RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:55 pm 

So tell me please what you think is the real honest to goodness fair price on a set of 50th Anniv Commemoratives. One 357, one 44, in boxes, unfired, etc.

I don't follow new models or "special editions". Usually I see them priced at $1000 or more for the pair and they don't sell.

Honest opinions please!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:23 pm 
Hunter

I realize that I'm not answering your question, but I also am perplexed that these don't seem to be big sellers.

The steel grip frames give them a great feel and differentiate them from the standard grip frames.

My .357 is a constant visitor to the range and is a fantastic revolver.

The adornment (gold lettering) I can do without, but it doesn't really bother me because the gun is so accurate (for me).

As far as collectibility or price, I can't say.

I hope that this response isn't a distraction form your question.

Monty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:38 pm 
Hawkeye

"I also am perplexed that these don't seem to be big sellers."

Nor do they seem to hold their values very well. Most of the ones that come up on the classifieds have been shot and I'm sure that makes some difference, but they don't seem to have gone up in value, nearly as much as the owners imagination. I'm thinking if one has been shot $400-$450, but the price alone sells it. Unfired with box maybe as much as $550 to the right buyer. Just from trying to remember what I've seen on various classifieds. I haven't seen the 357 mags go for any more than any other 357 mag. If they are consecutive serial numbers, possibly higher to a new collector you could break $1000-$1100. Good luck it's been a while since I sold mine, and I was surprised that I couldn't get more.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

Last edited by Bear Paw Jack on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:54 pm 

A Gunbroker search (completed auctions) shows they just don't sell.

All these were complete packages unfired, etc.

357 $385 & $410

44 $425 & $440

Pair's $1200 & another at $1450. No bids.

Most of the actual bidding ends before they hit $400 it seems. My local friend who is thinking about letting his go thinks they were $425 each new.

Not only is the gun market super soft ..... commemoratives and special editions are turds; especially since they're usually NOT limited production.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:03 pm 
Hawkeye

I had a set of these, new. Such poor sellers, I broke the set up and sold them individually, including selling the display box by itself. For the three part set, I got roughly $800. Fortunately, that's all I paid.

I also have owned individually, a few more of just the .357 version. They've all sold in the $325 range. They're only worth what someone is willing to give.

I don't think being commemorative has an impact on these models, either way. Other than the gold washed 50th anniversary engraving which quickly fades away, they are just another New Model Flattop, which don't seem to be red hot sellers in my world.

Remember too, the distributors were closing them out, brand-new, in the $369 range.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:10 pm 

Yeah I forgot about the close outs WAYNO ...... think CDNN had them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:57 pm 
Hawkeye

My take... Unless it's a collector looking for a particular serial number it's basically just another old SBH to most folks which aren't going to pay a premium for the 50th aspect.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm 
Ruger Guru

I believe the main issue that affects their value is that about 15,000 of each caliber were made. The 50th Super has done much better since only about 1,500 were made. JMHO.
FT44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:17 pm 
Hawkeye

I think flattop44 is right, they moved a ton of product for them to go up in value. Only one way for it to go.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:12 am 
Hawkeye

The casual buyer just doesn't buy matched sets. Its not just Rugers.
Even fewer casual shooters have a need/want for a walnut and glass display case. "Cases are for putting away" one pal told me.

I figure a NIB steel-framed Blackhawk is a $500-600 gun thee days. It ain't 1980 anymore. :shock: MSRP on aluminum-framed guns hovers around $630 and $830 today.

I won't sell a premium shooter for less, nor do I have to.

All these things are said, but I have a (Ruger executive-selected) NIB, un-turned set & perfect walnut case for sale to the right person. That person will have an NRA card in his pocket... :wink:

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:27 pm 
Blackhawk

I have both 357 nib and 44 shot quite a bit with 44 spec.Did not buy for collected value. 357 will be a 38/40 eventuly.44 a handful with mag loads

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 pm 
Certified Ruger Maniac

I once bought serial number 357 anniversary to go with Bob C's original serial number 357....

Bob passed away before I could get over to show it to him.....

357 and 520-00357 ended up with another friend TOMMYGUN....he too passed away and the pair was sold at Rock Island....

I didn't chase them at the auction.....I guess I wasn't meant to own this pair.....RR