RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:40 pm 
Hawkeye

SamV wrote:
But then and now, I can certainly look around and see people in far worse situations than hers. Still grateful for all that we have, even though I may whine a bit here and there.

Hi,

Just looking at those who have it worse than I do, in whatever fashion (and there is ALWAYS someone), is enough to keep me from whining! :) I don't hear it as much today as I did as a kid, but "There but for the grace of God go I" has stuck with me, too.

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:19 am 
Hawkeye

I have worked in Public Health in two states. My first wife griped and complained about the “hovels” we lived in. So, I took her to visit some clients. The one, who in the winter had holes in the walls clear to the outside, where a sheet metal wood stove was burning so hot it was cherry red, and the client’s bed had snow on his woolen blanket 3 feet away. Interestingly, that family didn’t think of themselves as poor! Neither did my ex-wife after that. A good thread. Each morning I walk the dog on my property, “while the dew is still on the roses”, so to speak. We live like Kings and Queens, and we have all the disease process of royalty to prove it!
gramps

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:05 am 
Ruger Guru

Definitely a good thread here.

I too look at each day,, and thank the Good Lord for all my blessings. My family is not exempt from strife's & sorrows,, but it's our outlook that makes the difference. When I say my prayers,, it's not for me,, but it's a thanking of God for my blessings. And for Him to bestow his grace & protection on those in need.
Miss Penny & I often discuss life & just how blessed & happy we truly are. As we like to say; "You can get up each morning & it's your choice to be happy or not."

Sadly,, I have a friend,, who as time has passed,, has become more & more negative in general. He's actually a great guy,, but his outlook on life & how his has turned out,, well,,, always negative. When we try to gently offer small suggestions for help with a particular issue,,, he has excuses & complaints. His name is Bob,, and now,, between just a few folks,, my nickname is "B*#t*)i*$ Bob!
He fails to realize how lucky he is in many ways.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:01 am 
Buckeye

SamV your post was a blessing. I know a woman here whose husband was covered with a roof fall in the mines. His head took much of the weight. She was told if he lived he would never be right. She prayed Lord I want him no matter how he is. That's love. He is Pastor of a local Church & doing fine these days & her testimony will raise the hair on your arms.

Just as The Sun Went Down
https://youtu.be/0WLtYgivQsU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:27 am 
Hunter

At my age I'm thankful I even wake up every morning. Don't worry, be happy.

Want to live a content life? "Fear God and keep His commandments"- King Solomon

Since Christianity is a Jewish sect, God's promise to Abraham to bless them as long as they keep his Commandments also applies to Christians.

"Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him" Job 13:15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 pm 
Buckeye

Bear Paw Jack wrote:
Sam, thanks for the powerful comments. I'm glad you still have your little girl with you. How many doctors would encourage parents to have an abortion because they might not have a perfect child. Prayers, have worked wonders for your family.

Sadly, We had more than one "well meaning" person tell us that it was too bad that we did not know that she was going to be disabled, so that we could have had her aborted before her birth. More than one.

Not that it matters, but this was not some genetic or developmental malformation, simply a wicked infection that my wife got that set the cascade of events going.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:44 pm 
Hawkeye

I think the Lord gives me things to complain about once in a while so I don't get bored with the life he gave me. :wink:

Like they say, "variety is the spice of life".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:43 pm 
Hawkeye

I have never been an especially religious man. The idea of eternal happiness bothers me because I cannot imagine how happiness can be appreciated without some suffering.

Bob is an example of holiness that I truly respect.

Sam just joined that list with his post.

A next door neighbor's son could not speak and had Down's syndrome. He was a joy to be with. You cannot believe how much fun he had with our dogs and cats. The children of another neighbor learned sign language just so they could play with him.