RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breakfast For Supper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:47 pm 
Buckeye

Every now and then we'll have breakfast for supper.. just to change things up a bit.

I love either country ham, country bacon, or homemade sausage for the meal. Not everyone knows that country ham and country bacon are a lot different than what you normally get down at the local store!
Country hams are a dry-curing process, usually using salt, brown sugar, and typically aged 9-10 months, though hams are available 1 year and older, and available either unsmoked or hickory-smoked.
Country bacon is dry cured by hand with salt, brown sugar, and black pepper. After about three weeks curing and drying it is thoroughly smoked in a wood smokehouse for two to three days.
Homemade sausage is bought from friends that makes sausage using whole hog and you can get it mild or hot.

Every meal of this type has "cathead biscuits"! This is a biscuit that's as big as a cat's head... I like them made with buttermilk and a little lard in the mix. To go with them is either redeye gravy, or white gravy.. most of the time I like sorghum syrup with my biscuits. Sorghum isn't the same as molasses... sorghum is made from sweet sorghum cane and molasses is made from sugar cane.

Eggs either fried or scrambled and of course, black coffee... ya got'a have coffee!

Yes, I know, not everyone would like a meal like this... and I guess people in California just wouldn't understand... because it's a Southern Thang!

Just a note.. Benton’s Smoky Mountain Country Hams, Madisonville, Tennessee ... has some good products.
https://bentonscountryhams2.com/

Post subject: Re: Breakfast For Supper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:04 pm 
Bearcat

Durn

Your

Hide.

Now hungry.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:09 pm 
Hawkeye

Number9 wrote:
Every now and then we'll have breakfast for supper.. just to change things up a bit.

Last edited by WAYNO on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:18 am 
Buckeye

Yummy!! Actually people have been making breakfast for supper for ages. And it is not just a Southern thing, although I did grow up in the South. In my youth, my Italian immigrant parents often made frittatas for supper. I still do that frequently. But I love eggs in almost any form. So bring on the traditional stuff. I love grits, potatoes, or pancakes for my carbs. Darn. Now I am hungry. Well, I know what I am making first thing in the morning.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:25 am 
Buckeye

This Califorian understands - everything but grits.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:38 am 
Hunter

Nothing wrong with breakfast for supper! It’s my favorite meal! My specialty is fried potatoes cut into perfect 1/4” cubes. Everyone is always amazed they are cut by hand and think it is a lot of work. I don’t know why it’s not hard to do with a sharp knife. Being a diabetic I don’t eat many of them. For me the eggs have to be runny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:13 am 
Blackhawk

One of our favorite dinners when w plan poorly, is bacon and egg sandwiches, with a big slice of onion.....mmmmmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:14 am 
Hawkeye

Number 9, there is one thing you left out——-your address! :shock: Yep looks good! 8) :lol:
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:25 am 
Bearcat

This sounds like my kind of meal. My only question is does your red-eye gravey have coffee in it? Ours is slightly watered down drippings from the ham. Years ago I was surprised to learn that some folks cut their red-eye gravey with coffee.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:59 am 
Hawkeye

Be right over! ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:24 am 
Ruger Guru

Breakfast for supper,,, common around here.
Country ham vs country bacon,, yep,, I do know the difference.
Same with Sorghum & Molasses.

Just yesterday,, Miss Penny & I went "loafing" out & about. We'd actually planned a trip to Sieverville Tn., But the store she wanted to go to was gone. (Corelle outlet.) So,, instead,, we headed to SC & loafed around. We got hungry about 1 pm,, and decided to hit the Cracker Barrel. Yep,, I had Breakfast for lunch myself. But,, their "country ham" is NOT real country ham,, so I opted for the pork chops with my eggs, hash browns, grits & all.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:31 am 
Hawkeye

Finally, someone had GRITS!! What is breakfast/supper without grits??????? :mrgreen: Thanks Contender!! Tonight we're having fried catfish and cheese grits.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:48 am 
Buckeye

Seminole Wind wrote:
This sounds like my kind of meal. My only question is does your red-eye gravey have coffee in it? Ours is slightly watered down drippings from the ham. Years ago I was surprised to learn that some folks cut their red-eye gravey with coffee.

Yes... always known coffee was added to make red-eye gravy. You don't hear the name "sawmill gravy" used much anymore, it's gravy made from the sausage or bacon grease with or without bits of sausage or bacon in the gravy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:53 am 
Buckeye

contender wrote:
Breakfast for supper,,, common around here.
Country ham vs country bacon,, yep,, I do know the difference.
Same with Sorghum & Molasses.

Just yesterday,, Miss Penny & I went "loafing" out & about. We'd actually planned a trip to Sieverville Tn., But the store she wanted to go to was gone. (Corelle outlet.) So,, instead,, we headed to SC & loafed around. We got hungry about 1 pm,, and decided to hit the Cracker Barrel. Yep,, I had Breakfast for lunch myself. But,, their "country ham" is NOT real country ham,, so I opted for the pork chops with my eggs, hash browns, grits & all.

Talking about Southern Country Food to someone from North Carolina... is like telling Noah about a flood!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:51 am 
Hunter

My wife grew up on a farm and dinner could be whatever was abundant including pancakes, eggs and lots of vegetables. I’m more of a real dinner food person and don’t usually go for breakfast food at dinner time. Although a cup of coffee after dinner is appreciated.