RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:45 pm 
Hawkeye

If fentanyl is so dangerous what do junkies want the stuff for?

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:53 pm 
Single-Sixer

Fast cheap high!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:59 pm 
Hawkeye

clintsfolly wrote:
Fast cheap high!

And then you die.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:03 pm 
Hawkeye

Think Vanilla Extract? Most drug users don't know how much fentanyl is in the dope they just bought. People that buy fentanyl are the producers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXSBe- ... 325701CE9C

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:06 pm 
Hawkeye

Playing Russian roullette with drugs? We are innocent on drugs also. Antibiotics you take as prescribed for infection or illness and I can't remember the last time we used any kind of prescription painkillers. I gave birth to an 8 pound baby unmedicated and Kenneth had a root canal where they couldn't deaden the area and he just told them to turn up the nitrous and let's go!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:20 pm 
Buckeye

Because they’re always trying to recreate the euphoria of their first high, after that it takes more and more to achieve that high, eventually the high can no longer be achieved, that’s the point when the brain is chemically addicted and the user then is truly suffering from a disease, albeit a disease that was self inflicted and completely preventable.

"I buy guns to shoot and not to fondle and admire" RugerForum Member 5of7

NRA Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:32 pm 
Hunter

A long time ago I was more familiar. I was basically a drunk that dabbled some in other things but associated with a lot of folks that were pretty hard core. When I was 21 I wound up taking in a girl I wanted to try to help. Long story short she helped me find a bottom. I spent about 6 months living with people that were using needles. Never hit the vein myself but I was around a lot of insanity & life got pretty intense. The girl got me to take her to detox because she thought she was about to go to jail. The people in detox told her to go to meetings so when they let her out I took her a few times. She kept screwing up. The more I listened to the people at the meetings the more sense they made. I wound up kicking her out & going back to the meetings for myself. That was in 1988. Those people taught me how to live. Back around '98 I heard she had died from a mutual acquaintance. It seems she was living in the woods off Moreland Ave. in Atlanta. She got herself run over by a train. Nowadays they have stuff that is a lot more potent. Some of it will kill very quickly & yet people still chase that high. If one has never lived that life they most likely will not understand. Addiction is a trap that will kill you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:03 pm 
Hawkeye

exavid wrote:

All the opioids are dangerous. Opium you know... Opioid prescriptions in the US have gone from ~70 million in 1990 to over 200 million by 2013. I'm sure it's way higher than that now. The market is created by an industry that makes a LOT of money selling this stuff.

Fentanyl is ~100 times more potent than morphine. Other opioids are even more potent.

A drugged society is a compliant society.

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:33 pm 
Hunter

It’s cheap and potent and when added to heroin it stretches the product and gives a similar high. The problem is that it’s so potent it’s easy for the dealers to use too much and make a lethal batch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:44 pm 
Hawkeye

CGDustDevil wrote:
exavid wrote:

All the opioids are dangerous. Opium you know... Opioid prescriptions in the US have gone from ~70 million in 1990 to over 200 million by 2013. I'm sure it's way higher than that now. The market is created by an industry that makes a LOT of money selling this stuff.

Fentanyl is ~100 times more potent than morphine. Other opioids are even more potent.

A drugged society is a compliant society.

What opioid is more potent than fentanyl? Maybe carfentanyl, but other than that none I am aware of!
gramps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:57 pm 
Hawkeye

Mike J wrote:
A long time ago I was more familiar. I was basically a drunk that dabbled some in other things but associated with a lot of folks that were pretty hard core. When I was 21 I wound up taking in a girl I wanted to try to help. Long story short she helped me find a bottom. I spent about 6 months living with people that were using needles. Never hit the vein myself but I was around a lot of insanity & life got pretty intense. The girl got me to take her to detox because she thought she was about to go to jail. The people in detox told her to go to meetings so when they let her out I took her a few times. She kept screwing up. The more I listened to the people at the meetings the more sense they made. I wound up kicking her out & going back to the meetings for myself. That was in 1988. Those people taught me how to live. Back around '98 I heard she had died from a mutual acquaintance. It seems she was living in the woods off Moreland Ave. in Atlanta. She got herself run over by a train. Nowadays they have stuff that is a lot more potent. Some of it will kill very quickly & yet people still chase that high. If one has never lived that life they most likely will not understand. Addiction is a trap that will kill you.

Congratulations sir! I was born and raised in Atlanta, in my teens started hanging out on 14th St. I was offered all kinds of drugs-LSD, MJ, Heroin etc. My grandfather was a physician, I was taught very well about drugs especially Morphine. I was watching grandpa and his nurse set up the surgical suite to do a tonsillectomy, when there was an explosion, the sound of breaking glass with fire from the ground to the ceiling engulfing the nurse. Grandpa took the sheet off the operating table with his bare hands(the sheet grandpa told me not to EVER TOUCH!)
The nurse had second degree burns on her arms, face, neck, and exposed chest. She was in terrible pain, moaning constantly. Then she stopped, and I asked my grandmother, an RN, if the lady was going to die? Grandma said no, that she had been given morphine for pain. What a wonderful drug! Not to be abused.
gramps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:02 pm 
Hunter

Thank you Gramps. I didn't grow up in the city but in Forest Park. Just outside 285. My older sister was 4 years older than me & legal age was 18. When I was 14 I was hanging out with her friends partying & going to bars. When I was 17 I was sneaking in by myself. By 18 I was hanging out with strippers & hitting the after hours clubs. You are right many of these drugs when used properly can be a blessing. When misused they lead to hell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:39 pm 
Hawkeye

The bottom line is IF you have a brain. Presuming you do, even if you are stupid
enough to take non prescribed pain killers, you get off them before you get to the
"addiction" level. I find it obnoxious to not have any control over my body, which
is what happens with any narcotics. I took them for four days after major abdominal
surgery. I switched to OTC pain killers after the four days (three in the hospital).

A year ago the doctor tried to get me on some for my back. I "declined the
opportunity" and stuck with OTC pain relievers. Has that slowed my healing?
I don't know, but I do know that I've been without any pain killers for some where
near six months now. I like it that way.

Non prescribed pain killers are for those that are unable to think. If they could think
they would realize that going around in a fog does nothing productive for them or
anyone in their family.

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:23 am 
Hawkeye

I get it and have done pot and cocaine but neither really did much for me... I actually usually prefer the real world to the alternate.... long time ago.... 1979 I read a book, "Be Here Now" .... this is the ultimate hippy book and it basically taught you that you can be just as high and better off not on drugs than on them.....

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:59 am 
Blackhawk

I was in the hospital in pain and they gave me a morphine clone, demerol, I think. It did not do anything for the pain. They ask me how I was and I told them it did nothing. They gave me another shot. This time, the pain didn't go away, I just didn't care if I had it. Then the voice in my head said OOOOHHHHHHHH!!! So that is how it works.