RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wal Mart Christmas
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:47 am 
Hawkeye

I guess I'm the odd man out, and maybe part of the crowd that the stores direct their (probably) early marketing to. Halloween stuff has been out for a month or better. Gives me lots of time to get the yard and house ready for the neighborhood kiddies, for their night. Spring fashions and garden stuff hits the shelves in January. But that gives me hope that Spring will be here. Dank, dark, wet winters get awfully long, and uplifting is necessary.

Christmas...yes, the marketing gets ridiculously earlier, but I love Christmas and everything about it. The traditional Christmas shows on TV, the Christmas music on the radio, Christmas decorations, all of it.

I remember a long time ago, I was young, I was a long way from home, I was lonesome, and thoughts of my uncertain future were very foremost. I'd go to the PX just to see the Christmas displays. I didn't have any money to buy anything, but seeing the Christmas stuff in the PX just gave me some peace. Call it dumb, and it probably was. So, although the displays are unseasonably early, at the same time I'm still a boy when I see Christmas stuff, even if it's early.

I think too, stores take advantage of melancholy moods that surface during Christmas. Christmas rekindles many memories of a lifetime. I remember that after the war, my Dad really never got "right". And as a result, our family severely struggled, financially. This was so obvious to a young person at Christmas. So I guess I made up for it with my family, and probably went way overboard. But I have such great Christmas memories, I never want Christmas to go away. If it comes early, I'm okay. Apparently it's disgusting to a lot of folks. I'd hope these folks could just ignore it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:10 am 
Hawkeye

SWR wrote:
Well, Sept 29th and its full blown wide open Christmas at Walmart. And Home Depot. And Lowes.

Is it just me or am I just being an old sour grump ?

Yes. Yes you are.

Welcome to the club.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:09 am 
Single-Sixer

Christmas: When you spend money you don't have to buy people you don't like stuff they don't need.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:55 pm 
Single-Sixer

Chief 101 wrote:
The law here states that anybody that plays Christmas music before November can be killed and their body can be used for Halloween decorations... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Problem is that like many laws it is never enforced...and that's a shame.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:20 pm 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
I got burned out on Christmas years ago by working for a Santa/Easter Bunny photo company.
Nine months its all Santa with three months of Easter thrown in.
Shipping and receiving all the stuff, sending costumes out for cleaning/repair, refurbishing the cameras inventorying supplies and ordering new, logistics, etc.
While the Santa stuff is coming in you are getting ready for Easter.
A couple years of that and you never want to see a Santa or Bunny again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:01 pm 
Single-Sixer

Pat-inCO wrote:

celebrate the event and not the gifts.

This. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:21 am 
Hawkeye

If you're into yard decorations, just stick a Santa cap on the pumpkin and you're done.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:35 pm 
Hawkeye

Chief 101 wrote:
The law here states that anybody that plays Christmas music before November can be killed and their body can be used for Halloween decorations... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I agree ! I once worked in an office that played all Christmas music over the PA system. I swear, that radio station played 147 different versions of "Little Drummer Boy". :shock: :evil: :shock: :evil: :shock: :evil:

I finally had to bring in a pair of shooting muffs after taking it as long as I could.