RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:45 pm 
Hawkeye

She sounds like quite a lady! Wow! I admire people who can take the time for such adventures. They really know how to get the most out of life!

I'd have driven the road to Mt. Whitney as far as I could have. I had new on/off road tires put on the van and I did quite a bit of dirt road traveling this trip. Some day around a campfire I'll tell you about my little SNAFU heading to Mt. St. Helens but going the wrong way up the forest service roads. I really didn't plan to drive up the mtn., just look at it from the observatory :mrgreen:

I stopped this thread because I didn't really see much interest. Let me know if there is because I was only on day 11 of the trip. I've seen "A neighbor had a cat in his tree" get more responses and views than this thread :)

www.GeorgiaCarry.org
www.GeorgiaGunOwners.org

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:08 pm 
Hawkeye

Cholo wrote:
I stopped this thread because I didn't really see much interest. Let me know if there is because I was only on day 11 of the trip. I've seen "A neighbor had a cat in his tree" get more responses and views than this thread :)

Hi,

What if we try to rope Wolfie in? He likes flyfishing and golden trout AND, if you take the road south from Whitney Portal Rd (which I believe is paved as far up as you're allowed to drive) you'll catch a road that goes up to the Cottonwood Pass trailhead. Well, they call it a road--it's a long way down if you swerve more than a few inches in a couple of places! You can only drive to the trailhead, then it's hiking from there on. If I read the map correctly, that's just about the eastern edge of the Golden Trout Wilderness, which is really more on his side of the mountain (west side.) There's some good flyfishing up there in the lakes and a couple of the streams. Golden trout aren't something you'll see a lot of, but when you do get one, they are absolutely gorgeous little guys (not much bigger than your hand for those I've seen.)

The only cats in trees story up there is probably not about Granny's little kitten, but slightly larger ones. ;)

Rick C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:20 pm 
Hawkeye

Rick, access to Golden Trout waters are not for the faint of heart or weekend warriors. However, the rewards are worth the effort. My secret (and favorite) Golden waters are a bit north of where you spake.

Cholo, I'm thrilled that you were able to see and experience just a few of California's wonders. Out-of-staters naturally tend to focus on the more politically publicized negative aspects of this much maligned paradise. I wish that I had had more time to explore with you. You've barely scratched the surface. Hell, I'VE barely scratched the surface and I was born here! One doesn't have to venture too far to be amazed and humbled by its natural beauty. Perhaps when I retire we can put together an excursion...

Do keep the details coming. I'm certain that there is more interest than you realize (and maybe some envy)

Peace and God bless, Wolfie.

"Liberalism can only exist after conservatism has built society."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:23 pm 
Hawkeye

wolfsong wrote:

Do keep the details coming. I'm certain that there is more interest than you realize (and maybe some envy)

Peace and God bless, Wolfie.

Yes. I was waiting patiently for the next chapter. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:45 pm 
Hawkeye

And maybe more than a little envy!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:05 pm 
Blackhawk

Also enjoying your post. Now I have to just had out there sometime to see it for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:00 pm 
Hawkeye

Finding the best places to view the Giant Redwoods isn't as easy as you'd think. Sure, we all know where they are, but I wanted to see the best way to drive thru them. Wolfsong and I tried to chart out the best places to see them during our visit. He made a phone call and between what I already knew and what wolfsong found out I had a plan.

I finally reached US 101 after the several hour delay due to east/west road closures. There just aren't that many roads that run west if you're in central CA north of Sacramento. So, there's my sign! :)

As I said last year about taking pics of the Redwood forests, it's difficult to capture the lack of light with a cell phone camera. The camera has the colors just right but gathers too much light when there isn't much. Towards the end of the trip my son showed me how to darken the images while taking them.

These are the trails I walked. You have to be careful not to step on the ferns. Like most any woods--it's easy to get turned around. Not many people visit this SP.

I stopped in the Redwood National and State Park visitors center 5 minutes before they closed. There's not much to see of Redwood NP unless you have a serious Jeep or hike in. Prairie Creek Redwoods SP is the place to drive thru and do hikes of 5 or so miles or less. I cut thru it on the way to get a motel in Crescent City, CA where I stayed last year on the bike.

Had to fill up and the pump cut off exactly when it was full to the very top :) $3.999 is better than the $4.299 I paid in Redding, CA.

1st thing the next AM before sunrise I left to travel back south to Prairie Creek Redwoods SP to ride it from south to north. This is a fog bank coming in off the ocean.

If you were to take a single road to see what the Giant Redwoods are all about, this is the one I'd take. It was 3 one way miles of unsurpassed beauty--every foot! The sun came up while I was on this road. This is what I wanted to see on this trip more than anything, and I wasn't disappointed. You'll only want to do about 2 mph in here. There's so much to absorb. If my back would have allowed me to do it, I'd have walked it with the small backpack I carried on some of my hikes. I could live all by myself back in here...

These are my headlights so you can see how little light there really is in here. It reminds me of how I vision The Black Forest in Germany to be.

On the way out I walked to Big Tree. I met a man there who likes to travel solo--I'm not alone in that regard :)

Back to the PCH heading north along the OR coast into WA. I had 2 wonderful days in the Giant Redwoods, but it's time to see more places...

www.GeorgiaCarry.org
www.GeorgiaGunOwners.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:28 pm 
Blackhawk

What a trip! I'll never get there, but it sure is nice to see the pics, thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:20 pm 
Hawkeye

Cholo my friend,
Just for the record I read every post that you enter on the Forum. Not just your fabulous trips , but all of them. I may not comment on them but I do read them. You always have something that I FIND interesting to say.
Bottom line keep posting away and don't worry about them not being received. I wish we still had the Ruger Fest so we could have a face to face. Really miss that.
Your Pard,
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:44 pm 
Hawkeye

The OR coast is pleasant with a lot of sandy beaches. It's really beautiful to drive the coastline of any large body of water, of which I believe the Pacific Ocean is one :) The 1st pic is of OR's sand dunes:

i stayed in Newport. I love the little in room motel signs like I saw last year in KS and MO :)

On to WA via the 4 mile long Astoria-Megler Bridge, the 2nd longest bridge I'll cross on this trip. WAYNO, heliman and I took it last year. It's quite impressive! I'll stay on the PCH into the west side of Olympic NP. The weather is starting to look ugly, as expected in the far Pacific NW. Up to this point in the trip I havn't hit rain once, just beautiful days one after another. I drove in the clouds so I guess you could say it was raining. I'll just call it a lot of a little misty :wink:

The WA coast:

I wonder if I'm near the furthest NW corner of the lower 48. Get back! It's right over there. Let's have a look!

Cape Flattery is on the Makah Indian Reservation. When you enter it on hwy 112 there are BIG signs that they want the tourists to read. I did. Damn... I turned around and then said eff it. I don't want to get back home and think I wish I would have...

Everything I've read said you have to have a paid pass to park at the cape. Nowhere said where to get one! There's a grocery store on the left that has them for about $15. I either got the last parking space or I made a new one. Doesn't matter...

Cape Flattery--the furthest I can be from my home in GA in the lower 48. How cool is that? 3,673.8 miles from the SE most part of the USA in Key West, FL. I went there right after Christmas '77 on my motorcycle. Lovin' it! :) I love these little waypoints!

Well, seems like I broke a cardinal rule of mine and that is to make a reservation in a motel before taking all day in a remote tourist spot. There were no rooms at the inns :( I had to skip the northern roads into the NP and head down to Olympia to watch my eyelids.

All in all a great day to see things I've never seen. So much more to see before I feed the worms...

www.GeorgiaCarry.org
www.GeorgiaGunOwners.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:31 pm 
Hunter

Keep writing and posting the pics. I check back at lease once a day. Wonder if the count of thread watchers does not change if you have visited previously??? If that is the case you probably have lots of us looking multiple times. While I have seen most of what you are posting, it has been lots of years and is always nice to see it through someone else's lens.

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:41 pm 
Hawkeye

Wyandot Jim wrote:
I wish we still had the Ruger Fest so we could have a face to face. Really miss that.

Hi,

Jim, if you guys can figure out how to revive the Ruger Fest, please let me know. I think I can find some beer money around here somewhere to send you! There's been a lot of water under the bridge since Tin Star, so the "story" level must be getting up there. ;)

Rick C

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:13 am 
Hawkeye

Rick Courtright wrote:
Wyandot Jim wrote:
I wish we still had the Ruger Fest so we could have a face to face. Really miss that.

Hi,

Jim, if you guys can figure out how to revive the Ruger Fest, please let me know. I think I can find some beer money around here somewhere to send you! There's been a lot of water under the bridge since Tin Star, so the "story" level must be getting up there. ;)

Rick C

Rick,
Thanks so much. I don't believe it will ever happen again. Having the Ruger Fest at Tin Star and the great folks that showed up was awesome. When I started this gathering I would have never imagined the number that came or the distances some came from.Tin Star is gone and unfortunately so are some of the Great Guys that made it GREAT.
I always thought it was just amazing of you to send $100 for us to buy GOOD beer and you weren't even there to help drink it.
Well come to think about it I never needed help. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:29 pm 
Hawkeye

Well, let's see how much aimless wandering I can do today. I didn't look at a map but Googled Mt. St. Helens and off I went. I knew something wasn't right because it was telling me to turn but there were no signs for MSH :? Let's see where it takes me. Oh, look, a sign.

Do you know how many Forest Service Roads (FSR) there are? :shock: I havn't had any cell service in awhile so I hope I can backtrack my steps. The gravel road was in decent shape. I rounded a corner and said--great! It was steep with a 90* turn to the right. What if it got steeper and I had to back down it without sliding off the sheer drop off in the bend? Unlikely, but still. I turned around and a car was going up. I asked them if they knew where the road went and they said they had no idea. It wasn't worth it to me.

So I'm going down the mtn. and here comes 2 cars going up full of India Indians, one a Prius! I'll be damned if I'll let a Prius go up this mtn. and I won't! So I start climbing back up and down comes 2 cars full of Indians, one a Prius. They stopped me and one asked where they were. I don't know! Seems they wouldn't climb that hill with the curve either LOL. It did get a little steeper around the curve and about 100 yds. later was a gravel parking lot for hikers to climb the mtn. All in all it was some great fun! I could have a blast out there with FSR maps!

I got back to the 1st main gravel road and scratched my head on which way to turn because I made a couple of turns. Suddenly, cell service where there once was none! So, do I look for directions about getting off this mtn in the few seconds I have before no signal again? No, I called WAYNO :mrgreen: Hep me Hep me LOL. I told him what happened and since I'm now so close to Portland if he and heliman could meet me for lunch. It was just a shot in the dark, but it worked! We ate at a nice steakhouse next to my motel. These are 2 fine men!

I looked it up on the map from the signs I took pics of. The gravel road ended up at http://www.google.com/maps/place/Climbe ... 122.183622

This was a really fun day. I take some ridiculous ride up the back side of Mt St Helens and enjoyed every minute of it! BTW: To get to the Johnson Ridge Observatory where everyone else goes? 122 miles when it's only 7-8 miles as the crow flies. Too funny! :mrgreen:

The next day I went to the observatory. Damn, that mtn blew sky high! :shock:

Tomorrow I drive to Mt. Baker, WA and then North Cascades NP. Simply beautiful!

www.GeorgiaCarry.org
www.GeorgiaGunOwners.org

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:43 pm 
Hawkeye

Mount Baker, along with Mount Shuksan, were out of the way but well worth a trip to the top! Look at how much snow is still on the mtns this year. It made for some gorgeous scenery!

This is Mount Shuksan just below the summit. This is some amazing beauty!

Where the North Cascades NP pics were taken has a steady wind of at least 50 mph. Unreal :shock:

www.GeorgiaCarry.org
www.GeorgiaGunOwners.org

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next