RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:56 pm 
Hunter

"I've got a few NP's to visit in SW UT. Time to move on..."
That's where we live. Honk when you pass through.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:23 am 
Hawkeye

Nice trip Cholo! Thanks for sharing your pictures.
gramps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:06 am 
Hawkeye

Beautiful country & pictures,,I'm worn out just reading about your adventure. :)
Hope you have many more trips planned.
Terry

Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Sixgun Man

Last edited by T.A. WORKMAN on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:04 am 
Hawkeye

The building at the top of Pikes Peak was under construction so there was limited access. Frank, if I'd have bought a donut I doubt 1/2 of it would have survived to test it like you did :)

Colorado really is gorgeous!

Now I was in UT. What in the crystal meth dope smoking world is this swill? 85 octane is considered regular? You're kidding, right? I'm not using it. I believe Idaho had the same thing.

Here's a NP most have probably never heard about.

The main road thru the Park was nice but not spectacular. The petroglyphs were really cool, but very hard to see and photograph. These were way up there! This was made between 600 and 1300 AD.

The real beauty of the Park is taking Scenic Drive to the end of the paved road and then taking the dirt road to the end, Capital Gorge. Now, that's nice! The narrow road winds thru the gorge with cliffs right at the road. I was fortunate to see 3 Desert Bighorn Sheep with the largest climbing out on a ledge that didn't look to be 2" wide. No pics of it on the ledge, only video that I don't know how to upload.

The Gorge

I took the slower but more scenic route, Hwy. 12, to get to Bryce Canyon NP. I really enjoyed that ride along with its 14% grades. Very scenic!

Well, I got to Bryce Canyon NP after the dreaded 10:30AM I talked about. It was a nightmare full of people. The 1st 2 scenic pull offs were completely jammed with a line of cars waiting to find a parking spaces. Great! I got in the 3rd one and it really was pretty! I got in the rest of them but never could get near the 1st one. Oh well.

I finally got in the 2nd pull off after traveling all the way to the end of the Park. There weren't many spots at the railing to view the formations. I just had to get stuck next to a basement dwelling full fledged communist loudly trying to convince 2 elderly women of their need to pay much higher taxes, and he was LOUD!

"Paying the government higher taxes is a good thing! Let's have a discussion about that. The government needs more of your money!"

"But we can barely make ends meet as it is."

"Everybody can be more thrifty, even you two. Let's discuss ways you can be more thrifty. Remember, the government needs more of your money."

I had to walk away. It wasn't my battle, and if I said what was on my mind, it wouldn't have ended well, not at all. I have no patience for fools like that. What possesses people to talk their politics to strangers in a NP? NP's are calming and not a place for unsolicited political drivel from either side. I was taking a vacation away from politics. Om... :)

The next day I hit Zion NP bright and early. You have to take a shuttle bus into the main area of the Park.

I walked the trail to the end, something I couldn't have done 4 months earlier. The physical therapy is really working! There's a place where water seeps thru the rock cliff. The shuttle driver said that it takes the water 1,100 years to get from the top of the cliff to the bottom. He mentioned that the water had been tested to give it that 1,100 year time frame. I wonder how they do that? :?

Stayed in Pahrumph, NV--the home of Front Sight Firearms Training Institute. It was a pretty good sized town. 1st thing in the AM I'll be hitting Death Valley NP, CA. I've been wanting to go there for years. Last year I would have on the bike, but it would have added 2-3 more days in the record heat. Not a problem this year.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:52 pm 
Single-Sixer

Excellent adventure

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:18 pm 
Hunter

This is starting to look like a contender for "The Post of The Year."

Judging by what we have seen so far, it has my vote already!! :D

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:31 pm 
Blackhawk

Great pictures. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:59 pm 
Hawkeye

This really is a place I've wanted to visit most all of my life. So foreboding. I was so close last year, but the heat :( So, how hot was Death Valley in July last year when I almost came here on the bike?

www.livescience.com/63234-death-valley-heat-record.html

I probably wouldn't have explored it like I did this year. I came into the Park via Death Valley Junction. Well, let's see what's down this road :)

The hottest temp. on earth was recorded in DV at 134*F in 1913. I got here really early and by the time I left in was only in the 90's. It did warm up quickly, though. You can see my van in the pic of the Badwater. Damn, this NP was packed with people :mrgreen:

Look at the rock formations in the mtns. Giant upside down V's showing exactly how the layers were pushed up from the earth so many years ago when they were formed. Gorgeous!

Check out the massive salt strip while leaving DV to the west. You can see the road carving its way thru.

You leave DV to the west, but you have to go thru steep mtn. passes and tight turns. I simply can't imaging the joy it must be to be dragging a 700', more or less, motor home thru this. No way!

I knew the Sierra Nevada Mtns. would be on the other side with their snow capped peaks. It seemed like I'd never get out of the desert mtns. to see it, but there they were! Soon enough I was in the valley between the mtns. of Death Valley to the east and the Sierra Nevada Mtns. to the west. What an amazing abrupt transition! It was mind boggling. Those are snow covered mtms. in the background, not clouds.

I hit Hwy 395 N in Lone Pine, CA. What I didn't know, and there weren't any signs to tell me, was that Mt. Whitney, the highest mtn. in the lower 48, was right there west of me. I saw it but didn't know what I was looking at :( Obviously I didn't get a good look at it from the hwy. or I'd have taken pics. Damn...

395 was beautiful! Snow capped mtns. to the west, barren mtns. to the east. I found out, thru a search with Forum member wolfsong a day later, that both of these mtn. ranges are the Sierra Nevada Mtns. Get back! Yup! :) 395 is between extreme eastern CA and western NV. Hwy. 395 is a hidden gem of a drive! Pics of the west side of the hwy:

I want you to look at the sky in all my pics. It's simply amazing! It stays this way for almost the entire 9 week trip. When it got ugly? The sky was still incredible. I wish I had this fabulous weather last year without the forest fires, but I'm thankful to have it this year :)

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:06 am 
Blackhawk

Once again,great pictures,and great narration!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:24 pm 
Hawkeye

I left early for Yosemite NP. I was near there last year but they closed it due to the fires. I entered via the east entrance. I didn't get there until 7:45, bad move.

I got to the Falls at 9:30 and it was packed! I drove around looking for a parking space and just gave up. There had to be thousands of people there. It didn't help that I was there on a Sunday :( Got this pic of one of the falls from the side of the road.

I didn't give this NP a fair shake. I'd have been fine if I'd have entered via the east entrance, but I wasn't coming from the east. Oh well.

When I finally got cell service I gave Forum member, wolfsong, a call. He answered to my surprise! It was good to see him again. We ate smoked fish and toured the farmland around his place. I mentioned that I wanted to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. I also mentioned that I'd been thru some mtn. passes with a 14% grade. He said that's nothing and that Sonora pass is 26% grade :shock: I know where I'm going next! I left after dark and the mosquitoes will eat you alive! It literally looked like a blizzard in my headlights. Not kidding!

wolfsong recommended visiting an old mining town named Bodie. Most of the town burned at one point or another, but what remains is incredible intact. At one point the main street had 65 saloons :shock: The town was divided, more or less, with the partiers on one end and ther Woman's Temperance League and their downtrodden husbands on the other :mrgreen: Some of the buildings you could walk around in. Curators in period correct clothes were everywhere to answer your questions. The $18 admission price will keep you entertained for hours. I really enjoyed it!

This is the view heading west out of Bodie to get back on the gorgeous Hwy. 395 with the Sierra Nevada in the background.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:03 pm 
Hawkeye

395 north to Carson City, NV. I can't tell you how pretty that hwy. is. If you have a choice of traveling up central CA or eastern CA, take eastern! I thought about the Ponderosa in Carson City. I've seen very little of NV other that here and the area around Las Vegas. That will change later in the trip. Back into CA...

What a beautiful little hidden gem! More outrageously beautiful weather and skies. I havn't been rained on since I left, and nary a forest fire!

Bubbling sulfur pots. I would advise against jumping in for a bath :)

The following pics are some of the most amazing pics of nature I've ever taken! This area was simply breathtaking! The colors are not enhanced. This is what it actually looked like. Wow! This is just past Emerald Lake. Maybe it was the same lake; hard to tell with all the twisties.

On to Redding, CA, home of the $4.30 a gallon gas, the highest of the entire trip. I stopped and paid $165 for a room at the Best Western, the highest of the trip. I took one look at the outside entrance room and canceled the charge. It was a Super 8 motel at best, and I stayed at a lot of Super 8 motels. Stayed up the road at a decent place for about $90.

I like nice motels the same as everyone else. I certainly don't have a deep pool of $ so if I want to take these trips, I need to keep it at $150-175 per day. I'm not blowing it on one motel.

It seems that the hwy. from Redding to the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) is closed ahead. South on I-5 to Red Bluff where I stayed last year. I was really not wanting to retrace any steps I've taken in the near past. Well, hwy. 36 was closed far ahead starting at 12 noon, probably where I ran into the road out last year on the bike. I could have probably made it before 12, but the odds were that they'd decide to close it early because nobody was coming thru and why not? I wasn't chancing it. More south on I-5 to Williams where I could finally head to the CA coast.

I'm finally going to spend some quality time in the giant Redwoods of California. Really looking forward to it... :)

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:13 pm 
Single-Sixer

Great trip, really enjoying your pictures.

Former VFD Fire Chief/E.M.T.....Trying to age gracefully......don't think its working!..... Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel. ~John Quinton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:09 am 
Hawkeye

HI,

Re: Lone Pine, CA

When you were in Lone Pine, Ken, did you take a short run west of town on Whitney Portal Rd? That road heads up to Whitney Portal, the jumping off spot for hikers and backpackers going up Mt. Whitney or going up to meet the John Muir Trail. You'll run into a big campground just before you get to the main parking lot. This is if you go to the right when you can.

If you go to the left, you'll be headed toward the Alabama Hills area. This winter when you just want to stay inside and watch a movie, a great number of Westerns filmed between the late '30s era (John Wayne was still with Republic Pictures) going forward perhaps to the early '60s or so were shot in the Alabama Hills. Watch enough of them, and you start to recognize certain rocks and twists in the road. Also, now that you know what Mt. Whitney looks like, watch the background carefully. Many, many of those old films include a cameo shot of the mountain, sometimes bare, other times with plenty of snow on it! Just depends on when they did the filming.

And if you go back to Lone Pine, there used to be two restaurants in town that had been there since the "early days" and they had all kinds of old pictures of just about every Western hero and damsel in distress you can think of. They may or may not still be under the same ownership and may or may not retain their old ambiance. One of them specialized in what some might think "exotic" burgers last time I was there: bison, ostrich, maybe gator and a few others. They were really close to the intersection of 395 and Whitney Portal Rd. in the center of town. It's been 10+ years since I've been there, and a lot of things along 395 were changing...

Glad you had a great trip, and I hope next summer holds another one for you!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:45 am 
Hawkeye

Rick, I hit 395 from 136 never even realizing Mt. Whitney was due west of me. I should have known my geography a little better :oops: I ended up staying in Bishop where I realized I had been so close. I don't recall there even being a sign for it unless I just missed it.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:40 pm 
Hawkeye

Cholo wrote:
Rick, I hit 395 from 136 never even realizing Mt. Whitney was due west of me. I should have known my geography a little better :oops: I ended up staying in Bishop where I realized I had been so close. I don't recall there even being a sign for it unless I just missed it.

Hi,

In your defense, Ken, I don't recall much signage indicating where you were or what you were looking at! I guess the locals figured they didn't need a sign, and the tourists would probably look at any ol' mountain and be happy!

On the "any ol' mountain" front, a little ways to the south of Whitney are three or four peaks coming in close to 14k ft. Whitney itself has several survey monuments from different surveys over the last 100 and some years. When my brother and I climbed it, in '71, they ranged from 14490 to 14496 if memory serves, and the patches in the souvenir shops said 14,494. He and his wife went back a few years later, and there was at least one new marker. Today the latest figure I've heard claims 14,505. Yep, even the Sierra Nevada is still in motion!

Anyway, we had a local lady named Hulda Crooks who first climbed Whitney when she was 65, and repeated the climb almost two dozen times until she was 91. A couple of years later, whoever's in charge of naming mountains got Congress to change the name of one of those to the south to honor Ms. Crooks. A search for "Crooks Peak" should bring up plenty of stories. Here's one from the Wiki guys which tells about many of her other climbing feats as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulda_Crooks

If I recall from newspaper stories, she needed help getting there, but was at the location for the renaming ceremony somewhere up the hill a ways. She was about 94 then, and passed at 101! So next time you make it to Lone Pine, look due west from Whitney Portal Rd and you'll see Whitney to the right, and Ms. Crooks' mountain in one of the clusters just to the left (south.) And you can sound like an expert telling the first "really lost looking" tourist your tale!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next