RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:29 am 
Single-Sixer

Just replaced our fridge. And to keep things "matching" my wife wanted the stove and microwave as well. Appliances don't hold up like some used to. We have a 1967 Sears Coldspot (not Kenmore) freezer. That's 52 years its been running. Talk about a bargain. Just curious who else has an oldie "whatever" that won't say die.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:47 am 
Hawkeye

The fridge in my shop is a Hot Point looked it up on the web
and best I can tell it's a 1947 or 48 model. Keeps the beer ice cold.
My neighbor gave it to me about 12 years ago, going strong! ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:51 am 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
I have a Frigidaire refrigerator/freezer that has the GM logo on it. GM sold off Frigidaire in 1979.

My cousins called all refrigerators the "Frigidaire".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:54 am 
Single-Sixer

I have an upright freezer that is about 45 years old and working flawlessly, Sears I think. Some of those old Coldspot refrigerators worked for even more years. I remember replacing gaskets, door handle, and repainting the door one that out lasted a couple of modern ones. I eventually took one of those old working Coldspots and made a meat smoker out of it, trendy in the 1970's and 1980's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:53 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
Does my 1910 era (wood fired) kitchen range qualify? Or the gallon butter churn with the wooden paddles and hand-size gear connected to the crank? Then there is the ancient radio that you turn on about 5 AM and it "warms up" just in time to listen to the noon news on WLS (AM band.)

Michel de Montaigne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:07 am 
Hawkeye

I have my Mom's old Admiral upright freezer. It works wonderfully. She's been gone 33 years, and it was used when she bought it, so I'm guessing it's 40+ years old.

I've been in my house 23 years. We've replaced the A/C, the furnace, and the hot water heater each once. We've replaced the fridge twice, and the washer and dryer each twice. My dishwasher and range are still original.

Last edited by WAYNO on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:24 am 
Single-Sixer

Remember the jokes about "planned obsolescence"? Not a joke. The only appliance that i can say for sure is that way are refrigerators. The old compressors were heavy duty, meaning "normal" back in the day. New compressors are very light-duty, the manufacturers specify that to the compressor supplier. Companies that make refrigerators are like most manufacturing concerns, they are not in business necessarily to aid the consumer, but to make a profit. That is business 101.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:25 am 
Buckeye

Now days appliances are "Energy Efficient" so it saves you money on your elect. bill every month, thing is though you have to buy another one every 6 years. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 am 
Buckeye

Hi I have a Sears chest freezer that is 44 years old and still going strong it has made 4 moves over the years and a Kenmore refrigerator that is about 8 years old I was ordering a part for the door and the parts guy from Sears told me that if the model number starts with 106- the compressor is still made in the USA and it will last forever which mine is but also told me if you get 5-6 years out of most appliances that's a lot

Gramps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:01 am 
Blackhawk

We have an Amana (I think) fridge that’s nearly 20 years old. And a Kenmore chest freezer the same age. The champion ancient appliances at our house are my grandmother’s Universal gas range probably made in the early 1950s, and the toaster my parents got as a wedding gift in 1956.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:52 am 
Hawkeye

When we moved to this house in 1980, the "original" 30 year old Crossley refrigerator was left by the old folks who moved out (probably cause it was SOOO heavy). We had a newer fridge so moved the Crossley to the barn for vet supplies and "beverages" where it ran for several years before rodents damaged the wiring.
What I discovered after the old fridge died was that our electric bill dropped an average of $10 a month (back then that was about 25%). The old Crossley was using 1/3 as much power as the rest of our appliances(which included an electric dryer) lumped together.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:18 am 
Hawkeye

I bought a Sears chest freezer in 1977 which I gave to my wife's cousin in 1980 when we moved and didn't need it anymore. He took it to his business and it has been in use there until present, and is still going strong. That´s 42 years.

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
Pres. John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:27 am 
Hawkeye

Went last weekend to hang out with a buddy who is living in the slave quarters behind the big house on a plantation and a few years back I installed a AC in the window of his guest bedroom for me... this is a small 10K btu unit that I picked up off the side of the road over 20 years ago.. built in the 70's.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:39 pm 
Buckeye

My grandmother bought a new fridge when they bought their new house in 1948. I was using it for beer. Kept it icy cold. I gave it to my nephew last year. AFAIK it’s still working. 71 years!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm 
Blackhawk

My 77 year old cousin has lived his entire life in the very, very small town of Joy, Kentucky. Joy first got electricity on Christmas Eve, 1947. His parents bought their first ever electric refrigerator, a General Electric the following year. The old thing is still working after 71 years. He says it cools better than his new frige does. I keep telling him he needs to tell GE about this.
Tom Black