RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:06 am 
Hawkeye

I watched the closing scene of an old movie last night just before (my) bedtime. This was an old detective/mystery show. In this scene, there are three folks (plus a corpse left over from earlier) two men and a woman. One of the men is covering the other with what appears to be a .380 Colt Hammerless Pocket Model, and is unfolding his scheme prior to putting out the lights on the detective. Just before he pulls the trigger, a shot is heard and he collapses like a head shot steer, graveyard dead. The camera then reveals that the woman has produced what is either a Colt or Browning .25 ACP Pocket Pistol.

Now here she has shot a fairly brawny man with a dainty little .25 and he crumples to the floor with no further lines. Now on Gunsmoke or Bonanza, such victim takes one or two bullets from a .45, or maybe a .44-40, but lives long enough to gasp out some final words until Doc Adams slowly shakes his head indicted the wadi has passed away, or simply passed, in today's vernacular. A close up shot of the cartridges in his hand reveal they are .22 L.R.

Incidentally, the lady then turns the gun on our hero, spills her story to the hero and pulls the trigger. The gun then snaps, its empty. During her distraction, the detective has slyly removed the magazine from her pistol, removed the cartridges from the magazine and reinserted it into her pistol without her noticing.

Then, in the closing, she is ushered out of the room by conveniently appearing police officers, and a little girl, maybe ten or twelve years old, enters and begins telling our hero what a fine fellow he is, oblivious to the fact there are now two corpses lying on the floor.

Ah..... Old movies! Long may they grace out late night viewing!

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:23 am 
Hawkeye

The funniest one I remember is an old movie with Vincent Price. In the scene he is talking about someone who shot and killed another person and he is holding the murder weapon.

As he is talking to someone about the murder weapon, he opens his hand to reveal it and starts by saying "This tiny revolver...". The funny part was that it looked just like a little .25 cal. semi auto. I guess the writers thought that "revolver" was a universal name for any handgun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:19 am 
Hawkeye

caryc wrote:
The funniest one I remember is an old movie with Vincent Price. In the scene he is talking about someone who shot and killed another person and he is holding the murder weapon.

As he is talking to someone about the murder weapon, he opens his hand to reveal it and starts by saying "This tiny revolver...". The funny part was that it looked just like a little .25 cal. semi auto. I guess the writers thought that "revolver" was a universal name for any handgun.

It does seem that "revolver" was synonymous with "hadngun."

And brings to mind an old W.C. Fields line:

Fields: "I drew my trusty revolver..........."

Bystander, interrupting: "Revolvers hadn't been invented then."

Fields: "I knew that. But the Indians didn't............."

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:55 am 
Hawkeye

I have always been impressed when the doc digs out a lead bullet and can tell it came from a 44 not a 45, that the fellow charged with the shooting, carries.
They also shoot someone and everyone walks away and leaves the corpse laying there.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:55 am 
Hawkeye

Bob Wright wrote:
caryc wrote:

It does seem that "revolver" was synonymous with "hadngun."

And brings to mind an old W.C. Fields line:

Fields: "I drew my trusty revolver..........."

Bystander, interrupting: "Revolvers hadn't been invented then."

Fields: "I knew that. But the Indians didn't............."

Bob Wright

I love those old W.C. Fields movies. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here's a great clip of him juggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytgPGr6JhLo&list=PLBB67853354A8BC01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:45 pm 
Hawkeye

Fox Mike wrote:
They also shoot someone and everyone walks away and leaves the corpse laying there.

On the old radio series of Gunsmoke listeners often commented on the situation where Matt Dillon had just dispatched some outlaw, Matt always said, "Chester, get a shovel and bury him."

To which Chester always replied, "Yes, Sir, Mr. Dillon."

They had trailed the outlaw out into the prairie, or some far away place, and Chester always produced a shovel, and presumably, buried the departed outlaw.

Either shovels were plentiful along the trail, or Chester had gone well prepared.

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:18 pm 
Buckeye

The old TV series Highway Patrol was on the other day. Broadrick Crawford could stop a bad guy at 100 yards with a hip shot from his 2" revolver.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:50 pm 
Hawkeye

RSIno1 wrote:
The old TV series Highway Patrol was on the other day. Broadrick Crawford could stop a bad guy at 100 yards with a hip shot from his 2" revolver.

If you ever read the behind-the-scenes stories about Highway Patrol, you see the biggest job was keeping Crawford sober enough to shoot the scenes!

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:42 pm 
Buckeye

Speaking of W C Fields, here’s one of my favorites.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHGr8r5Cs4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:55 pm 
Hawkeye

Bob Wright wrote:
Fox Mike wrote:

On the old radio series of Gunsmoke listeners often commented on the situation where Matt Dillon had just dispatched some outlaw, Matt always said, "Chester, get a shovel and bury him."

They had trailed the outlaw out into the prairie, or some far away place, and Chester always produced a shovel, and presumably, buried the departed outlaw.

Either shovels were plentiful along the trail, or Chester had gone well prepared.

Bob Wright

Maybe all those people who were stranded roaming the desert and threw away their empty canteens also threw away their shovels.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:16 pm 
Hawkeye

caryc wrote:
Bob Wright wrote:
Fox Mike wrote:

Bob Wright

Maybe all those people who were stranded roaming the desert and threw away their empty canteens also threw away their shovels.

Shovels, canteens, empty revolvers; really was a disposable era, wasn't it?

The protocol was that when your revolver clicked empty, one looked at it incredulously for a moment, then threw it away.

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:34 pm 
Hawkeye

When digging those graves,they always seem to have nice sandy loam soil. Just try digging a grave in desert caliche concrete soil, high clay content soil, or my central Oregon lava soil. A shovel will not cut it, you need a backhoe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:27 pm 
Hawkeye

Don't forget the revolvers, usually single actions, that had unlimited cartridge capacity.... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:36 pm 
Hunter

In the UK "revolver" is the common synonym for handgun-"he released the safety catch on his revolver."
Marshall Dillon probably understood something about evidence, no ?
I have an autographed photo of Robert Vaughan holding a carbine based on a Mauser M1914.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:40 pm 
Buckeye

pete, don't say that they will be targeted as high capacity 6 shooters.