RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm 
Hawkeye

Another GREAT report.

Quote:
We crossed into enemy territory (NY) from PA on I-86 to I-88. For those who have never been to upstate NY, it's gorgeous!

You are 100% correct about upstate NY. While we lived 30 miles North of Montreal in 1971 we spent a lot of time in upstate NY, NH, Connecticut, and ME. NY and New England gets a bad rap because of NYC. kind of like CA. because of the big cities.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:45 pm 
Hawkeye

Cholo:
There, I finally managed to work through this thread. Wow! Those are some great pictures. I'm very impressed. I've heard of Voyageurs National Park but haven't made it there. I spent two summers working at Crane Lake, at a resort right up there just about 20 miles or so from International Falls MN. It's very, very nice up there... in the summer that is.

Thanks for all the pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm 
Hawkeye

Cholo, I've done a fair amount of exploring parts of the country. Up and down the east coast, up and down the west coast, and two crosscountry trips from east to west, but nothing as rambling and rolling and carefree as your epic journeys. 3 places on my bucket list are the Custer Battlefield, Gettysburg and Arlington Nstional Cemetary. Cooperstown would be a fourth...If Ihad to choose a place to revisit it would be the Grand Canyon. In fact, my good friend Jerry and I are putting together plans to do a raft trip through the canyon now that he's had successful back surgery and a hip replacement. Perhaps you might be interested in joining us? Give it some thought...

Peace and God bless, Wolfie.

Are you gonna cowboy up, or just lay there and bleed?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:01 pm 
Hawkeye

Jim, New England, including upstate NY, is some of the most beautiful country in the lower 48.

Kevin, glad you're enjoying the pics. IF, MN is incredibly beautiful in the summer! Clean air, fresh deep blue water, and mild temperatures. Boats out the yazoo, too, with all those lakes up there! The fishing must be amazing. Where do they put all those boats once the lakes freeze 20' thick? :?

Great, wolfsong. Now I have to go back to MT to see Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument and I stayed in Billings right before I did the Beartooth Hwy. :x My OCD is kicking in :mrgreen: I'll think on the Grand Canyon trip.

We left the next day and took the northern route, I-90, to visit Niagra Falls. I havn't been there since I was a kid; Wayne never has. They're still quite impressive!

When I was there as a kid I remember how ugly Buffalo, NY was. We're about to go back thru it so has it improved any? It's still the ugliest most decrepit city I've ever seen in any country. It's literally depressing. I told Wayne how ugly I remember it and he said it was far worse that he imagined. Plus they get 93" of snow per year. Ugh...

Yup, Ohio has a NP, Cuyahoga Valley NP. It's one of the newer NP's established in 2000. If I had this trip to do over again, I'd just have pics of the NP signs without me in them. I think it makes for a better pic. This is a hiking NP, not a drive thru. There is a 3 hour train ride, but we didn't wait for it.

Wayne showed me how to darken the pics to look more natural in places with little sunlight. I wish I'd have known that in the Giant Redwoods :(

Located around OH, this is one of the finest outdoor sporting goods stores I've ever been in, and I've been in 2 of them. Nice!

The last 3 Labor Days we've taken a few Cleveland Indians games, but they were away this year as well as the Pittsburgh Pirates about 2 hours away. So, why not take in an Akron Rubber Ducks game? They are a AA affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. It was the last game of the year and they called out seat #'s for prizes. I won a base used in the game. It must have been 3rd because it didn't have much dirt on it :mrgreen: I gave it to Wayne.

This is what the van looked like towards the end of the trip. It only rained 2x in 9 weeks. The bugs literally get ground into your windshield and an hour of solid rain won't remove them with the wipers. Those gas station squeegees are useless. Next trip I'm bringing a stepping stool and a heavy duty cleaning utensil so I don't have to be looking thru bugs all the time.

The windshield crack kept getting bigger and bigger, so it now has a new one. Let's see how long it will last. It's had 2 replacements.

My trip was over, but my vacation wasn't. Not without going with my oldest daughter and SIL to see Dwight Yoakam in Chattanooga.

I've now seen 98% of what I've always wanted to see in the lower 48. The only schedule I had to meet, and it's just because I wanted to, was to spend 5+ days with my son over Labor Day and be home in time to see Dwight Yoakam. Other than that, I didn't have a plan except to see things I've never seen, or have not seen in decades.

It really leaves me with--What's next? I want a 3 day trip to Macon GA to see where Duane Allman and Berry Oakley met their end. No, I'm not macabre; it's just a sad part of my past. They're buried with Greg in the Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon. I want to visit there, but that's 3 days max.

I think I have next years Great Adventure in the planning stages. I'll follow up with thoughts about this trip. Thanks to all who've enjoyed it :)

PS: If anyone has any questions about anywhere I've been this year or last, or in my life :) , just post it here. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:55 pm 
Hawkeye

Ken, did you happen to make Lake Itasca, MN? Up there, the source of the Mississippi River is only about 10’ wide.....

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 pm 
Hawkeye

I didn't go there, but that's the kind of waypoint I like.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:42 am 
Blackhawk

Cholo, I have enjoyed your trip through your pictures and excellent narration. Thanks for taking time to post these and to think enough of your fellow RF members to share them. Your Harley journey last year was excellent as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:01 am 
Single-Sixer

Cholo what a great adventure thanks for taking us along. Where we going next time?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:23 pm 
Hawkeye

I'm glad you've both enjoyed it.

Where next? I've always wanted to drive to Alaska and tour around, maybe do some fishing. I also want to see more of Maine than I have. Then it would be on to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador.

Ahhh, choices :)

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:40 pm 
Hawkeye

I am another who has enjoyed the pictures and stories from the road!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6