RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying worthless stuff?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:05 pm 
Hawkeye

Not a political discussion.

We hear gunshop banter including folks anticipating a rise in values "if it gets banned". This confuses me. Why would I want to spend money on a tricycle if I thought tricycles would be illegal to sell or even possess in the near future?

There is talk of the USEPA refusing states' ability to title cars requiring leaded fuel (think licensing your 1969 454 Chevy for the highway) and other unthinnkable restrictions on private property.

I cannot help but wonder... :cry: :cry: :cry:

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:37 pm 
Hawkeye

"There is talk of the USEPA refusing states' ability to title cars requiring leaded fuel"

I cannot find anything on the internet about this. All you have to do with vintage cars is to replace the valve guides with a tougher material and/or use lead substitute additives. I had a 64 TR-4 with upgraded valve guides for many years with no problems.

It is hard to believe that the Pebble Beach rich folks would let such a ruling pass.

John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:50 pm 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
There have been studies done with medium duty trucks using leaded and unleaded fuels Iirc with GM 366 ci engines and it was found there was no discernible difference between the two. The lead lubricates the valves and the engineers have come up with chemicals that work quite well.
Fleets have been using LP fuel which is very dry for years with no ill effects. The worst thing for engines is ethanol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:14 pm 

mohavesam wrote:

:lol: :mrgreen:

....it will be....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:14 am 
Hawkeye

RE: lead substitutes
For years, I used those in my older gas powered farm tractors that we pulled hard or ran long hours. We don't use them that hard anymore and I haven't used the substitutes for a decade. Still don't see any degradation of engine performance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:24 am 
Hawkeye

Back to the original question... I think most folks buying guns don't expect the big confiscation in their lifetime. I know I don't, it is really in my opinion just hype with smoke and mirrors so that we really can't see what is going on in the world.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:50 am 
Buckeye

Maybe a person has wanted a tricycle for quite some time but other things got in the way or they just kept putting it off. They still wanted a tricycle, but it never became top priority.

Then all the sudden it starts sounding like tricycles may no longer be available, so priorities just got changed & it's perceived as a now or never thing.

I don't see that being hard to understand.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:41 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
It's just a sad fact of life that men want things they can't have. I've often wondered if the congresscritters banning certain types of weapons have a stockpile of the items knowing the rumors of the ban will drive up demand and in the process the sale price.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:44 am 
Hawkeye

If I owned a tricycle and they got banned. Wouldn’t my tricycle be “grandfathered in” and be legal?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:43 am 
Hawkeye

mohavesam wrote:

I believe it is . . . sorta. The minute you say "There is talk of the USEPA refusing states' ability to title cars requiring leaded fuel (think licensing your 1969 454 Chevy for the highway) and other unthinnkable restrictions on private property" you have established the basis for something to become "unavailable" and therefore objects of desire for some folks. That this presupposes governmental action banning something cannot be ignored.

As far as WHY some folks would seek to collect such things while still available I'd guess you'd hafta say it's just the way some folks see the situation. Some would do it because they'd think they couldn't get along without something while others would do it just to flip off the government with the "I gots my rights" argument.

With respect to guns'n'ammo, there's a whole other thing involving the Second Amendment's application to our way of life.

Guess it all depends on what you believe you NEED from life . . . and for some folks, their political persuasion.

JMHO
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:12 pm 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
Considering the way a certain geriatric teenager drives a certain car that takes leaded fuel I'm not sure refusing title is such a bad thing. (/sarcasm OFF)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 pm 
Single-Sixer

SAJohn wrote:
All you have to do with vintage cars is to replace the valve guides with a tougher material and/or use lead substitute additives. I

John

The valve seats are what takes the beating with unleaded gas when used in older motors. In 1974 GM began using hardened steel valve seats in the heads of their motors the same year they put the little diameter gas fill nozzle on the cars so you couldn't get the bigger leaded gas pump nozzle in it. Not sure about other manufactures.

I had a '73 Trans Am and a '74 Camaro at the time. The T/A used leaded and the Camaro used unleaded.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:08 pm 
Hawkeye

The title of this thread is misleading. A tricycle is not arbitrarily worthless simply because it is banned. In addition, pre-ban trikes would most likely be grandfathered in, creating a supply/demand spike before the ban takes effect. Short of outright confiscation in conjunction with the ban, there is money to be made, obviously. That ensures that the trycycle is anything but worthless.

Buying a kickstand for a trycycle would be worthless...

Are you gonna cowboy up, or just lay there and bleed?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:35 pm 
Buckeye

SAJohn wrote:
"There is talk of the USEPA refusing states' ability to title cars requiring leaded fuel"

I cannot find anything on the internet about this. All you have to do with vintage cars is to replace the valve guides with a tougher material and/or use lead substitute additives. I had a 64 TR-4 with upgraded valve guides for many years with no problems.

Who cares what the car "requires". You can't buy leaded fuel so it's a moot point on burning it in your car. (OK I think you can still buy 100 low lead at the airport). It's about having cars with computers they can track the mileage on to tax you per mile. The lead lubricates the valve seats not the guides.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:49 pm 
Hawkeye

wolfsong wrote:
Buying a kickstand for a trycycle would be worthless...

Not only that, it might be confused with a "shoulder thing that goes up".

:wink: :lol: :wink: