RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eddie Money passes at 70
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 am 
Hawkeye

Money, the prolific singer and songwriter whose songs “Baby Hold On,” “Two Tickets to Paradise,” “Shakin'” and “Take Me Home Tonight” soundtracked popular music in the 1980s, died Friday (Sept. 13). He was 70.

A statement provided by his family reads: “The Money Family regrets to announce that Eddie passed away peacefully early this morning. It is with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to our loving husband and father. We cannot imagine our world without him. We are grateful that he will live on forever through his music.”

Money recently revealed that he had been diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer.

A reality television series about Money and his family, “Real Money,” had aired on AXS TV starting in April 2018. It chronicled his life at home, on the road and with his family, as well as his health struggles.

Money made his home in the Bay Area in the 1970s where he performed at the city’s clubs regularly. A star of MTV’s formative years, he saw major chart success with such songs as “Baby Hold On” and “Two Tickets to Paradise” and, in 1986, “Take Me Home Tonight,” a duet with Ronnie Spector, his biggest radio hit. He was signed to Columbia Records and released 11 albums throughout his career, starting with his self-titled debut in 1977 which saw three songs chart, “Baby Hold On,” “Two Tickets to Paradise” and “You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me.”

RELATED
AXS TV Acquires Series by AC/DC Frontman Brian Johnson (EXCLUSIVE)
Mark Cuban Sells HDNet Cable Channels to Anthem Sports, Steve Harvey
Born Edward Joseph Mahoney in Brooklyn, New York, Money, who grew up on Long Island, originally started out in law enforcement, his father’s profession, spending two years as a New York City police officer before deciding to try music. In Berkeley, Calif. following his move out west, he palled around with local musicians of the San Francisco club scene which led him to legendary promoter Bill Graham, whom Money met in 1976. Graham would become Money’s manager helping him achieve multi-platinum album sales in the 1980s.

Money’s arsenal of hits includes 1978’s”Baby Hold On” (peak position on the U.S. chart: No. 11) and “Two Tickets to Paradise” (No. 22), followed by “Maybe I’m a Fool” the following year (No. 22), “Think I’m in Love” (No. 16) and “Shakin'” (No. 63) in 1982, “Take Me Home Tonight” in 1986, which reached No. 4 (his highest charting song) and “Walk on Water” (No. 9) in 1988.

During that decade-plus, Money also descended into drug and alcohol abuse, nearly dying of an overdose that left him unable to walk for a year.

Eventually working his way back to performing live, Money was featured on a 2016 episode of “Oprah: Where Are They Now?” That led to the series “Real Money,” which debuted on AXS TV in 2018 and was on its second season.

Occasionally, Money was also the subject of controversy. Most recently, and not of his doing, music industry pundit Bob Lefsetz took issue with a crack Money made during a talk at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles, calling it anti-Semitic. As Money explained to Rolling Stone: “I said, ‘My wife always looks like a million bucks and she spends so much money on clothes and I hate it. It’s the Jew in me.’ And when I said that, because my mother is Jewish, Bob didn’t realize that and mentioned it [in his popular newsletter]. He thought I was Irish Catholic, Polish or German or something and all of a sudden he said I was anti-Semitic. … It was a misunderstanding and I thought it was a funny joke because I got Jewish blood in me.”

More than anything, Money’s music was considered blue-collar at its core, which led him to be featured on “The King of Queens” in 2002, where he performed a selection of his hits for friend and star Kevin James.

Known also for his comedic manner, both in his music videos and in interviews, he said last year that, despite his string of hit songs, he “missed the boat when it [came] to the big money.” In his typically self-deprecating manner, Money capped the conversation with this view: “The kids aren’t in jail, they’re not in rehab, nobody’s wrecked the car this week and there’s still milk in the refrigerator. I’m having a good month.”

Money is survived by his wife Laurie and five children, daughter Jesse Money, and sons Zachary, Joseph, Desmond and Julian.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:00 pm 
Hawkeye

I never quite caught the Eddie Money thing... But he was a character of the times for sure. A decent guy by all accounts. I was hoping his 'coming out' about his cancer wasn't a farewell message. Sadly it was.

RIP Eddie...

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:44 pm 
Hunter

I still remember my mother fussing at my sister about the music she was listening to. Two Tickets to Paradise was playing on the radio at the time. I agree with you CG DustDevil he always seemed to be a decent guy. I enjoyed his music & I'm sad that he's gone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm 
Hawkeye

I thought perhaps I lived in a vacuum, since I never heard of him, but the wife hasn't either. She listens to EVERYTHING from Country to Opera.

NRA
Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:54 pm 
Hawkeye

Many of those showcased here I have never heard of. Eddie Money I was familiar with, and loved his music. Especially “2 tickets to paradise”! RIP sir!
gramps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:17 pm 
Hawkeye

One of the things I wasn't aware of, but heard on the news, was that Eddie originally was an officer for the the NYPD, but left as his career got kicked off.
RIP

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:28 am 
Hunter

I liked Eddie. One thing the Detroit area will miss is he opened the summer concert season at Pine Knob (DTE Energy Theater) every year for a long long time. You knew summer was here when you saw his name on the marquis.

RIP Eddie

edit--
I had to go look it up.

DTE Energy Music Theatre - ranked among the top amphitheaters in the world - is located in Clarkston, Michigan.

Originally known as Pine Knob Music Theatre when it opened in June 1972, the amphitheater became DTE Energy Music Theatre in 2002 when DTE Energy purchased the naming rights to the amphitheater.

The DTE Energy Music Theatre is situated right in the heart of Michigan, surrounded by lush green forests and crystal clear lakes, the venue itself can seat 15,274 people.

Eddie Money’s popularity has never waned. For over 25 years now he has opened the summer concert season at the DTE Energy Music Theatre, a much-loved tradition that continues to this day. This year will mark Money’s 28th consecutive year performing at DTE Energy Music Theatre, dating back to 1992.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:05 pm 
Hawkeye

Bear Paw Jack wrote:
One of the things I wasn't aware of, but heard on the news, was that Eddie originally was an officer for the the NYPD, but left as his career got kicked off.
RIP

Marlin - He left cadet training to 'go hollywood' as I understood it. His family had a long history with NYPD, but I don't think he was ever a full fledged officer.

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

Last edited by CGDustDevil on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:25 pm 
Hawkeye

I can add here...
Seemed like he was always having fun on and off stage. I remember him in a couple interviews back in the day, always upbeat. I also recall girls jumping at the invite to see him on stage!
He and his band did a few shows at the bigger stage-bars in BUF and Rochester, and he did Ithaca/Cornell, quite a rowdy band as I recall. The live shows were very different than any made-for-radio recordings.
All I can say is CHICKS DIG HIM !!
Another one gone... RIP

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:27 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

Eddie was one of those guys who'd "been around forever" so somehow it seemed he would continue to be. I just heard of his cancer a couple of days ago, then read of his passing this morning. 70 doesn't seem so old any more, as there's less than a year left before I can mark that one on my own calendar. A lot of us will miss him! RIP, Eddie.

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:55 pm 
Hawkeye

RIP... My husband's favorite music video of his was Shakin' feature Apollonia Kotero who went on to star with Prince in Purple Rain. In the music video she really was Shaking!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:39 pm 
Hawkeye

WendyZXZ wrote:
RIP... My husband's favorite music video of his was Shakin' feature Apollonia Kotero who went on to star with Prince in Purple Rain. In the music video she really was Shaking!

Hi,

As she was in that cold water in the movie! :shock:

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:48 pm 
Blackhawk

There goes another one, and my age is showing. It upsets me when people of my generation die, because I may be close behind them.