RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:28 am 
Hunter

eveled wrote:
I actually cut them into fairly large chunks. Put them in water brought it to a boil. Let them simmer a while spooned them out into a blender and puréed them and put them back into the pot. Then just treated it like any other soup stock. I’ve done the same with frozen butternut squash. It makes for a real thick soup or stew.

Cool, thanks, that sounds like a great way to do it. I'll give a try next time we make veggie soup.

Edit: I bet even microwaving the cubes would soften them up enough.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:59 am 
Hawkeye

Any Zucchini Lovers here? Not really i grow only for Linda. butternut squash, acorn squash are a whole lot better. I do not even know why they call it squash? Its all water no substance. More like a Cucumber than squash! You can have my share I'll take Butternut Squash any day. ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:18 pm 
Hunter

I baked some zucchini today with olive oil and Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning on it. Tasty, thanks for the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:53 am 
Hawkeye

powder smoke wrote:
Any Zucchini Lovers here? Not really i grow only for Linda. butternut squash, acorn squash are a whole lot better. I do not even know why they call it squash? Its all water no substance. More like a Cucumber than squash! You can have my share I'll take Butternut Squash any day. ps

Cause if you stomp on it, it goes squash! :shock: :mrgreen: The real reason is probably taxonic?
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:15 pm 
Single-Sixer

I do not love the z squash. There is a story. My Dad was a construction lineman who couldn't work. He decided that the family should garden. We gardened. Dad read in the Gurney's catalogue about an improved Zucchini. He plated two 30 foot rows. When they began producing he was ecstatic. Look at all that FOOD he would say. We ate Zucchini.
Actually me and Mom ate Zucchini. Dad ate frozen pizza and ice cream to "settle his stomach". I had Zucchini 2 meals a day for weeks.

Dad then decided that Zucchini should be introduced to the rest of our small southern Indiana town and that I could make some money. So my bicycle was loaded down with Zucchini and I pedaled over hill and dale, mostly hill, and knocked on doors attempting to sell Zucchini. Dad stayed at home under the air conditioning.

It was an interesting study in sociology to try to sell small town folks zucchini in the early 1970's. Did I mentioned I had zucchini on my plate two meals a day?

Mrs. Thumbcocker once mentioned planting some zucchini in our garden. I told her that I had really enjoyed being married to her and hoped that she would do well in her next marriage.

I don't like zucchini.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:01 pm 
Hunter

Someone told me when they lived in Florida if you went to the strip mall this time of year you had to lock your car or someone would give you a Zuchini!

I grew up calling them Italian Squash by the way. I’ve never planted any, but have always had plenty. Easy to grow and there’s always someone giving it away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:24 pm 
Buckeye

Thumbcocker, two thirty foot rows of zucchini would be more zucchini than I would ever want to have, and I like zucchini.
I just looked up the yield of zucchini plants. It is 6 to 10 pounds per plant. (Seems low to me!)
Spaced 3 feet apart, that is 11 plants for each row for a total of 22 plants. That would be 220 pounds of zucchini. That's a lot of squash to eat in one season. Half of that output would still be problematic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:49 am 
Hunter

I think it’s delmonte sells it in a can with tomato sauce. The flavors go well together makes me think my “purée and hide it in soup” idea would work well in a pot of sauce too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:51 am 
Hunter

A pot of sauce could easily take one puréed zuchini I bet you’d never notice it and it would cut the acid of the tomatos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:01 am 
Single-Sixer

eveled wrote:
Someone told me when they lived in Florida if you went to the strip mall this time of year you had to lock your car or someone would give you a Zuchini!

I grew up calling them Italian Squash by the way. I’ve never planted any, but have always had plenty. Easy to grow and there’s always someone giving it away.

Having been raised in FL I can attest that the zukes were planted closest to the neighbor's fence and that the yellow crook neck squash was planted on the orher side of the garden behind the okra. This was done to trick the neighbors into stealing the zukes and leaving the crook necks for us to actually eat. Yellow crook neck squash sauteed with a couple slices of bacon and chopped onions is so good your tongue will beat your brains out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:25 am 
Single-Sixer

Zucchini and okra would be a very effective barrier to keep me out of a place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:09 pm 
Hawkeye

Go easy on okra. I don't like it much except fried. Fried okra is very good. It tastes a lot like fried clams which is one of my very favorite foods on this planet.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:32 pm 
Single-Sixer

exavid wrote:
Go easy on okra. I don't like it much except fried. Fried okra is very good. It tastes a lot like fried clams which is one of my very favorite foods on this planet.

Yep fried okra is delicious. Okra is also a welcome addition in vegetable soups and gumbos.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:31 pm 
Hawkeye

Unfortunately I'm not much of a veggie eater at all. It's an embarrassment at times, but it is what it is.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:00 pm 
Single-Sixer

Zucchini can also be used to make a good relish. Yellow squash too!