RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:59 pm 
Ruger Guru

I disagree with this;
" I don't think any business should give away fee services or products, discount maybe."

I own my own business.
I do give discounts to some,, such as active military, LEO's, and some veterans. I also have been known to increase my fees for some jobs due to difficult people,, who expect stuff for free, or poor mouth,, all while living in a gated community, paying HOA dues,, and who have moved here from other parts of the country and complain about things here. (Heck,, just today,, a woman claims to have been from upstate NY,, yet she has been in NC for over 25 years. She tried to tell me how horrible it was that her neighbor bought 10 acres next to her,, and enjoys practicing with "an extremely loud & powerful" handgun. Yet,, she said she owns a Henry 22,, and is a member of "Moms Demand Action. She complained a lot about gunfire,, people shooting on their property,, and dealing with problem animals themselves. She claimed "If this was NY,, she could complain to the Sheriff,, as it wasn't allowed where she was from. When I quoted her my NORMAL fees,, she poor mouthed,, and finally said she couldn't afford it,, unless I could "do something" for her." Well, I politely refused.)

But,, I have also done jobs for free,, when I get to a home,, see a person in need & struggling. They obviously need my help,, and are hard pressed to afford much of anything. Pinned to my board, next to my desk,, is a very sweet "Thank You" note from just such a lady. I treasure that more than any amount of money I would have made there.
So,, yes,, a business CAN offer a service for free. Here in the South,, we often call it "being a Christian" when we can help someone & not expect payment.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 pm 
Hunter

contender wrote:
I disagree with this;
" I don't think any business should give away fee services or products, discount maybe."

I own my own business.
I do give discounts to some,, such as active military, LEO's, and some veterans. I also have been known to increase my fees for some jobs due to difficult people,, who expect stuff for free, or poor mouth,, all while living in a gated community, paying HOA dues,, and who have moved here from other parts of the country and complain about things here. (Heck,, just today,, a woman claims to have been from upstate NY,, yet she has been in NC for over 25 years. She tried to tell me how horrible it was that her neighbor bought 10 acres next to her,, and enjoys practicing with "an extremely loud & powerful" handgun. Yet,, she said she owns a Henry 22,, and is a member of "Moms Demand Action. She complained a lot about gunfire,, people shooting on their property,, and dealing with problem animals themselves. She claimed "If this was NY,, she could complain to the Sheriff,, as it wasn't allowed where she was from. When I quoted her my NORMAL fees,, she poor mouthed,, and finally said she couldn't afford it,, unless I could "do something" for her." Well, I politely refused.)

But,, I have also done jobs for free,, when I get to a home,, see a person in need & struggling. They obviously need my help,, and are hard pressed to afford much of anything. Pinned to my board, next to my desk,, is a very sweet "Thank You" note from just such a lady. I treasure that more than any amount of money I would have made there.
So,, yes,, a business CAN offer a service for free. Here in the South,, we often call it "being a Christian" when we can help someone & not expect payment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:10 am 
Hawkeye

To expand what I was saying, If a business gives away service or product to be charitable that is different than a business giving away free service or product which impacts the business as well as the other employees. With charity I would hope the other employees would also get some credit for the good deed. And by contrast I think it is not fair for a business owner to give away stuff to friends and family when the other employees can't do the same. It sets a bad example. It is not very moralistic.

I know several hair cutters and they do jobs on the side, which is also not very moralistic but at least it isn't done in the studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXSBe- ... 325701CE9C

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:26 am 
Hawkeye

Taterman wrote:
contender wrote:
I disagree with this;

I own my own business.

Yeah buddy!!! 8)
gramps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:01 am 
Hunter

Hmmmm. I have always been expected to work for free my whole life!!

:lol: :lol:

:cry:

Canning cranberry juice.... https://youtu.be/jDvhNc6N03U

http://homesteadingonadime.blogspot.com/ My blog.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:20 pm 
Ruger Guru

Jimbo,, I understand what you are saying.
However,, I'm the boss & the owner.
My business is a small one,, and my employee never suffers from my free work. He still gets paid. And if he comes to me with someone who needs help,, we discuss what we can do for them.

I always figure I can make it up on other,, shall I say,, different types,, who have cost me money. (Obamacare comes to mind! It cost me a LOT!!!!!!!! So I pass along my expenses to folks who supported such a policy administrator.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:04 pm 
Hunter

When I owned the septic pumping business we tried to find one customer a month to perform work for free for. I even gave my employees freedom to offer a discount or free service if they felt it would make an impact on the customers lives. I felt is was a way to give back to a community who supported my business end helped it grow to the size and success that it became when I sold it. Customers that were battling cancer, had just lost a loved one or just lost a job were all candidates. Like Tyrone, it was my company and such things never took from the pockets of my employees. To see the face and tears in the eyes of Larry L., a 70 some year old man who was near the end in his battle with cancer as was his wife when I stopped and told him it was past time to service his septic and we were going to do it no charge was worth more than what he would have paid. I have dozens of stories and cards of thanks that make me feel like I was at least trying to be the hands and feet of Jesus here on earth. All that I have is His anyway so it wasn't costing me anything in my book. Just my thoughts on the subject.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:17 am 
Hunter

Robb Barnes wrote:
When I owned the septic pumping business we tried to find one customer a month to perform work for free for. I even gave my employees freedom to offer a discount or free service if they felt it would make an impact on the customers lives. I felt is was a way to give back to a community who supported my business end helped it grow to the size and success that it became when I sold it. Customers that were battling cancer, had just lost a loved one or just lost a job were all candidates. Like Tyrone, it was my company and such things never took from the pockets of my employees. To see the face and tears in the eyes of Larry L., a 70 some year old man who was near the end in his battle with cancer as was his wife when I stopped and told him it was past time to service his septic and we were going to do it no charge was worth more than what he would have paid. I have dozens of stories and cards of thanks that make me feel like I was at least trying to be the hands and feet of Jesus here on earth. All that I have is His anyway so it wasn't costing me anything in my book. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Cheers to you for that Robb.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:46 am 
Hunter

I learned early on people take advantage of tradesmen. Even pickup truck owners. The people I’m talking about make well over 100 grand a year. They have their weekends off. I don’t ask them to do whatever they do for a living for free. And I don’t ask to borrow their cars.

No you can’t borrow my truck, and I don’t do side work. Far as I’ll go is to give free advice so they don’t get taken advantage of.

I have a lot less friends but at least I know they really are my friends.