the spring planting festival (aka Easter), as well as All Saints Day (All Hallows) supplanting the harvest festivals. Churches were usually built on pagan holy spots, as well. I just read of an old Irish legend about St. Patrick which is nearly identical to Beowulf and the Grendel!

Interestingly, I gleaned most of the above from a class called Critical Analysis of the Bible taught at the Southern Baptist University where I got my Bachelor's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 am 
Hawkeye

It's just a silly and fun day. I need no other justification. I miss having kids in my house, so if I can give any kid just a little bit of a good time, I'm all for it. The kids aren't gonna be kids very long, so if they can have a good time now, for any reason, they'll have some nice memories later.

And if an adult wants to have fun, that's great too. I love get togethers and parties. The more excuses the better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:44 am 
Hawkeye

Like the day before Christmas, Christmas Eve, it's the celebratory day before All Saints Day - a harvest celebration after a good year that supplied enough to tide one's family over the Winter months.

The candy & costumes are the result of dumbing down the feast day to make it more interesting to a wider range of folks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:19 pm 
Blackhawk

As a child = sweets

As an adult = nothing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:21 pm 
Buckeye

After working in ER's for 20+ years I determined that Halloween is
an excuse for adults to get drunk, act like idiots, do something
stupid and end up in my ER.
Your results may vary.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:46 pm 
Single-Sixer

WAYNO wrote:
It's just a silly and fun day. I need no other justification. I miss having kids in my house, so if I can give any kid just a little bit of a good time, I'm all for it. The kids aren't gonna be kids very long, so if they can have a good time now, for any reason, they'll have some nice memories later.

And if an adult wants to have fun, that's great too. I love get togethers and parties. The more excuses the better.

^^^^^^ this says it all for me...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:16 pm 
Hawkeye

caramel apple milky way candy bars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:47 pm 
Hawkeye

rugerguy211 wrote:
WAYNO wrote:

^^^^^^ this says it all for me...

^^^^^^And me as well. I enjoy giving the kids some candy and letting them pet the dog. He enjoys little kid company.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:54 pm 
Hunter

A day for kids to have some fun...and adults also. When my kids were young I wore a Superman costume under my cloths. The kids and my neighbors got a kick out of it. :)

Want to live a content life? "Fear God and keep His commandments"- King Solomon

Since Christianity is a Jewish sect, God's promise to Abraham to bless them as long as they keep his Commandments also applies to Christians.

Even one-celled animals have a unique DNA code. So who did the coding?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:53 pm 
Hunter

2nd most celebrated/decorated holiday on the calendar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:02 pm 
Hunter

RSIno1 wrote:

Here in San Francisco it holds the #1 slot, for sure.
I plan to be out of town...

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:25 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

It's FUN!!!

I realize there are a bunch of folks here who can't seem to remember how to spell that word, but there are just as many or more out there actually enjoying their lives. What's the matter with that?

Harumph! ;)

Rick C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:37 pm 
Blackhawk

WAYNO wrote:

This...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:39 pm 
Hunter

sfhogman wrote:
RSIno1 wrote:

Here in San Francisco it holds the #1 slot, for sure.
I plan to be out of town...

Jeff

We made the mistake of being on Fremont St in Las Vegas one year. https://vegasexperience.com/halloween/

My wife does take a moment on Halloween to think about her grandmother who was hung in Salem in 1692.