RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:55 am 
Ruger Guru

More prayers from here too Gunny.

I understand the beard thing. But I've got you by a few years. I've not had a clean shaved chin since November 1979. My youngest son is younger than my beard. :D
I too keep mine trimmed back to a shorter length, usually about 2" give or take.

Hang in there my friend!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:09 am 
Single-Sixer

GunnyGene wrote:
I was hoping I'd make it out of this life with everything I was born with (except teeth and hair). But I guess not. I'll be loosing a saliva gland and one or more parathyroid glands in about 10 days. Doc thinks they're benign tumors, but won't know for sure till he gets them out and sent to the lab. Over night stay. Will have a drain bag on the side of my neck for a few days. Bland diet. Sleep in the recliner, etc. :groan:

Worst part is I have to shave my 37 y/o beard off before the surgery. I'm thinking I can get away with keeping a 'stache and goatee tho. :wink:

Hi...
I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1977 and the radiation treatments pretty much destroyed my saliva glands for several months along with the loss of my sense of taste. Both eventually came back although my saliva was a bit thicker than previously.
In 2012, I had saliva gland cancer and the radiation treatments that time destroyed permanently about half of my saliva glands. They will never recover according to the radiation oncologist. There are products on the market to help with the dry mouth syndrome that follows. Fortunately my remaining saliva glands continue to function but chewing and swallowing food can be a challenge at times. You may find that you won't enjoy some foods after you lose that saliva gland. I can no longer eat spicy food...simply do not have enough saliva to prevent the hot sauces and peppers from causing havoc with my tongue and throat.

Small price to pay for staying alive.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 am 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
Be well, Gunny!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:34 am 
Hawkeye

Good luck Gunny!! Gettin' rid of that pesky beard every now & then is a good idea. August is a good time to do it rather than the cooler months! ;) Silver linings all over the place, eh? lol

"You need only reflect that once of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A Beard - Early 20th Century Historian and scholar.

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:31 pm 
Hunter

Just now saw this. I'll send up some prayers for you too Gunny. Hang in there. - DixieBoy

Sure, you can trust the U.S. government. Just ask an American Indian!

#iwillnotcomplyfu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:48 pm 
Blackhawk

You’re in my prayers, Gunny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:43 pm 
Buckeye

I just forwarded my prayer for you and all those involved with this health problem. Wishing for the best for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:35 am 
Maximum

God Bless, my friend.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:06 pm 
Blackhawk

Just saw this. Hope all went well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:10 pm 
Hawkeye

Thanks everyone. I'm sure it'll be fine, got a real good surgeon who's done this procedure many times with no problems.

Joe, surgery isn't till early next week. Should be back on line around the end of next week.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:58 pm 
Hunter

Make sure you binge on comfort food before you're forced to diet!

Good luck Gunny. Prayers sent. :)

#Iwillnotcomplyfu

They want to "have a conversation". I want to grease the guillotine.

If you don't turn in your guns, they can't make you ride in the cattle cars.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:46 pm 
Hawkeye

They let me out this morning. Surgery was a little more extensive than anticipated so I was under for about 2 1/2 hrs. Took out the left spit gland, 2 parathyroid glands and a part of the Thyroid itself. Some fairly significant cuts - looks like some Tango got me. Sorry no pics, but you get the idea. Seriously tho, the surgeon did a fine job. I invited him to join msgo, since he's a hunter and sometime target shooter. Don't know if he will or not, but he sounded interested if he can find the time.

Met a member ( different forum) who took the time to stop by and say hello before he put me under - he's an anesthesiologist at NMMC. He knows who he is. :)

Last nite was miserable in the hospital room. Hardly slept at all.

I'm wearing a drain for the next couple days. The container looks like a mini hand grenade hanging around my neck. Then a couple weeks to heal up, and an unknown period of watching the remaining glands.

Btw, this had nothing to do with being a life long smoker. It's genetic and getting old in my case.

Word of advise - get your blood calcium checked annually, especially if you're over 40 or so. A high reading is the first indication of a problem with parathyroid glands. Letting it go, means they will take calcium from your bones which leads to several problems - osteoporosis, etc.

ETA: The spit glands (parotids) located right under each earlobe are very close to a major nerve that controls the muscles on that side of your face. They can interfere with that nerve if they get big, so keep an eye on them for any swelling and get it taken care of. Loss of muscle control on one side of your mug could put you out of our common pastime, due to sagging or other issues. I have some numbness of my left ear flap after this surgery but that should go away when the swelling goes down - I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 pm 
Blackhawk

Glad to hear it went well, now get yourself on the road to a speedy & comfortable recovery.
Any good lookin’ nurse stories?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:48 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

Glad to hear you came thru all this so far, Gunny. Yeah, there will be some adjustments, but you'll make 'em! I'm late to this thread, so my first prayer is for a complete recovery.

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm 
Hawkeye

Pic of my "neck grenade" and the cut for the parathyroid. The tube goes up to the larger incision done for the parotid just behind my ear. Drains about 25-30ml of "precious bodily fluids" every 12 hrs or so. I thought the leather neckless (my design) was a nice touch. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next