RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:40 pm 
Hawkeye

Those are wonderful pictures, looks like some beautiful country!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:41 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

I wonder if you've noticed something I have, Ken:

Every part of this country has its beauty. Even New York City for the city lovers is beautiful. And tons and tons of people live in cities, from small to huge.

But...

Can anything anywhere else in the country even come close to producing the feeling that "I'm looking at the definition of BIG" I get looking at my own "back yard"--the West--as it were?

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:40 pm 
Hawkeye

Pinkman is cooking again! :mrgreen: Taken on a road east of North Cascades NP.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond! :)

Rick, I've been to all the lower 48 states and can say that I've seen beauty in every single one of them, and this includes NJ and KS. KS: Mile after mile after mile of groceries feeding our country and others. It's simply amazing! Yes, even cities have their own special beauty even if the dregs of society live in them.

The west has a charm that the east doesn't have, or at least to the extent the west has it. I still prefer to live in the east, though. I don't think most people even see the beauty surrounding them in any given moment.

I had no plans to visit the incredible Grand Teton NP again. I posted many pics from last year's trip. I wanted to get from here to there and this was the way. I still stopped at an incredibly beautiful scene there and a middle aged couple from Australia talked with me. He asked me if I thought the people of my Country appreciate what incredible beauty we have from coast to coast; it was not his 1st trip. I said Yes, I think they do. I got to thinking about it and thought--No, they don't. He did, though.

I think so many people miss most of what's right there in front of them. This is what I mean. Why did I take this particular pic at Old Faithful when OF was actually to the left?

People miss this, or they just don't care. Some of the best pics of this trip show this, and they're as beautiful as the snow capped mtns.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:30 pm 
Hawkeye

Cholo wrote:
The west has a charm that the east doesn't have, or at least to the extent the west has it. I still prefer to live in the east, though. I don't think most people even see the beauty surrounding them in any given moment.

Hi,

I think you hit on it right there, Ken: people who don't know WHAT to look for see little or nothing. Case in point is our local desert. When my family moved to the area where my brother and I still live, we came from San Diego. We didn't live on the water's edge, but were close enough to see it any time we wanted to go out in the front yard and look between ours and the next door neighbors' houses. Better yet was to climb up on the fence in the back yard, where the view was unobstructed by houses. Beautiful sunsets over the bay were a nightly thing, yet being common, I don't think I ever really paid enough attention to them.

But... once a year, sometimes twice, we'd head out to the desert, either camping or dove hunting. Most people I knew thought the desert's pretty ugly. I kind of agreed, until I saw my first desert sunrise and started to change my mind, and I was thoroughly hooked after the first desert sunset. It was one of those where there were big hills to small mountains all around, and just to watch the colors change on the rocks was an incredible sight. I'm thankful for that little bit of introduction, because the first time I hiked down the Grand Canyon, we were in an area where those incredible color changes put our local rocks to shame!

Funny thing, the desert grows on a lot of people. I have a friend who originally came from MN. Pretty green, lots of water, little mosquitoes in a hurry to cart you off before the big ones come and steal you from them. Hey, that's how she described backpacking there. Anyway, her first husband was a rock climber, and talked her into moving to Joshua Tree, near SoCal's climbing Mecca in what's now a National Park. She had little good to say about the place, rock climbing, or him, but then had two changes of heart. First was to send him packing. Second was to take a class in desert gold mining at the local community college--there was a lot of gold taken out of that part of the desert 150 or so years ago--and she met a number of locals who were full of desert lore.

Today, some 25+ years later, it would be hard to find a better tour guide to show and tell you about the local sights, and you wouldn't dare say anything bad about the desert's beauty around her! I've seen it happen to others, too. And I think many other folks do get "hooked" on the beauty of their own back yards, wherever they are. At least I hope they do!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:08 pm 
Hawkeye

Rick, don't forget that desert sky at night! :)

I cut thru the upper panhandle of ID via Bonner's Ferry to Kalispell, MT. The last time I was in Kalispell was when I hitched there from TN in '75. I was getting married in 2 months and I knew that would put the brakes on my motorcycling and hitching around this beautiful country. If I had it to do over again... :(

Glacier NP was the most difficult park to get just the right pic in. I got some good ones using the Panoramic feature on my phone, but they won't fit on the Forum. It's an amazing place! The road thru the park is narrow and either without a shoulder and a steep drop off or the rock walls came right to the edge of your lane. I can't imaging how many mirrors have been blasted off over the years. Fortunately for me most of the traffic was moving west to east so nobody had to navigate the other lane much and most of us rode the center line.

Now, this was funny. I saw this long orange and black bus type vehicle that looked like it was from the 20's in front. It came to a stop and all these geriatric white hat covered heads popped up thru the roof like they were on springs. They looked like baby birds squawking for a worm :mrgreen: It was hilarious! I came out of a restroom and 2 of these buses had pulled in. Many had gotten off so these were half empty, but you get the idea LOL

Headed south towards Yellowstone NP. There's no shortage of wind in MT :shock: It was a white knuckle drive to Livingston. Most of the time I didn't dare pass anyone because I never knew when the wind would blow me 2-3' in an instant. For the life of me I don't see how people pull these massive campers in wind like this and the steep narrow mtn passes you have to drive thru. I'd think it would be torture.

I got to the motel at 6pm and mentioned the wind to the owner. She told me I was lucky that I didn't get there 3 hours earlier. She was about 1 mile off I-90 and people were pulling into her motel lot asking if they could wait out the wind. Yikes!

I've been to Yellowstone 2 other times, but there were still a few things I wanted to see.

In '73 I rode my bike out this one lane one way road. Back then it said to keep an eye out for grizzles. No such sign this time, but it looks like they havn't improved it since then. I remember how beautiful the sky was that day. I lay down in a field, lit a cigar, and just stared at the sky. How peaceful it was.
Blacktail Plateau Trail

They weren't kidding the road was rough! I had to just crawl thru it, but I was enjoying it. There are 2 brands of vehicles that more pr**ks drive than any other brands--BMW and Range Rover. I'm doing about 5 mph now on this rough beautiful trail and a guy in a Range Rover is right on my *** swerving left to right and the look on his face was pure road rage X 50. I mean this guy was popping veins! You know, the best thing you can do when someone is this enraged is--STOMP MY BRAKES while I was watching this fool in my mirror. I'd give $1,000 to have had a video of it. He went from total rage to eyes that looked like 2 XL eggs in a frying pan in a nano second :mrgreen: He jerked the wheel to the left and had to drive the side of the embankment. I wish a Park ranger would have seen him driving off the trail like that.

I looked ahead and there he was right on the next guy's ***. Why is this fool even here?

Petrified Tree

The stupid runs deep in NP's. This just days after a 9 year old girl was thrown about 8' in the air by a bison in Yellowstone. They got right in front of it after I snapped this pic thru my windshield :roll:

No pics needed of Old Faithful. There are now several hundred people waiting for Not Old Faithful anymore. So I'm waiting the now 90-120 minutes waiting for the spurt in absolutely gorgeous weather! Nice people around me in the shade and one 30ish woman asked me if I've been here before. Yes, but last year there was a hailstorm while on my bike and I missed it. Oh, you ride motorcycles. Are you going to Sturgis. It starts tomorrow! I 'bout let out a gasp like Paul Reiser did right before the alien got him in Aliens.

How could I have not checked on this? :? I already have non refundable Flea Bag Motel reservations Cody, WY. Ugh... So now I'm in Cody and can't go to the Black Hills of SD because 495,000 Harley's are going to be there making more noise than this world has ever heard and there won't be a room between there and, um, Cody. Plan B. When life throws me lemons, I dodge them and drink Jack Daniels. I hate lemonade.

Well, it looks like I'm going back to CA :mrgreen: Except for having to backtrack, it turned out for the best as it almost always does.

If you've never been here, it's a must see, to say the least! I have no idea how many thousands of guns are here, but it's the largest gun museum in the world! It has, I believe, 5 sections. I started in western art and then hit the gun museum. I was in there for 6 solid hours and can say that I literally saw every gun on both floors, including the sliding doors below. It's simply amazing! Lots of "actual guns" are in there from Hollywood to Theodore Roosevelt. There's no need to post any pics. I do have pics of S&W's that are totally miss-marked.

What amazed me the most, even more than the incredible wood, was how impeccable the fit was! Even Civil War guns were finely fitted, at least the ones on display. A curator told me that when they get these fine firearms they put them on display without cleaning or wiping them down. Makes sense. Make sure you open all the sliding drawers and vertical displays.

So, I backtrack to Yellowstone and see more things I didn't see yesterday, and head west. I didn't play to re-visit Yellowstone or to go thru Grand Teton NP again, but there I was! In GT NP I met the couple from Australia I posted about in my last report.

Word of advice: If you visit Grand Teton NP do it from south to north. All roads anywhere are prettier from one direction than the other. I'll close with 3 pics from this amazing NP:

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:49 am 
Hawkeye

Rick Courtright wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if you've noticed something I have, Ken:

Every part of this country has its beauty. Even New York City for the city lovers is beautiful. And tons and tons of people live in cities, from small to huge.
But...
Can anything anywhere else in the country even come close to producing the feeling that "I'm looking at the definition of BIG" I get looking at my own "back yard"--the West--as it were?

Rick C

Rick Courtright wrote:

...we'd head out to the desert, either camping or dove hunting. Most people I knew thought the desert's pretty ugly. I kind of agreed, until I saw my first desert sunrise and started to change my mind, and I was thoroughly hooked after the first desert sunset.

I've thought of this many times. I've been in a lot of beautiful places. There's lots of kinds of beautiful, but nothing compares to BIG, like the West.

And the desert? If a feller really looks, there's more wildlife, more plants, and all the associated beauty, than anywhere. Ours is the high desert. I've spent many years combing the high desert, and I never get enough.

Ken, you've posted some truly wonderful experiences.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:36 am 
Hawkeye

Grand Tetons: “Grand Teton's name was first recorded as Mount Hayden by the Washburn-Langford-Doane Expedition of 1870. However, the name "the Grand Teton" had early currency. ... The origin of the name is disputed. The most common explanation is that "Grand Teton" means "large teat " or "large nipple" in French, named by either French-Canadian or Iroquois members of an expedition led by Donald McKenzie of the North West Company.”

I drove by ten years ago, didn’t get into the park- no time-my bad! Really enjoyed Yellowstone NP. Spent a night at Mammoth Springs-lots of elk in town, bison on the roads, Pronghorn out in the meadows. My second wife was a geologist, nothing like having a professor along for commentary. Thanks for sharing Cholo!
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:04 pm 
Hunter

Keep them coming--still enjoying the pics and dialog.

Quick story on Old Faithful. My son made a quick trips from Oregon to Denver to hang with his room mate on his drive home. They took the scenic route and hit several NP's on the trip. They hit Old Faithful as the crowd was leaving so had time to kill while waiting for the next show. While wandering around they were taking pics of some marmots/rock chucks/ground hogs---what ever you like to call them. They just happen to be taking pics when Mr Wiley Coyote showed up for lunch. They got pictures of him stalking, killing, and having lunch courtesy of the marmot family. :shock:
Not something many people will ever witness and will surely be one of his "life experience" stories.

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:08 pm 
Hawkeye

Cholo wrote:
Rick, don't forget that desert sky at night! :)

Hi,

Oh, yeah, that's a sight during just about any phase of the moon! Full moon, you can just about see color. Dark of the moon, the stars are so bright you can walk around just fine as soon as your eyes acclimate. On some nights the Milky Way almost looks like a solid white stripe some times, too.

It's not hard to figure why so many desert critters are nocturnal, including some of the people!

Rick C

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:52 pm 
Hawkeye

I've never seen much of NV except around Vegas and Carson City/Reno. I've heard Hwy 50 across the heart of NV from CA to UT was called The Loneliest Road in America by Life magazine in July 1986. It's still called that. I'm in, but I don't much of anything half a**ed. I'm riding it from the CA line to the UT line.

In the meantime, it's a long way to Lake Tahoe and I wanted to see what the hype was about. On the way I had dinner with Bear Paw Jack, always a pleasure :)

That Hwy 95 from Nampa/Boise to Winnemucca NV is a pretty lonely road itself. I was lucky to find a gas station when I did because the next one wasn't for about 80 miles. Next year I'm taking a heavy duty 5 gallon gas can with me. The van's 28 gallon gas tank is just too small.

Another thing: We're spoiled with great cell phone coverage here in the east. It gets pretty sparse out in the great wild blue yonder of the west! It was almost like going back to the horse and buggy or 2 strings and a cup :mrgreen:

Lake Tahoe: What can I say. Someone tell me what the appeal is in an overcrowded tourist trap of misery. Emerald Bay was pretty. The rest of it was like any other pretty lake but with lots more people. I'm glad I saw it, though, or I always would have wondered.

So now I cross back into NV on Hwy 50 heading east. It was really a very nice ride to UT! Mtns, openness, big sky--what's not to like?

The white band at the base on the mtn is fog, in the desert!

That gorgeous western sky!

I was looking for a place to stay in Ely and saw a little car show in the park. These cars were driven in.
Thumbs up! I'll just show you a dream car of mine. A matching # '70 454 SS Chevelle!

The end of The Loneliest Road in America at the UT state line.

I'm so glad I went back and did this hwy. I'd have been haunted by--I wish I would have. Sturgis happening the next day as I was told at Old Faithful was a blessing! Thinks seem to work out like that for me in life :)

Back to Ely and north on 93 towards ID. I really need to see more of Idaho. Gorgeous angry skies and hail are ahead. I'll be rained on for the 1st time this trip, and it was worth every drop and hail stone...

Oh, The Loneliest Road in America? Maybe in '86 it was, maybe. Still worth the drive!

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:36 pm 
Hawkeye

That Chevelle is sweet. I understand why that's your favorite. Ken, maybe you don't know this now, but the West is calling you. You are the kind of guy that can appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing you out here again!!! Maybe for the long term.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:45 pm 
Hawkeye

Shame on you BPJ, trying to lure Cholo away from his sweet Georgia home? :shock: :P
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:04 pm 
Hawkeye

Not leaving! :) The Atlanta Rhythm Section: Doraville

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi32yFeIBww

♪ ♫ Ooh, hot time in Dixie, hey it's funky but it's pretty--Sweet Georgia ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

:mrgreen:

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:19 pm 
Hawkeye

Ken, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your travels throughout the West. Love the pictures as well. I will admit to a tinge of jealousy. Thanks for the travelogue!

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:13 am 
Hawkeye

Cholo wrote:
Not leaving! :) The Atlanta Rhythm Section: Doraville

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi32yFeIBww

♪ ♫ Ooh, hot time in Dixie, hey it's funky but it's pretty--Sweet Georgia ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

:mrgreen:

That’s what I am talking about!!! Rick, critters like night time in the desert cause it is COOLER? :shock: :mrgreen: At least that is my reason.
gramps

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next