RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:42 pm 
Single-Sixer

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:25 am
Posts: 147
Location: ARIZONA
OK I forgot what is the sequence to load an old style blk hawk so you have the open carry cyl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:49 pm 
Hawkeye

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 9685
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Place the hammer at the half cock (loading) notch, where the cylinder spins freely. Load one round, skip the next chamber, then load the remaining four cartridges. Close the loading gat and cock the hammer to full cock, then ease it down on the empty chamber. You're good to go.

Bob Wright

P.S. Loading a New Model in the same sequence, except for the hammer, acheives the same results. Useful when you're shooting five round groups.

Bob Wright

P.P.S. When easing the hammer down, I find it helpful to place my thumb of the off hand between the hammer and the frame as I ease it down, until the hammer is far enough down that I have to slide my thumb out of the way. Just a precaution.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:04 pm 
Buckeye
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:01 am
Posts: 1725
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Bob left out some steps in loading a New Model...

Here's how it goes:
- Load one round
- Index to next chamber
- Try to load chamber and drop round on floor
- Curse while letting next chamber click past where the round can fit
- Swear
- Index to third chamber and load round
- Drop another round on floor
- Over-index the 4th chamber
- Comment using "King's English"
- Load the 5th round
- Be super-careful not to over index 6th chamber
- Bend over and pick up dropped rounds...and in doing so, click the 6th chamber past index
- (^&%^$&^&^^*(&^!!
- Rotate cylinder to first missed chamber and index past
- ^*%&^%&$^%^*%^^$&^&*()()*&!!!!!
- Index to next empty chamber and load round
- Index to next empty chamber and drop round on floor
- Load round
- Try to safely retrieve round on the floor since it rolled past the firing line and others are shooting
- Retrieve round using brass-sweeping broom handle
- Shrug at the other shooters who have stopped shooting to smirk at you
- Rotate cylinder to last empty chamber and finally get that round in
- Lay revolver on bench and consider it thoughtfully...You finally got the darn thing loaded, do you really want to shoot it? Because there's a whole series of similar steps to unload the fired cases out of the cursed thing...

:D

Aqualung

PS...I actually love my NM Blackhawks.

_________________
"...Somewhere there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:19 pm 
Hawkeye

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 9685
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Aqualung wrote:
Bob left out some steps in loading a New Model...

Here's how it goes:
- Load one round
- Index to next chamber
- Try to load chamber and drop round on floor
- Curse while letting next chamber click past where the round can fit
- Swear
- Index to third chamber and load round
- Drop another round on floor
- Over-index the 4th chamber
- Comment using "King's English"
- Load the 5th round
- Be super-careful not to over index 6th chamber
- Bend over and pick up dropped rounds...and in doing so, click the 6th chamber past index
- (^&%^$&^&^^*(&^!!
- Rotate cylinder to first missed chamber and index past
- ^*%&^%&$^%^*%^^$&^&*()()*&!!!!!
- Index to next empty chamber and load round
- Index to next empty chamber and drop round on floor
- Load round
- Try to safely retrieve round on the floor since it rolled past the firing line and others are shooting
- Retrieve round using brass-sweeping broom handle
- Shrug at the other shooters who have stopped shooting to smirk at you
- Rotate cylinder to last empty chamber and finally get that round in
- Lay revolver on bench and consider it thoughtfully...You finally got the darn thing loaded, do you really want to shoot it? Because there's a whole series of similar steps to unload the fired cases out of the cursed thing...

:D

Aqualung

PS...I actually love my NM Blackhawks.


You're supposed to hold the thing over the bench! And never use foul language at a Blackhawk!


Bob Wright


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:14 pm 
Hunter

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:28 pm
Posts: 3995
"Five beans in the wheel" as Skeeter Skelton might say.

_________________
Endowment Member NRA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:01 am 
Hawkeye
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:01 am
Posts: 14884
Location: So. Florida
I never have had on old model but I know - 'load one, skip one, load four then cock the hammer and let it down on the empty chamber', just in case I ever come across one.

_________________
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl (Original Version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXSBe- ... 325701CE9C


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:42 am 
Hawkeye

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 9685
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Jimbo357mag wrote:
I never have had on old model but I know - 'load one, skip one, load four then cock the hammer and let it down on the empty chamber', just in case I ever come across one.


For whatever its worth, that applies to the Colt Single Action Army and New Frontier, and modern copies of the Colt.

Just for illustration and not to be showing off, this is the type of Single Action to which I refer:

Image

Bob Wright


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:32 am 
Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:01 am
Posts: 4077
Location: Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I have exactly one New Model in company of numerous Old Models, so I just do it the same way on all of them (in the manner described by Bob, above). So I guess the "advantage" of the New Model is lost on me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:12 pm 
Single-Sixer
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:01 am
Posts: 214
Location: Kokomo,In. USA
Bob Wright wrote:
Jimbo357mag wrote:
I never have had on old model but I know - 'load one, skip one, load four then cock the hammer and let it down on the empty chamber', just in case I ever come across one.


For whatever its worth, that applies to the Colt Single Action Army and New Frontier, and modern copies of the Colt.

Just for illustration and not to be showing off, this is the type of Single Action to which I refer:

Image

Bob Wright


Wish I still had my New Frontier 45 w/7 1/2. Also the dual cylinder .22 forgot the model name but it had the adj.sights.

_________________
Endowment Member NRA
Retired USAF E-7


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group