RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 pm 
Buckeye

Having a 45acp auto pistol for self defense is not a bad thing IMO. Having a 45 Colt revolver for hunting is one of the better.
The ability to use, for whatever reason, the ACP in the revolver seems a sensible option to me, simply more versatility.

Now, the idea of having a revolver that shoots "only" an Auto cartridge has pretty much escaped me. Not saying it's a bad thing, just a choice I've never justified in my own mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:59 am 
Single-Sixer

From what I have read the convertible 9mm Blackhawk came out when HUGE amounts of milsurp 9 mm was coming into the country and would sell for 2 cents a pop from large containers. These days with 9mm brass free for the picking up at any range and 6 cavity 9mm molds it is probably as cheap to shoot 9mm as it was then in constant dollars. If your cylinder has been throated for cast projectiles the accuracy at 50 yards can be surprising.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:56 pm 
Hunter

Revolvers make retrieving brass easier.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:58 pm 
Hawkeye

Taurus makes an interesting little .380 5-shot snubbie. I've handled one at a gun show, and it is a very concealable little revolver, with frame and cylinder just long enough for the .380 cartridge.