RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:22 pm 
Hunter

Ok, first off I'm not bad mouthing any particular gun or caliber, I just want to be educated as to what supposed advantages, or disadvantages, there are to revolvers that are chambered for, for example, 9mm or .45 ACP or whatever semi-auto caliber you might have. I mean don't you have to use 1/2 moon clips with most of them or, if not, is ejection of the spent rounds a problem because there no rim on the cartridge? What made me think of this was someone on another site asking if anyone knew of 9mm ammo that had a crimp on the cartridge case or at least had a tight fit of the bullet in the brass because he was having problems with the bullets in the cylinder starting to creep out of the brass as he fired the revolver. Seems to me that most of the semi-auto calibers have revolver calibers that are pretty close in performance so I'm not seeing that as a big factor in the choice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 pm 
Hawkeye

Double-action revolvers need a rim clip for the extraction/ejection of rimless cartridges; single-action revolvers do not.

While I generally have no interest in a DA revolver so chambered, I am interested (and own) SA revolvers with dual cylinders (aka: convertibles) - like .45 Colt/.45ACP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:35 pm 
Hunter

At this time they tell me 9mm ammo is the cheapest center fire next to the .22 lr. That could be the most likely incentive, especially if you buy a duel cylinder SA revolver. .45 auto and .45 colt also is sensible. Personally I wouldn't buy a .9mm only in a DA revolver. If I wanted a 9mm I just would buy a auto.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:40 pm 
Blackhawk

I enjoy shooting revolvers and dislike having my empty brass slung all over the countryside by a semi-auto. 9mm ammo and .45acp ammo are cheaper, respectively, than .38 and .45 Colt, and offer much the same performance and often, improved bullet designs for self defense.

That’s why I like revolvers in semi-auto calibers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:41 pm 
Hunter

They're fun.
In 1917 the War Department was able to acquire large numbers of handguns in the military standard 45 ACP by having Colt and S&W chamber their large frame 45 caliber revolvers for it.
Revolvers make retrieving brass easier.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:54 pm 
Hawkeye

Here is my story, for whatever its worth.

Many years ago I bought a Colt Gold Cup in .45 ACP. Nice pistol, accuracy was great, and properly handloaded, worked well on shooting crows out to about seventy five yards or so. I accumulated a sizable amount of brass in .45 ACP. Then one day an ejected case lodged in my glasses and burnt the fire out of my eye brow. Was able to trade that pistol for a Colt New Frontier in .45 Colt.

Since I had a lot of ACP brass on hand, I had two Ruger Blackhawks with ACP cylinders, and I bought a S&W Model 625. That 625 cured me of using clips to load ACP cases into a DA revolver. Got rid of the Smith and used up the brass in my Rugers, ans ending up giving away all my ACP brass, plus a smidgen pf .45 AR.

Most recently I've salvaged some split .45 Colt cases, cutting them to ACP length, calling them .45 Xtra Short and firing them in the ACP cylinder. Absolutely no justification for this other than "Gee whiz! Wonder if this would work" type of thinking.

Bob Wright

(It did work, and was fun!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:54 pm 
Hunter

Yes, years ago I had a 45 ACP eject and wedge itself between the frame of my shooting glasses-and my cheek.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:23 pm 
Buckeye

The military started it. Back when they wanted bigger, more power than the 38 revolver of the day. Of course they had how many rounds of 45acp on hand at the time. So by wanting a revolver, making one in 45acp made sense to someone who counts pennies and beans.
S&W made a k frame if I remember right, that was in 9mm. A friend who bought one was because according to him they were to go to military air crews. He got one because he was still army and ammo was free, He said he carried it either with or instead of a beretta 92 issue gun. I have never confirmed his story. He did carry it as a backup patrol gun when we had 9mms. (Not what I would pick). You also left out the revolver that was made in 5.56. That one I read about and it was to be offered to the military, not sure it received much serious thought and I beleive went away a few years after it came out. I cannot remember the name of that beast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 pm 
Single-Sixer

Rimless Cartridge in a Revolver is Neat. It gives me another reason
to buy another S&W Revolver.

Cartridges like the 9mm and 45ACP are common on Ammo Shelves
and easy to come by.

The "Moon Clip" can be pre-loaded. 6 rounds to load at once, when
expended, eject, and throw in another Moon Clip.

You have the accuracy, reliability, and safety/simplicity of a Revolver.

Don't have to chase the empties for reloading.

Looked at the new S&W Model 610, 10mm Auto, 4"Bbl Revolver
the other day. It loads/shoots 40 S&W also. May buy one in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:40 pm 
Buckeye

IMNSHO, the best fighting revolver is the M625 Smith & Wesson Mountain Gun chambered in .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim. I carried a S&W M625 3" my last two years as a police officer. At the time, I couldn't find a Mountain Gun or a 4" MG barrel. In my speed loader pouches I could carry two full clips with the bullet points down, topped with two more full moon clips with the bullet points up. I then had 30 rounds of .45 ACP 230 grain HPs at my disposal. During qualifications, I could reload as fast as or faster than my fellow officers armed with semi autos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:08 am 
Hawkeye

I try to cover all the bases. When ammo is in short supply, just maybe pistol cartridges could be available when revolver cartridges are not, or visa-versa. I also very much adhere to the idea of keeping an assortment of firearms that shoot current military or police chamberings.

I have DA revolvers chambered in 9mm. I don't shoot them at all, ever. Extraction without moon clips is slow, and moon clips are cumbersome, to me.

But SA revolvers? That's a whole different story. And ejection is a non-issue. I'm finding myself shooting auto cartridges more often than revolver cartridges in the same guns. I own or have owned Blackhawks and/or Vaqueros in 9mm, .40, 10mm, and .45 ACP. For me, they are every bit as accurate as the same guns with conventional revolver chamberings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:25 am 
Hawkeye

Why? Why not.....? They have been around over a hundred years......

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm 
Hawkeye

blackhawknj wrote:
Yes, years ago I had a 45 ACP eject and wedge itself between the frame of my shooting glasses-and my cheek.

I had a 5.56 go down the from of my fatigue shirt. Left a nice burn track all the way down to the belt line.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:48 pm 
Hawkeye

It's quite easy to quickly reload a revolver with moon clips. Punch the ejector everything comes out, stuff in the moon clip. No turning or pushing of knobs.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm 
Hawkeye

I have two. The first one I got is/was a Smith Model 610. An "N" frame 10mm
that shoots like a dream. That one is FUN!

The second is a Ruger LCR in 9mm. As said above, removing of empty brass is
very quick and the reload is very fast. In addition the 9mm out performs the
.38 Special in the LCR length barrel.

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.