RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 pm 
Hunter

Have a 2008 Sienna with about 88K miles.

Last time I was under it I noticed the passenger side rack bellows was wet with oil or something. It has not dripped to the ground yet so figured it could wait for the dealer to check out more when I took it in for an oil change. Also the reservoir looks in range like it hasn't lost a bunch of fluid.

So the dealer said I need the bellows changed to the tune of about $150.00.

So my question is; how will changing a bellows fix a leak? Isn't that part just a dust cover basically?

Thanks for input,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:04 pm 
Buckeye

My wife just had the timing cover gasket replaced recently for leakage. I understand it's fairly common with those engines.

https://www.siennachat.com/threads/timi ... -it.62328/

Psalm 14:1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:03 am 
Blackhawk

I would say replacing the bellows only is a waste of time. Best case scenario, pulling it off will reveal the source of the leak and additional parts to be replaced. Worst case, the leak is somewhere else completely unrelated and you've spent 150$ on something that should have been wiped up with a rag after fixing the other leak.

My experience is that by the time there's fluid coming out of the bellows, the end seals on the rack are on the way out and the whole assembly should be replaced. Good news is a rack R&R at a non-dealer should be around 500$ and will come with 2 new bellows.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:11 am 
Hawkeye

Dang,a 'yota with problems at 88K! :shock:

As stated,replacing the rack is probably the best way to proceed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:07 pm 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
It may not be the rack. Something else could be dripping onto the bellows.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:39 pm 
Hunter

My son and his wife had a 2007 Sienna and for the last 2 years had strange overheating problems with it among other electrical issues.
Around town driving no problems but go on a long 7 hour road trip and it would overheat and blow the coolant out. The shop would test everything and find nothing. Thermostat replaced and all things checked out but then after a year a 3 hour road trip same thing happened until I think it blew a head gasket.
They sold it off and got another vehicle.

Also the side mirrors crapped out as far as the electric operation and they are 400 bucks a pop plus the power side door crapped out as well. 107 thousand miles on it as of April 2019 when they sold it off.
So much for long term Toyota quality!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:15 pm 
Hunter

Mus408 wrote:
My son and his wife had a 2007 Sienna and for the last 2 years had strange overheating problems with it among other electrical issues.
Around town driving no problems but go on a long 7 hour road trip and it would overheat and blow the coolant out. The shop would test everything and find nothing. Thermostat replaced and all things checked out but then after a year a 3 hour road trip same thing happened until I think it blew a head gasket.
They sold it off and got another vehicle.

Also the side mirrors crapped out as far as the electric operation and they are 400 bucks a pop plus the power side door crapped out as well. 107 thousand miles on it as of April 2019 when they sold it off.
So much for long term Toyota quality!

I think every maker has good and bad vehicles. I know I like my Toyota van WAY better than the GMs I had in the past. All the GMs had head gasket issues. ALL of them. This Toyota has been perfect for the 20K miles I've had it until now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:59 am 
Buckeye

The rack is going. You can try an additive like Lucas Power Steering sealer. It thickens the fluid. Years ago many rack and pinions had “morning sickness”. The fluid would bypass the spool vale when cold. Once the system warmed up the rack expanded and proper steering was restored. Many a used car guy added Lucas to thicken the fluid a minimize or eliminate the problem for a while at least. Replacing the boots, which are intended to keep dirt out, not fluid in, is pointless. A rack is the correct fix barring another substance from elsewhere running down the boot. Since you said the fluid level is dropping I’d give the additive a try. Can’t hurt. At worst you’re out $8-$9.