RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:22 pm 
Buckeye

Our 28 inch classic Snapper rear engine rider has done great for 11 years now. Routine care has yielded a sound mower that by design (I'm told by mechanics) though is sometimes fussy to shift for an old man and his beloved wife and not as easy to maneuver as some newer designs. The Classic Snapper is in my experienced thought, best suited for mostly open areas with occasional shifts to the rear. At $1500 new back in 2009, it's been a great mower and for a younger and stronger person would last many more years just fine. Heck. We figure that at $30 a mowing, it's saved Penny and me over $10,000 in lawn care. I know.if you have a home you need to be able to afford to maintain a home. We will continue though to cut our own lawn as long as we can. I trim and blow off while my beloved does the cutting.
There are lots of makers competing for our lawn mower dollar. Here's what penny and I need, and I'd appreciate other's thoughts about makes, designs and performance in a mid size city yard that does have lots of doodads to steer around.
Gas engine. Around 11 or more horsepower or so is fine.
A riding mower.
Tractor style mowers are wonderful but turning radii can limit some yard areas for us.
Easy shifting, i.e. a hydrostatic drive maybe?
Out front deck would be nice, like Grasshoppers.

So what do you folks have ad like best?
Just wanting to get a feel for what's new out there.
Thanks. Don

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:36 pm 
Hawkeye

I bought a Snapper ZTM with 48" deck (welded,not stamped) and 23 hp B&S engine about 3 months ago.

I don't know what may be best for you or anyone. I'd say research it quite a bit because there's so much out there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:27 pm 
Buckeye

I bought a Craftsman 20 horse lawn tractor about 6 months ago and I have no complaints.
I bought a lawn tractor because they can tow quite a bit where lawn mowers aren't made for towing.
I use it quite a bit to pull a drag and haul loads in a wagon.
It can also mow in reverse where lots of other mowers can't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:52 pm 
Hawkeye

Have a Sears tractor that is many years old and still working well. Change the oil yearly. Check the plugs, and install Stabil in the gas before I store it for the winter. I have 1/2 an acre of lawn that it cuts. The only modification I made was to disconnect the reverse cutout. If you tried to shift into reverse with the mower engaged it wouldn't go without disabling the cutter. I also opened up the cup holder so a jug of Gatorade would fit.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:01 pm 
Buckeye

My 25 HP, 61" Bad Boy zero turn mower is way more muscle than you need........but they do make smaller ones that would likely fit your pistol. This design is great at mowing around obstacles and will continue to mow in whatever direction the machine is moving....even sideways. My advice would be to go out and drive them prior to buying. And since the mower deck is the part that usually hits "things", consider a welded deck over stamped. When I was shopping, if it said "NOT A STEP" on the deck I walked away....... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:52 pm 
Hunter

After using an easy to shift mower for 20 some years, I replaced it with a hydrostatic drive mower and couldn’t be happier with it. Both were John Deere’s. The speed control and easy reversing with only your foot makes cutting easy. The newer mower doesn’t have a brake, which seemed weird at first, but makes total sense once you use it. I cut an acre.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 pm 
Buckeye

Thank you each. I'm looking. Don

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:23 am 
Hawkeye

tinman wrote:
My 25 HP, 61" Bad Boy zero turn mower is way more muscle than you need........but they do make smaller ones that would likely fit your pistol. This design is great at mowing around obstacles and will continue to mow in whatever direction the machine is moving....even sideways. My advice would be to go out and drive them prior to buying. And since the mower deck is the part that usually hits "things", consider a welded deck over stamped. When I was shopping, if it said "NOT A STEP" on the deck I walked away....... :idea:

Just upgraded from a lawn tractor to a zero turn saves so much time it's ridiculous! ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:07 am 
Hawkeye

Do some research as to who actually makes the various "brand name" mowers. There may be a significant price difference for the same mower depending on the paint color.
I'm running a 30+ year old John Deere that does what I need it to do w/o much expense. This will likely be my last mower. If/when it quits, I have 2 choices: pay Grandson to bring a mower and cut the grass or fence the front yard for goat pasture and cut the rest with the trimmer.
My view point is different as I consider a "yard" as a waste of pasture/hay land. If the area between my house and county road wasn't so steep, I'd just push out the fence row and include it in the hay field.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:19 am 
Blackhawk

On that size lawn in today's market I'd suggest a small
Toro zero turn. In the $2200 to $2600 range they are
hard to beat. You should have good dealer and parts
support for a long time with that brand.
Zero turns are quicker and easier to mow with and just
a better way to cut grass. The exception to that is if you
have any steeper slopes to cut on, they don't handle well
on side slopes. Even here in Michigan with snow, most
people ( about 75% of our sales ) are going to zero turns
and getting a walk behind snowblower.
If you get below the $2000 to $2200 range quality falls
off pretty quick.
Short learning curve to get used to one, but after using
it for a while people never want to go back to lawn tractors.
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:01 am 
Hawkeye

I'm not sure, but you may have a hard time finding a 28" rider these days.

When I was forced to get a new rider, I discovered that the narrowest deck I could get on a unit I'd consider buying would not clear between various fixed obstacles in my yard that my previous unit had cleared, adding to the post-mow trimming chores.

Just a consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:37 pm 
Hunter

You are in luck. I just happen to have an 8hp, Ace Hardware, 38" rider I am looking to part with. This was bought and used by a friends grandpa until he passed. Friend used it as a backup until he moved. Another friend then had it for occasional use as a backup mower. When he moved it ended up in my barn. I used it for back up a few times until I acquired a better backup unit. It has stabilized fuel in it, but has not moved in 2 years. Sadly the battery has also gone dead. Once you clean the barn dust off it, buy a battery, dump the fuel, and cleaned the carburetor, I have no doubt that you will get several years of service out of it. It comes complete with a little red wagon/trailer that was hand built by friends grandpa. Make the trip out here and I will help you load it up. A simple act of Karma kindness.

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:08 pm 
Buckeye

.04 acres! zero turn?
lol!
wait until it breaks! are you on a hill or flat? dealer told me those zero's are not meant for hills.
oh why not, get a push and be an American!
omg.....04. sorry...just had to chime in. I mow 15 acres on a craftsman gt5000 25hp sit down. hills and all. driveway is 1/2 mile.
THAT rates a sit down.
:>

http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com