RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Saving $10
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm 
Hunter

Yup, my mother-in-law is a widow and she'll buy 7 bottles of Ketchup when its .50 off just so she can "save" a bunch. Never mind we throw away all her hoarded out of date food when we visit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 am 
Hawkeye

protoolman wrote:
Yup, my mother-in-law is a widow and she'll buy 7 bottles of Ketchup when its .50 off just so she can "save" a bunch. Never mind we throw away all her hoarded out of date food when we visit.

Yup, I have a friend like that! She's 'saving' right into the poverty level. Before she retired she was doing quite well. No idea what happened! :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:49 pm 
Hawkeye

Mobuck wrote:
I'll admit to buying a LOT of stuff primarily because "it's on sale". My problem is that I forget where I put those items by the time I actually NEED them.
On the flip side, it's like Christmas in August when I find a box I'd forgot I had. I found a slightly tattered cardboard box yesterday that contained not one, not two, not three, but FOUR new rifle scopes that cost me maybe $80 each in 2006(1/2 of current value). Did I "save" $320 or have I "wasted" $320 for the last 13 years?

I'd say you're in a lose-lose situation. Why, you ask? Because now you have to buy rifles to put those scopes on! (Have fun!)

Are you gonna cowboy up, or just lay there and bleed?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:20 pm 
Hunter

My wife, despite being a teacher, apparently went to the same school as your son. I'm constantly being told what a good deal she got and how much she "saved". As in your example in the OP, she saved $10 on a $100 item. Great...I know how you could have "saved" $100. Still doesn't sink in. Now I'm all for "saving" money when purchasing stuff you really need but it's the stuff you don't need that you "save" a small percentage on, and wouldn't have bought if you hadn't "saved" that small percentage, that kind of irks me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:44 am 
Hawkeye

redhawker wrote:
My wife, despite being a teacher, apparently went to the same school as your son.

Hi,

1968-69, I was a college kid sitting in a classroom listening to this advice from the professor:

"I know you guys think you can live without money right now, but the truth is, one of these days, the Bank of Mom and Dad's gonna close and you're gonna get reeled into 'the establishment' where you're gonna have to start making the stuff yourselves. I suggest financial advisor/manager jobs, but don't look for doctors and lawyers as clients. They already know they can't handle their money, and almost always have 'a guy' to work with. Instead, manage teachers' money. They are the absolute worst money managers in the world, don't even know it, and I tell you this as one of them!"

Jump forward a half century, and I do not "manage" teachers' money, but have plenty of exposure to how they do it thru my tax practice. All I can say is I'm glad they make enough money to get them thru much of their ignorance! I have a number of teachers as clients, but my favorite is a kindergarten teacher, who only makes about $105k, before benefits which can add about a third to that figure (I've had a number of folks running day care centers who'd love to get paid that well for "babysitting.") She's a wonderful lady, but not even close to being a financial wizard. Every year we go thru the same tears and gnashing of teeth ordeal when I deliver her a figure in the range of $5000-7000 she's gotta send in on April 15. She "just can't make it" if she has enough withheld to cover that bill out front. Then she cannot get it thru her head that she has to have whatever her final tax bill is either withheld or in the bank, one way or another. She's convinced she can just put enough in her 403 (b) (equivalent of a 401(k)) to cover it all. I take earplugs to our annual meeting... and she's hardly the only one!

The good prof was right!

OTOH, a buddy and his wife have done quite well, multi-millionaires on paper at least, and she understands this "savings" thing rather well. She loves to shop, and they have the money she can do it, so off she goes. Pretty soon, she comes home. "Honey, I just saved you $1000!"

"Wonderful, how much did that cost me?"

"You don't wanta know..." He says she's a finely tuned bargain hunter, and often when she's on a roll it "costs" him no more than $1 to "save" $1... in other words, everything she bought was half off. Not bad, I guess.

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 am 
Buckeye

bogus bill wrote:

I also drive a 20 year old truck. Well, two. The wife's is 19 years old.

I need to read better, I thought you wrote, The wife's a 19 year old. :lol: