RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:13 pm 
Hawkeye

Another fascinating aircraft topic from Juan Browne of the Blancolirio Channel regarding how the supertanker fire retardant airplanes work. This video was taken at McClellan Reload Field in Sacramento, Ca., last year during the horrific Camp fire.

This video is about 18 minutes in length for those with slow connections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW0XQI525UE

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:08 pm 
Hawkeye

Thanks for sharing! That 747 hauled 19,000 gals with an turnaround time of 30 minutes! Wow! I had a friend in college that wanted to do that, he wracked up hours flying his Champ, got a commercial pilot’s license, flew his champ into the sunset and last I heard, Paul was flying some of the smaller tankers.
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:04 am 
Hawkeye

Truly interesting. Never realized what went into 'refueling' the retardant. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:48 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

We've seen the DC-10s at work in my neighborhood, and they're pretty amazing to watch in tight places. I haven't seen the 747 yet. That must be incredible to see up close and personal. I used to shoot with a fellow who coordinated aerial firefighting in some of the local area. Unfortunately, we lost him before either of those bigger planes went into firefighting service. I wonder what he'd have to say if he could come back for a day...

Thanks for the video, Pete!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 am 
Hunter

In 1960 I worked ground crew on a few fires for some helicopter pilots. This was in Sequoia- Kings canyon NP`s. Large tankers weren't used yet but some various types of world war two fighters that had tanks called "Borate Bombers". They had a spotter plane talk them in. I would listen in to them on a radio sitting in a chopper on the heliport. Two summers ago wife and I got a ringside seat when a 747 hit a fire along the freeway here, and it was impressive.