RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm 
Hunter

In recent years I have bought a number of 50-60-70 year old small appliance-toasters, waffle irons, electric griddle-some with the tags one them-that are still going strong.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:41 pm 
Hunter

My son just got a Hallicrafters shortwave/AM radio from the estate of the original owner (a family member). I believe it was bought new in the 1940s. In the 1980s another family member rebuilt it with a new power supply and tubes and re-calibrated everything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:01 pm 
Single-Sixer

That's some amazing old appliances. Seems like mostly freezers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:16 pm 
Hunter

Older appliances were not only built to last, they were built to be maintained, you can disassemble them to see where a problem is. I recall taking our Toastmaster toaster to the long gone radio-TV repair shop (remember those ?) to be fixed-usually a burn out wire.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:37 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

My next door neighbor's fridge died a year or so ago. His parents bought it in 1969. Mine made it almost a year longer. I dunno how old it was except I got it from my Granny some time after my Grandpa passed in 1972 and she was moving out of their house. It was brown, same as my neighbor's, so probably about the same age. I got it somewhere between about 1977-79.

My brother bought a little "dorm room" size fridge he used for a couple of years, then I used it for a while before it went into storage in my garage for a couple more years, when he came to retrieve it to use at work. After almost 31 yrs, he retired, and left that little fridge still going strong when he left (about three years ago.) According to an old co-worker it's still humming along. Counting on my fingers and toes, it's gotta be at least 40.

The electric stove and oven here were built-ins when the house was built, 1965. Wedgewood, the company that built them, has been defunct for decades, but they still work ok, except for the clock on the oven. Guess that's why God invented kitchen timers?

Talking about repairing appliances, didn't fixing things actually mean a more "green" product than some computerized thing that cuts your electricity bill a buck or two a month until the multi-100 dollar computer chip dies and you have to trash the thing because a new chip's not available?

Somewhat on that line, there's a story about George Washington's hammer: it's only had three handles and two new heads since his death, but it was George's hammer! I have a Farberware percolator sorta like that: right now it needs a thermostat. This will be the fourth one, over about 30 years or so. Plus a new handle and a new cord along the way. If I buy a spare or two, it may still be making coffee the last day I can drink the stuff. Compared to the 2-3 years most drip machines last with our water, that's pretty good.

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:19 pm 
Buckeye

A friend is still using his parents 1948-49 International Harvester frige, They broke the handle when he moved to NV so he made a new one put of 3/4" steel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:29 pm 
Single-Sixer

Hi...
Appliances certainly don't last as long as they once did.
I built the house here at The Estate in 1994...all brand new appliances throughout.
Had to replace the water heater three times, well pump once, pressure tank three times, heat pump once, refrigerator freezer once, electric stove once, dishwasher three twice, disposal three times, washer and dryer both one time and the microwave twice. Also had to have the pump replaced for the sand mound.
The only original appliance from 1994 is the chest freezer...still works great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:19 am 
Hunter

We have a Kenmore upright freezer ("deep freeze", my grandma always called them) that is over 30 years old going strong, and a Gibson chest-type freezer that is even older - not sure how old because I got it well used. My parents had my grandmother's old, huge, International Harvester "deep freeze" for many years. It probably dated from the early 50s and ran for over 40 years. They finally got rid of it just because they weren't using it anymore.

My current HVAC unit on my house is now 26 years old, which guys in the business tell me is unheard of nowadays. They keep predicting it's demise, but it just keeps going. It's a gas furnace and refrigerated air A/C, a Trane.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 am 
Hawkeye

I have a few small items:
---Mom's Sunbeam waffle maker, a big chrome 4-waffle unit. The interchangeable griddle plates got lost somewhere along the way.
---A Waring 'Solid State' blender that was left in a house I bought. It's also a product of the chrome-loving late 50's/early 60's. Nearly 10 pounds of glass mixer and electric motor.
---My late mother-in-law's GE clothes iron. No idea how old it is, but it has a fabric-covered cord with a non-polarized plug (and no ground, of course).
---A singer 401A sewing machine from the 50's. My aunt sold me her mother's machine after she passed. After a $30 tune-up, it has worked perfectly for over 10 years.

But for longevity, you can't beat a Singer treadle sewing machine. I have an 1887 model that I bought 40 years ago for $15. I cleaned it up, did minor repairs to the woodwork, and replaced the belt. It saw a lot of use before I got the later electric model.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:27 am 
Hunter

Quote: "My late mother-in-law's GE clothes iron. No idea how old it is, but it has a fabric-covered cord with a non-polarized plug (and no ground, of course). "

...and it probably actually gets hot, unlike the ones you can buy today, which you can almost hold your hand on with it on the highest setting.

I was just thinking, "us old geezers on this forum sure spend a lot of time talking about how much better things were in the old days." Well, ok, guilty as charged. But it's true - things were made better back then, built to last, as compared to today where everything is "disposable." I do appreciate a lot of modern improvements and conveniences, but not everything new is improved. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:15 pm 
Single-Sixer

April last year replaced the gas water heater. Made in the mid 50's.

not to mention my wife who is still going strong-a '61 model :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:24 pm 
Hunter

I bought a Black and Decker toaster-it even felt tinny. At the highest setting it usually required 2 toasting sessions for my taste. Found an old Toastmaster-in fact I found 3 of them. Works great.
A friend has some fancy fairly new car. An electronic component in the emissions system keeps going bad. The dealer told him they can only get replacements from a big batch of bad parts. It's covered under warranty but....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:30 pm 
Hawkeye

Speaking of small appliances, we still use our electric hand-mixer and electric knife regularly, and they were wedding gifts 48 years ago! The mixer has the J.J. Newberry logo.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:59 pm 
Buckeye

WAYNO wrote:
Speaking of small appliances, we still use our electric hand-mixer and electric knife regularly, and they were wedding gifts 48 years ago! The mixer has the J.J. Newberry logo.

I worked in a J.J. Newberry store when I was a young kid, keeping the floor clean and stocking shelves. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:19 pm 
Buckeye

I bought an old farmhouse in 2006. The original house dates to 1850, with an addition in the 1870s. The stove is a Kenmore, probably from the '60s. The electric hot water heater is a Hotpoint and the address on the tag is Chicago 44, Ill. So, it was built before zip codes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next