RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:51 pm 
Hawkeye

I was out checking fence this evening when my phone rattled. It was a local area friend telling me my Cousin had been in a fatal vehicle crash and the community had determined I'm the closest living relative. When I reached the house, I called the funeral director and confirmed I was a blood relative and the deceased had no siblings or offspring. There are still unanswered questions but the immediate care of the body and funeral arraignments will begin tomorrow.
There was also the question of livestock care on his farm a mile up the road, so I went up to make sure water/feed was available.
After a bit of settling down, we came up with 4 living second Cousins. If there isn't a written burial/will/succession plan, it will be up to those of us willing to participate to ensure a proper burial and begin the process of disposing of his personal property and real estate.
It seems a bit odd that after years of no contact with this relative other than waving as we passed on the road, I'd talked to him 4 or 5 times this year and now he's dead.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:54 pm 

Prayers to you and yours sir.
I'm sorry for your loss.

And here's a reminder for everybody here to have a WILL! You don't do those for yourself ..... you 'em so those you leave behind don't have a headache.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:16 pm 
Hunter

My condolences. :(

Prayers sent for him and you.

#Iwillnotcomplyfu

They want to "have a conversation". I want to grease the guillotine.

If you don't turn in your guns, they can't make you ride in the cattle cars.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:27 pm 
Blackhawk

Location: MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sleddin'
My sympathy to you and your family. Live every moment.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:38 pm 
Blackhawk

My condolences.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:49 pm 
Hawkeye

I don't know which is more disturbing, the loss of a family member only marginally older than myself or the mortality wake up call. The man had been in poor health for the last decade but apparently either a health issue or an error in driving ended those problems.
I really hope he had a will and burial plan as I know the other Cousins well enough to know they're money grubbing weasels and I don't want to fight with them over the probate or whatever. The land has been in our family since the late 1800's. If it comes right down to it, I'm not going to roll over and let the weasels raid the chicken coop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:45 pm 
Ruger Guru

Sorry to hear of your family loss.
And yes,, many of us here can relate to relatives being money grubbing weasels.

I know you will do what is right.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:02 pm 
Hawkeye

Man, I hate those calls! Good luck Mobuck, God is on your side!
gramps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:00 am 
Hunter

hittman wrote:
Prayers to you and yours sir.
I'm sorry for your loss.

And here's a reminder for everybody here to have a WILL! You don't do those for yourself ..... you 'em so those you leave behind don't have a headache.

Not only that but get a trust to go with it. That protects your estate and avoids probate and taxes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:04 am 
Hawkeye

The "weasels" are homing in. Maybe I'm just suspicious but here's the scenario: Last night (only hours after the fatal accident) a person contacted one of the "fringe relatives" ( the stepson of another second cousin) with an offer to "take care of the cattle" on the deceased man's farm. The "fringe relative" was skeptical so ran the idea past his spouse who bounced it off her parents who indicated that the idea should be presented to me before ANYONE was allowed onto the property. GOOD CALL!!
We're still waiting on the legal process but I'm setting up a meeting with a couple of the other "fringe relatives" to determine who is willing to visit the farm and make an inventory of the livestock. Maybe add a Deputy if I can manage that. Either placing someone in physical charge of the cattle or rounding them up for sale is a priority to prevent losses or outright theft.
Grouch Attack and I went up to check the farmstead last night under the advice of the funeral director/Coroner but I'm not going back alone simply to prevent being accused to pilfering while there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:12 am 
Hawkeye

contender wrote:
Sorry to hear of your family loss.
And yes,, many of us here can relate to relatives being money grubbing weasels.

I know you will do what is right.

Hear hear...

"You need only reflect that once of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A Beard - Early 20th Century Historian and scholar.

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:40 am 
Blackhawk

Sorry to learn of your loss. My advice is get someone else to go there with you and film, log, record all that's there. Stuff is going to disappear from out right theft and those who feel it's their right. Family estates can become a bigger problem than you might imagine. Hope you find a will.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:30 pm 
Buckeye

Back in my badge totin' days, my partner & I received a natural death call. After the paramedics left, the funeral home was notified and the report was written, the relatives that had called the police almost rolled the body off the bed onto the floor! They knew the deceased had kept money under the mattress and they were going to split it up right then and there. Of course, we stopped that and luckily another relative showed up that had more restraint.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:34 pm 
Hawkeye

Good Job Mobuck, kmoore et al had some good advice. You have a thankless job, but: THANK YOU!
gramps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:26 pm 
Hawkeye

I had a long chat with the Coroner again this morning. Confirmed the list of known relatives and presented my plan for the livestock. Coroner agreed this was a good idea so we have a 3 person party going in tomorrow morning to count and catalog livestock. None of the vehicles or tractors sitting on the farmstead will start so not likely those will run away. I was able to confirm that the deceased's home in town was being secured by the city Police although anything of known value is likely already gone.
Although the Coroner was going to verify all the names I gave him and pass on my phone number, not a single one of those people has contacted me regarding the funeral arraignments.