RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:23 am 
Single-Sixer

My youngest son started flying when he was 12. Here he is when he was 13 in the news paper clipping.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:42 pm 
Hawkeye

Outstanding!

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:53 pm 
Hunter

I grew up living on the field at Glacier Park International in Montana in the 1970s and early 80s. I flew with my dad and all the other pilots who would take me with them. Best way to grow up ever! Your pics of your son bring back the memories. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:08 am 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
First ride and it was in a hot rod. Sweet!
Then in a classic!
GA is becoming less and less popular due to costs. Gotta get new blood.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:18 pm 
Hawkeye

Bull Barrel wrote:
First ride and it was in a hot rod. Sweet!
Then in a classic!
GA is becoming less and less popular due to costs. Gotta get new blood.

GA or any kind of Aviation has always been expensive.
When I started taking lesions in 1965 the rate was $14.00 per hour which is $115 in todays $$$$$. I had to get a second job to be able to afford to take lessons. I worked 10 hours to be able to fly one hour and a one hour drive each way.

I will post later about my feelings of this Great Young Man getting the "Fire in the Belly". Don't let it burn out. I know what it is like to have it after having it lit 70+ years ago by riding in the back seat of a Cub while my Dad flew.
I tried to put the fire out during a flight today. Didn't work still there :wink:
No it is not getting less popular if the Oshkosh Fly-In is any indication. One week attendance 700,000 people and 10,000 airplanes on site for the week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:26 pm 
Hawkeye

I wanted fly from before I started first grade. The urge never left me, I built gas models both control line and radio control into my early teen years. When I got to Kotzebue, AK as an electronic tech trainee I ate caribou and moose and saved almost all of my $500 per month pay. I was able to buy my first airplane in the winter of 1963, a Piper Pacer PA20, the tail dragging predecessor of the Tripacer. I was taught to fly in that by Warren Thompson who is in the Alaska Aviator's Hall of Fame for his rescue work in Arctic Alaska. To this day I give thanks that he was my instructor, I learned all the tricks and methods of bush flying from him. I credit him that I accumulated about 5000 hours most of it in Arctic Alaska in the days before GPS. I've owned taildraggers flown them on wheels and skis, an amphibian and a float plane and even a few trikes. Age and the difficulty and expense has caused me to give up my medical and flying. Besides it's not the same here in the south 48.

But do encourage that young man in his desire to fly, it was the fullfilment of my bucket list. Every bit as good as I'd dreamed as a pre-teen. Motorcycling, sailing and flying I got to do them all to my hearts content. I really believe a person can follow their dream.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member