RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:09 am 
Hawkeye

Just came out. I devoured it in four days. Yet another ripping good Swagger yarn from Hunter.

Did find three annoying errors in it, though:

1. A house is described as "one story," but a page later, someone's coming down from upstairs.

2. Talk of the "octane scent" of a Blackhawk helicopter. I wasn't aware that jet fuel had an octane rating--or, for that matter, that octane could be smelled in gasoline.

3. In a scene at McConnell AFB, mention made of occasional F-18 takeoffs. WTF? F-18 is a USN/USMC joint. Upon further research, McConnell turns out to be a KC-135 base, doesn't seem to have any fighter aircraft there at all.

The gun stuff all seemed good though. He goes pretty far into the weeds on .338 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmoor--might have have made his typical signature gun error in that stuff, but if so, it was way beyond my skillset, so, well done on that.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:28 am 
Hawkeye

A one story could have a basement.
And transit jets are often seen at airbases where none of that type are stationed, including models from other services. We regularly got Naval aircraft at every airbase I was stationed.
The "octane" scent, yea he blew that one.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:53 am 
Hawkeye

I have often wondered if authors like Hunter, who are usually spot-on with respect to gun stuff, don't just toss in a blooper to see if we're paying attention.

It's somewhat common. There's a western author whose name I cannot recall who insists on having his hero carry a Colt SAA and a Winchester lever action both chambered in .45 Colt. As far as I know, Winchester never chambered their levers in the Colt round . . . at least not in the time period setting of his novels.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:15 am 
Hawkeye

Jeepnik wrote:

I thought of that, too, but reread it, and the action is taking place on the ground floor when someone comes down. No mention is ever made of a basement or attic.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:30 pm 
Hawkeye

Snake45 wrote:
Jeepnik wrote:

I thought of that, too, but reread it, and the action is taking place on the ground floor when someone comes down. No mention is ever made of a basement or attic.

Oh well, the proof reader goofed that day.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:09 pm 
Bearcat

Read it the first few days it came out. In the credits, etc Hunter said he was 73 and usually visited all sites when writing a book but no can do at 73. As always apologized and took credit for any errors. Give the guy a break....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:43 pm 
Hawkeye

Randolph had a "tramp ramp" for visiting a/c. These usually came in on Fridays and left on Mondays and were often combat types from various branches.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:52 pm 
Hawkeye

Jeepnik wrote:
Snake45 wrote:
Jeepnik wrote:

Oh well, the proof reader goofed that day.

Not the proofreader (assuming that's what Hunter wrote). The copy editor.

I used to be a book editor. I know how the sausage is made.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:57 pm 
Hunter

Whoops, I forgot that one was out. Just ordered it on the Kindle. Thanks, Snake. :mrgreen:

--"Where am I to go now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight Zone."

-- "Freedom is not free. Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free." -- Jerry Pournelle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:59 pm 
Hunter

So I'm about halfway through the new Swagger opus and enjoying it immensely. Only typo that jumps out to me, though - the "one-story" crack house did actually have a little bit of an upstairs - is that Bob's wife is once again Julie, as she was going almost all the way back to Point of Impact (which was a helluva first date for the couple).

For one or two of the more recent installments of the series, at least on the Kindle edition, Bob was supposedly married to "Jen," which had me scratching my head. Perhaps Hunter has gotten too big to edit? :wink:

(Which reminds me of one of my favorite thriller scenes ever, from "Time to Hunt:" "Daddy's home!" :lol: :lol: :lol: )

--"Where am I to go now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight Zone."

-- "Freedom is not free. Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free." -- Jerry Pournelle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:13 pm 
Hawkeye

ProfessorWes wrote:
So I'm about halfway through the new Swagger opus and enjoying it immensely. Only typo that jumps out to me, though - the "one-story" crack house did actually have a little bit of an upstairs - is that Bob's wife is once again Julie, as she was going almost all the way back to Point of Impact (which was a helluva first date for the couple).

For one or two of the more recent installments of the series, at least on the Kindle edition, Bob was supposedly married to "Jen," which had me scratching my head. Perhaps Hunter has gotten too big to edit? :wink:

(Which reminds me of one of my favorite thriller scenes ever, from "Time to Hunt:" "Daddy's home!" :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Hunter address the whole Julie/Jen thing in the Acknowledgments section.

I share your love of the "Daddy's home!" scene. I've read the book two or three times and laughed out loud at that line every time.

BTW, re Game of Snipers: I guessed the surprise twist at the end at least a hundred pages out. But then I've read the whole Swagger canon, most of it multiple times.

Sat Cong!