RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:38 pm 
Hunter

The ones in front are in the fridge. The rest are in the cupboard waiting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 pm 
Bearcat

Only like my hot sauces to be "kinda" hot. My go-to hot sauce is Louisiana, but Texas Pete, Cholula, and Franks are OK for a little variety. I made some of my own using a few Dragon Cayenne peppers I accidentally wound up with and really like the flavor but it's hot enough that I have to be careful not to over do it. Also, lately, have been using Sambal Oelek Chili Paste in soups and such and it adds a nice spiciness without being overbearing. Melinda makes a couple of sauces that are pretty good but hard to find around here. If you are one of those that enjoys extreme heat, try Dave's Insanity. Too hot for me but then, ...I am a wimp.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:03 pm 
Hawkeye

I use very little bottled stuff, I do have a bottle of Sirachia, but seldom use it. If it is spicyness I crave, I use cayenne pepper powder, or crushed red pepper to taste- like on bean dip, pizza, popcorn, sandwiches, soups etc
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:23 pm 
Blackhawk

Texas Pete by far for the flavor and correct heat (and not just because it is made ~12 miles from my house). Franks Original and Tabasco Green are acceptable substitutes.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:06 pm 
Blackhawk

Can't pick a favorite like them all. Frank's Red Tobassco all of them. Great on pizza.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:10 pm 
Hunter

I get sick of the vinegar taste. I usually just use Cayenne pepper. Lots of cayenne pepper. I’ve even brewed like tea then refrigerated it. You can use it like hot sauce but it’s not vinegar based.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 pm 
Hunter

A brand available locally called Mazzetas, followed byTexas Pete extra hot and Cholula.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 am 
Hunter

I had forgotten Sambal Oelek!
Great on tacos and such....

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:08 am 
Hawkeye

I'm in the Franks Red Hot camp! ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:09 am 
Bearcat

Jeepnik wrote:
Does Chipolte have Tabasco on the label? My understanding is that the family that makes it owns the rights to Tabasco. So unless they make it for Chipolte (by the way with their problems with contamination the last few years I won't go near the place) The folks owning Tabasco Sauce would likely raise hell.

It's Tabaso brand. Less hot and a great smokey flavor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:41 am 
Bearcat

Cajun Chef is very flavorful with enough heat to make me sweat. They make a red sauce and a green sauce. I order it by the case from their website.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:59 am 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
Happy Dogs.
Made by a local guy. Plenty of heat but not overpowering and good flavor, which was their goal.
It became the favorite hot sauce on board the USS Harry S Truman for a couple cruises.
Those guys gotta get their own now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:48 pm 
Buckeye

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (best quality Italian/Sicilian preferably) and red pepper flakes....combined, bottled and aged about 2 weeks...then you can use as a condiment or as an oil. My son is addicted to it for making scrambled eggs....

I grew up eating Italian food in Boston, not Mexican...but I do use Frank’s for my Buffalo wings (mixed with melted butter) using the original recipe and Sriracha when cooking Thai. Don’t care much for Tabasco...prefer Cholula as seems to be more traditional to Mexican cuisine....don’t like when spice overpowers all other flavors...

YMMV

GONH Life Member
RENE Member
ROCS Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:00 pm 
Buckeye

I'm a frugal fella. Sampling a number of the less expensive brands I only two days ago learned of Crystal brand. Wow it's great. Watching carbs, I thought maybe there was a sweetner in it as it has a delicious slightly sweet taste to me. But the carbs are zero, which helps me in my new eating regimen (I finally reached my goal of 209--total 110 pound loss----with my doctor's admonition to not lose any more).
I did think I'd try some dollar a bottle brands from the really inexpensive "anything a dollar" stores, but I tossed them when I read the fine print saying they were made outside the USA. I just don't know about some food processing regulations outside of the USA and didn't think saving 75 cents a bottle was worth the questions.
I use hot sauce on most everything. Don

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:36 pm 
Hawkeye

Interesting thread. I must be different. I don’t care for hot stuff at all. For me it’s all heat, with no flavor. If I want a little heat it would be from a dash of cayenne or a few red pepper flakes. I use spices to bring out the flavor, not to mask the flavor of the meat or sauce with heat.

Don’t get me wrong. I understand, but it’s just not for me. Plus, I also have acid reflux disease for which I am being treated.....

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next