RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rant about thankfulness
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:31 am 

In today's ever growing search for a reason to be offended ....... too bad more folks aren't just thankful for the good things they have.

This morning for example I woke up at 5 as usual. First thing that came to mind was my 7 a.m. root canal appointment! Oh the joy. The anticipation. :roll:

Then I remembered tonight I get to attend the funeral visitation for an 18 year old girl who had an AVT flip over on her Sunday evening.

I feel sure her mom and dad would love to trade problems with me today.

The dentist thought I was unusually cheerful when I arrived bright and early at his office a tad before 7.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:45 am 
Hawkeye

Good thought!

Being thankful for our blessings is a good way to start the day.

Old axiom:

The optimist wakes up with "Good morning, Lord."
The pessimist with "Good Lord, morning?"

"This is the day the Lord hath made. We will rejoice and be glad in it."
Psa. 118 : 24

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:21 am 
Hunter

There was a woman in church who said "Praise God! to every sentence the preacher said. Finally it got to the young preacher and he took her aside and said, look, you are old, poor, fat and homely. Why, you only have two teeth! Why do you always say "Praise the lord?" She said, Praise the Lord! At least they meet!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:46 am 
Hunter

I wake up each day thankful I’m still able with my wife dogs and family.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:21 pm 
Hawkeye

hittman, That was a nice post. You’re right about the parents wanting to trade problems with you. Kind of puts things into perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:44 pm 
Hawkeye

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is to look up. If there are no roots
I know it is not bad. The second thing I do is to look for those IV stands, if there
are none of those, I know it is good. 8)

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 pm 
Buckeye

Hitman I'm very thankful for my days. Even the bad ones.

Just as The Sun Went Down
https://youtu.be/0WLtYgivQsU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:59 pm 
Hunter

Some days I feel more thankful than others but I am always aware that God has been good to me & I am blessed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:22 pm 
Hunter

Yes, at age 69 and enjoying robust health I know there are an awful of people who would trade places with me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:54 pm 
Single-Sixer

Well spoken, good advice for all, thanks for reminding us of God's grace and mercy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:08 pm 
Hawkeye

Having spent some time in a hospital bed, both times with a room mate that was much worse off than I was I can explain to you why I am thankful. Two different guys, two different years, and both of them in BAD shape compared to me. I had tubes going into and coming out of me in various places but no matter how bad I felt, and I truly felt awful, I honestly was thankful I wasn't in their condition. It made me look around at the world in general and remember how fortunate I really am.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm 
Hawkeye

LAH wrote:
Hitman I'm very thankful for my days. Even the bad ones.

My sig line used to be "Every day is a good day. Some are just better than others."

There are no bad days.

Are you gonna cowboy up, or just lay there and bleed?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 pm 
Hawkeye

Well said, hittman!!!

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:46 pm 
Buckeye

Many years ago when our oldest child was born, she had a really rough time of it. Six months in the hospital, mostly ICU. More life support than you would ever want to deal with. A stroke, severely damaged lungs, and unlikely to survive. But she did with oxygen for several years, and permanent lung damage leaving only about 1/3 functional lung tissue. We had every single person we knew praying for years, and she survived. We believe a true miracle. Even three decades later, doctors still don't understand why she functions as well as she does, not that it is great.
When she was about year old, she lost her hearing. When we were given the information about her deafness, most people thought we were oddly not concerned. We were sent to special schools and parent support groups. In the support groups, we were the odd ones, not crying or grieving deeply over having a deaf child. Quite frankly, at that point, we were delighted that it was only deafness, and not something much, much worse. Heck, having no hearing was a cake walk at that point. We were unbelievably grateful that we had her alive and didn't really care about that particular disability. Dealing with hearing loss was nothing compared to life or death ICU stuff. We wanted her, no matter what.
Actually, I think she was helpful to other parents at that school, in that they also could see that their child's hearing loss, as devastating as that was, really wasn't the worse thing that could befall their children.
But then and now, I can certainly look around and see people in far worse situations than hers. Still grateful for all that we have, even though I may whine a bit here and there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 pm 
Hawkeye

Sam, thanks for the powerful comments. I'm glad you still have your little girl with you. How many doctors would encourage parents to have an abortion because they might not have a perfect child. Prayers, have worked wonders for your family.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —