RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Mustang!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:09 pm 
Hawkeye

gramps wrote:
I am sorry, a 4 cylinder in a Mustang is heresy!gramps

Hi,

Part of me wants to stand up and cheer for you, gramps!

Another part reminds me of a consulting job a buddy was considering. It was with the US branch of the British Cosworth engine folks. Their HQ building is just a few miles from his home, and he says it's as good a "car museum" with just engines as some are with whole cars. He commented on how cool some of the stuff they're working on is. His guide thru the plant told him he needed to go to England to see the "really cool" stuff the company's working on.

Among the British entries is a 1.5 liter (90 cu in) 4 cylinder, which puts out 500 bhp. For many decades, 100 hp/liter was a magic number, hence 150 hp from a 1.5 liter would be reasonable. Then they started going crazy: this thing's doing 300+ hp/liter! I've only known Cosworth as a racing engine company, so I asked what racing venue it was developed for, as he already had. NOT a racing engine, but a street engine! AND, in one of their test chassis along the testing process, they'd exceeded 100 mpg. Sorry, Prius, but if they can do that, you're a gas hog!

I've driven more 4 bangers than anything else in my life, and they've been ok to get me from point A to point B, reasonably powered if one learns how to drive them, not too hard on gas. You know, they had the qualities we usually think 4 cyl engines are supposed to have. The last few years, though, have taught me what a dinosaur I am. Or may be... I still have a hard time thinking anyone will be seeing 200-300k miles on these things like econobox models often do--even if they cut the power in half--and what adjustments the driver must get used to. For example, will that little Cosworth have to be spinning at 5-7k rpm all the time? Will it need a 6-12 spd transmission to stay within its power band (a la the theory of the CVT, though a whole lot beefier.) Will US emissions laws turn it into an undesirable slug, or are EU emissions laws becoming strict enough the engineers can work that problem out locally before sending any to the US?

We have much to learn!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:36 pm 
Hunter

I didn't know they were using a 4 cylinder turbo in the new mustangs. My 2016 F-150 has the little 2.7 liter V-6 ecoboost engine. It is rated at 300 horsepower. I have to watch myself on the interstate or I will be going a lot faster than I mean to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:45 pm 
Hawkeye

Nice looking Mustang! Mustangs in GT form have been what I have always owned since first getting a license. Red is my favorite color for a car:

2014 GT. The only negative is with 420 HP it can get very fast very quickly before you know it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:09 pm 
Hawkeye

WendyZXZ wrote:
Nice looking Mustang! Mustangs in GT form have been what I have always owned since first getting a license. Red is my favorite color for a car:

2014 GT. The only negative is with 420 HP it can get very fast very quickly before you know it!

That is a gorgeous car. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:38 pm 
Hawkeye

Well in 1966-67 my Wifie worked for Hertz and they needed to deadhead a couple of cars from Houston to New Orleans and paid us $50 each plus expenses.
I don't remember what Wifie drove, but I drove "The Hertz Shelby Mustang" Black with the Gold stripe. A very nice ride.
Fast forward to 1996 and me being on a project in Morgan City LA for 4 months. I thought it would be pretty cool for the company to rent me a Mustang Convertible. Yep it was cool and a fun car to drive compared to the Ford Torus that I normally had :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 pm 
Hawkeye

WAYNO wrote:
That is a gorgeous car. 8)

Hi,

Yes, it is, Wayno! Gotta remember, Wendy married well--why do you think I've been trying to get her and Kenneth to adopt me? ;)

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:29 am 
Single-Sixer

I decided back in 2013 that I wanted some modern muscle. Keep in mind I'm a Chevy guy. Owned and raced Chevrolets for 45 years. One of our race cars is a 69 Camaro. I went car shopping. Drove the Camaro, Challenger and Mustang. This is how I rated them. #1 Mustang #2 Challenger and I can't believe to me the Camaro came in 3rd. So I ordered a 2014 GT Premium/Brembo package. Terrific car. I've had it 5 years and it only has 9000 miles on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:57 am 
Hawkeye

Evey Mustang I've had since my '69 390 mach 1, has worn a V8. I cannot imaging a four-cylinder turbo being a 150k mile motor? I have no experience with 4 cylinder engines aside from British roadsters.
Bet it runs great for 30k or so...?

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:57 pm 
Hawkeye

Thanks Wayno and Rick C! I agree, a Mustang needs to have 8 cylinders.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:50 pm 
Blackhawk

You guys really need to look at the specs of the 4cyl mustang motor. 310hp/350 ft lbs of torque at 3000 rpm. Pretty easy to bump it to 500hp with tuning and bigger turbo.

BTW I have a 94 5.0 GT convertible with only 225 hp and 285 lb ft of torque at 3400 lbs

Actually thinking about putting the 2.3 ecoboost in my '30 model A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 pm 
Single-Sixer

Anyone remember the (I think) 1986 Mustang w/4 cylinder turbo? I think it was an SVO? We had an '86 Merkur XR4Ti w/the same 4cyl turbo motor. Would fly on the hiway, sucked in town.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:41 am 
Blackhawk

I enjoy driving my 05 GT through the Ford lot so I can tell the salesmen that run out that it has one option the new ones don't have.......the title.

Why gun control? Because armed people will NOT willingly load themselves into railroad boxcars.