RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Notes on "Soul Food"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:59 pm 
Hawkeye

All of the beer joints worth their salt had big jars of pickled pigs feet, red hot sausages, pickled eggs on the bar. I ate many of them with my Dad and Grandfather. Most winter Saturday afternoons they would go to the small town beer joint to play Pinochle and I would shoot pool.
They also had a griddle that the owner made outstanding burgers on.
I have had snapping turtle fried and in turtle soup a long time ago. My Grandmother would dig up dandelion greens in the yard and cook them. I also ate a lot of souse sandwiches.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:05 pm 
Hawkeye

Bob Wright wrote:
Among Cajuns and Blacks, if it moves, its food. Boil, fry, or barbecue.

Hi,

Many years ago I was at a local lake we fished a lot. For years, it was just stocked trout, then DFG decided to try to make it into a warm water fishery and introduced some bass and some kind of tidbit sized sunfish. All the warm water fish that weren't eaten by their neighbors in the first weeks ended up stunted from overcrowding, and few people fishing for them.

One morning a couple of us were fishing one end of the lake when a young black fellow came up to us, and asked if there were any catfish in the lake. None of us had ever seen anyone even fishing that lake for cats, let alone catching one, and we told him that. He looked at the other end of the lake, and said it looked like good catfish water and off he went to see. We just wondered out loud about what he saw that we didn't.

A half hour or so later, he came back, with two nice eatin' size catfish on his stringer and a big grin on his face as he announced "I knew there had to be some catfish in here!" We were amazed. He joined us in more conversation, where we learned he was from Louisiana, and he joked that in LA if there's a ditch beside the road, you ain't gonna starve! Talk then went to what people consider to be "food" in different places. I volunteered that having been brought up close enough to the Mexican border to throw a rock and hit it, I'd learned early on that if it fit inside a tortilla, it was "food."

Our new friend told us that where he was from, if it fit under Tabasco sauce, it was "food!"

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:46 pm 
Hawkeye

I was near the town of Mermantau, Louisiana, and there was a water filled hole in the road, maybe a foot and a half in diameter. A lone mallard was paddling around that shallow pothole.

And four Cajuns were building a duck blind on the shoulder of the road.

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:29 am 
Buckeye

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 am 
Hawkeye

Cajuns duck hunting by Justin Wilson . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQakarNenHQ

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:49 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

How many of us miss Ol' Justin? :)

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...