RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:05 pm 
Hawkeye

pete44ru wrote:

Don't forget the revolvers, usually single actions, that had unlimited cartridge capacity.... :roll:

Sure, but it seems all they were capable of was flesh wounds. A guy could get shot right where his heart is but someone would take a look at him and say "it's just a flesh wound". Also, anywhere that they took a bullet it only produced a neat little red stain the size of a silver dollar. Those old SAA's didn't make them bleed much.

Matt Dillon did more damage when he smacked someone across the puss with that long barreled SAA he carried. He seemed to do a lot of that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:19 am 
Hawkeye

Ever notice they rode away with a bedroll and a flat saddlebag. Then they stop for the night and produce a coffee pot, coffee, cups, plates, cans of food, and unlimited water.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:23 pm 
Hunter

In the old movies they had no problem achieving one shot stops with the 38 Special RNL load.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:55 pm 
Hunter

Naw, unless it was a wagon train involved they really just piled a bunch of rocks over the stiff, stuck a pointed stick in the ground and use wang leather ta tie a cross stick.
If a woman or two were along they might sing "We shall we meet at the river".
I met Broderick Crawford in 1965 when I was a studio guard. I found him pleasant to talk to. In 1960, a helicopter pilot that he often used in his show gave me my first ride when I worked a fire in Sequoia or Kings Canyon NP. Crawford told me he crashed in a fire and was killed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:30 am 
Hunter

RSIno1 wrote:
The old TV series Highway Patrol was on the other day. Broadrick Crawford could stop a bad guy at 100 yards with a hip shot from his 2" revolver.

Buddy Ebsen in the Barnaby Jones series in the 70s often made that same shot, as I recall. Guy is 100 yards away, running, and Barnaby drops him with a hip shot from a 2" Chief or Detective Special.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:52 am 
Single-Sixer

I remember the 25 ACP as being the "Saturday night special" and being the thug's cheap weapon of choice. I remember a local bar room brawler being shot by a 25 ACP and collapsing. He lost a lung in the process but lived. I think a well placed head shot would result in quick death especially using hollow point bullets.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:54 am 
Hawkeye

I have always wondered whether the actors questioned the directions given them by the scripts and directors. Some of them had to have a little gun knowledge.

Frank Cannon was another one who made hundred-yard shots on moving targets with his .38 snubby. Interestingly enough, the actor William Conrad had been the voice of Matt Dillon on the old Gunsmoke radio shows.