RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:56 pm 
Hawkeye

BearBio wrote: “BTW: Many black bears outweigh the average grizz. And, as I've stated before, I REALLY don't like moose!”

The world record Black Bear came from North Carolina weighing 880 lbs!
https://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_black_bear_size
BearBio, congrats on retiring! I love moose when they are on a platter or in a bowl! :mrgreen:
gramps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:25 pm 
Hunter

I think only one or two of the grizzlies I've seen have been close to that big. But, I haven't seen any coastal brownies or a polar bear (in the wild).

Personally, I've found moose a little stringy (but, have only had older bulls that friends shot). Last Christmas I traded some Alaskan halibut to a friend in the Forest Service for some deer cutlets and a bear roast. Ate the bear roast Christmas Eve.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:01 pm 
Single-Sixer

BearBio wrote:
I'll dig out my references from storage (I retired two weeks ago=or look it up on line.)

Thanks for the references. Never ever seen a wild grizzly anywhere, but I do enjoy a good gun verses spray debate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:13 pm 
Hawkeye

The Bear decides whether something is effective or not. Not the shooter.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:55 pm 
Hunter

I haven't had any bear trouble but raccoons did get in the bagged garbage in the back of my truck at a campground in Mississippi last night. One of them came out from under the camper and growled at my wife and I while we were sitting outside drinking a Coke. I was unarmed and felt very threatened. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:58 am 
Hunter

Raccoons can be nasty. One chased my wife off our table at night on a quail hunt!

Also, can carry rabies pretty often.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:39 am 
Single-Sixer

SAJohn wrote:
My old model Ruger Super Blackhawk revolver with Keith 250 grainers makes about 1250 ft-lbs of energy. The old black powder Sharps buffalo gun chambered in .45-70 government made about 1300 ft-lbs.

My S&W 500 Mag generates about 2,600 ft-lbs or there abouts just according to how much powder and what weight bullets I use.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:49 am 
Hunter

No doubt, the following will be controversial.

It is a memorable observation from this wonderful book about Alaska.

Monty

“Reviewing our experiences, we had become more and more convinced that carrying arms was not only unnecessary in most grizzly country but was certainly no good for the desired atmosphere and proper protocol in obtaining good film records. If we were to obtain such film and fraternize successfully with the big bears, it would be better to go unarmed in most places. The mere fact of having a gun within reach, cached somewhere in a pack or a hidden holster, causes a man to act with unconscious arrogance and thus maybe to smell different or to transmit some kind of signal objectionable to bears. The armed man does not assume his proper role in association with the wild ones, a fact of which they seem instantly aware at some distance. He, being wilder than they, whether he likes to admit it or not, is instantly under even more suspicion than he would encounter if unarmed. One must follow the role of an uninvited visitor—an intruder—rather than that of an aggressive hunter, and one should go unarmed to insure this attitude.”

From John McPhee, Coming Into The Country

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79. ... he_Country

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1977 ... aska-cold/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:03 pm 
Blackhawk

I carried a .357 for bears myself, it dropped right into my front pocket, and it was handy. I figured that if a bear charged, I would wait on it to get very close, and then I would defend.
And if it got right up on me, I intended to blow its jaw off, and to be very deliberate. That was in Alaska, and I knew that the bears there were nuts. So, it would take a cool head to stop one.

Last edited by mistermills357 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:06 pm 
Hawkeye

Montelores wrote:

Monty

“Reviewing our experiences, we had become more and more convinced that carrying arms was not only unnecessary in most grizzly country but was certainly no good for the desired atmosphere and proper protocol in obtaining good film records. If we were to obtain such film and fraternize successfully with the big bears, it would be better to go unarmed in most places. The mere fact of having a gun within reach, cached somewhere in a pack or a hidden holster, causes a man to act with unconscious arrogance and thus maybe to smell different or to transmit some kind of signal objectionable to bears. The armed man does not assume his proper role in association with the wild ones, a fact of which they seem instantly aware at some distance. He, being wilder than they, whether he likes to admit it or not, is instantly under even more suspicion than he would encounter if unarmed. One must follow the role of an uninvited visitor—an intruder—rather than that of an aggressive hunter, and one should go unarmed to insure this attitude.”

That is the biggest bunch of crap I've ever read.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:09 pm 
Blackhawk

Bear Paw Jack wrote:
Montelores wrote:

Monty

That is the biggest bunch of crap I've ever read.

Who wrote that tripe, PETA? And yes it a big bunch of crap! Grizzlies and brown bears are terrifying creatures that will eat a human. Who does not comprehend that?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:21 pm 
Hunter

I personally know .22s are good against dinosaurs! I saw it on TV!

And BB guns are good for home defense! Just ask Richie! But don't shoot your eye out!