RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:32 pm 
Hawkeye

Or people that just get carried away? For some reason that's the way I am with some things. I put a WTB in a classifieds recently thinking I'd like one particular scope for a rifle, but I ended up buying 4 scopes. As a result, I decided I probably need to sell 3 or 4 other scopes I've had for a while. Not sure how many back up scopes a buy needs but if you go by my inventory, it's quite a few. So, I guess I will put some on the classifieds.

I mean, I understand Rugeritis, and I've got it, but I'm not including 3 or 4 other scopes I plan on using on something at somepoint. :mrgreen:

I can't be the only impulse buyer on here. What have you gotten carried away on recently?

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:52 am 
Buckeye

I suppose I have a variable gun wish list in my head. I very rarely make a definitive purchase plan for one gun or another on my wishlist, but I have done it. A bunch of the other guns that I have purchased have been impulse purchases, because they were too good to pass up. Like a Smith model 64 police trade-in, looking as if it were never issued at $180. Or a Smith model 17 with a little holster wear for $180. NIB GP 161, $280 etc etc.
But I never bought more than one gun at a time.
I almost never do stuff on impulse. I am one of those people that usually overanalyzes most things, sometimes not acting when I should.
I suppose that I proposed to my wife impulsively. I didn't expect her to say yes, so I was kind of stuck when she did. I could not think of a good non embarrassing way out of that situation. Next anniversary is 38 years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:45 am 
Hunter

I’ve done it more than once. Keeps life interesting for sure. If doing the paper work and background check anyway I’ll look around to see if there is anything else that peeks my interest and make it a package deal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:00 am 
Single-Sixer

Yup, guilty as charged. I have a weakness for Berettas, always wanted a 92 compact & some became available recently due to a "supposed" cancelled government contract I got one. Then last week some surplus 81 Cheetahs in .32 acp (!) came up for $250....yeah. I can't get enough 10/22's to mess around with. Ruger revolvers are a given. Some impulse accessories I've picked up & wondered- why'd I buy that have gotten used 'till worn out- so all is not lost-Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 am 
Hawkeye

I own lots of scopes and often "binge buy" but within a narrow price point. I'd guess that over the past year I've bought 12-15 used/pre-owned and 5-6 NIB scopes. I always have $50-60 to spend on a good quality used scope.
Scopes are like lots of other accessories, a user buys the scope, uses it a while, and then another more attractive scope hits the market or someone buys a used rifle w/scope and doesn't like the scope so the lightly used scope is sold on eb@y.
If the used optic buyer is careful to buy brands with "no-fault lifetime warranty", you can't go wrong. I currently have two brand new warranty replacement scopes ($200+/- MSRP)sitting on the shelf as a result of this. One cost $39.50 and one $27.85(including the cost to return them to the factory).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:34 am 
Hawkeye

BPJ, you are talking to collectors here, yep we impulse buy! I don’t as much now due to fixed income, but I did buy a kayak on impulse, and almost a semi auto shotgun- it is still on the list to buy? I could have put it on my CC but I am trying to pay that down!
gramps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:35 am 
Single-Sixer

Hi...
Yeah...I impulse buy at times, particularly at auctions. Something will come up for bid that I decide that I "need" and I end up bidding on it.

I have a huge collection of reloading dies in calibers that I don't have guns for and at least three reloading presses that I really don't need.
Probably five or six powder scales and measures as well.
I am looking at an auction next week that has quite a few reloading tools and such that I don't really need but if the bidding doesn't go above my predetermined bid price I will probably buy them. I tell myself that I am going to flip them for a profit but I haven't sold any yet.

I have bought rifles, shotguns and handguns on impulse simply because the price was way below retail or because it simply caught my fancy at the time.

I also have a penchant for buying reloading components at auction that I don't really need simply because the deal was too good to pass up.

I bought a box of about 15 brand new 30 round AR mags a couple of years ago. I didn't even own an AR...so I had my son build me one just do I could justify having those magazines. That impulse buy of about $30 cost me about $1500 worth of parts to build a really nice AR15 in .223Wlyde. Might be the best impulse buy I have yet made...depending on who you ask. My wife might disagree... haven't asked her. She just smiles and says "have fun with it" when I show her a new gun or impulse buy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:35 am 
Hawkeye

So BPJ, are they nice scopes? I'll admit to having a collection of different optics, scopes and binoculars etc as well.

I suppose knives are my impulse buys, just because they are cheaper than guns. I've given away lots of them to various family members and still have a lot of them. I don't think I'm a collector, probably just because they are in a drawer, and not a nice display case. But they are all different, which is why I need them. Kitchen knives especially.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:35 am 
Hawkeye

I’ve admitted here in the past to being a unrepentant impulse buyer. Oh in my younger years I had to plan my buys. But these days my buying plan is simple.
I see.
I want.
I buy.
I’ve found it very satisfying. The only problem is sometimes I then have to buy things like dies, scopes and so on. It’s a terrible burden. But I feel it’s my duty to support the economic health of our country as often as I can.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:59 am 
Hawkeye

I recently bought two carburetors for a 16hp Onan engine via ebay. One had the exact pn of the original. Also,I bought a set of drill bits (via ebay,made in this country). I have many,many drill bits and a drill bit sharpener(doesn't get used much).

I buy candy and other junk on impulse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:20 am 
Hawkeye

Kevin wrote:
So BPJ, are they nice scopes? I'll admit to having a collection of different optics, scopes and binoculars etc as well.

I suppose knives are my impulse buys, just because they are cheaper than guns. I've given away lots of them to various family members and still have a lot of them. I don't think I'm a collector, probably just because they are in a drawer, and not a nice display case. But they are all different, which is why I need them. Kitchen knives especially.

I seldom buy a scope that is not a Leupold. All of those 4 were leupolds. For what you get, and the warranty, it's just not that expensive to buy one, and especially if you can buy one just "slightly" used.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:41 am 
Hawkeye

BPJ...
You know me well enough to not have to ask.

Fairly recently I bought two beautiful lever-.44's at nearly the same time. . Didn't need them both so I put them both up for sale, and after selling one, I'd keep the other. Backfired on me. They both received immediate buy offers, simultaneously. Had to sell them both. Now I'm looking for another, to keep.

I also bought two .40's and a 10 mm in very short succession. After my 1911-10mm blew up, I really missed it. Thought I could replace it with a SIG 226 in .40. Bought it, and it's wonderful. Then shortly later, I bought a Springfield XD40. Also a great gun. A short time later I found and bought a Springfield XD-M in 10mm. A very nice shooting second-place gun behind the 1911-10mm that I was replacing. So now I have three very similar full size pistols doing similar chores. One will go. And I will again attempt the 1911 in 10mm when i find one.

Ammo deals...When I find a good deal, even on calibers I don't shoot, i find myself buying a quantity. Ya never know, I could end up with a gun that shoots the stuff. Or I continue to buy ammo that I shoot, but I'm so stocked with, I could never shoot it all.

Yep, I am an impulse buyer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:24 am 
Hawkeye

Wayno, we may be brothers from another mother. I do the same thing. A guy has to be prepared for anything. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:04 pm 
Hawkeye

This past weekend I set up at a local show to sell off some odds and ends gun stuff. I typically sell enough to pay table rent and pay for gas. I have been down sizing and have shown a lot of restraint. Well, I was just about ready to pack up for the day when a Rugerforum member walked through with a pistol case under his arm along with a box appropriate to the gun. Before I knew it I had purchased a real nice K38 Combat Masterpiece revolver.....at a very fair price. Did I need it? No, but I am a sucker for a good deal..... Definitely an impulse buy.

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:45 pm 
Hunter

Here is a link to one of my first threads.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=156188&hilit=Impulse+buy