RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:40 pm 
Buckeye

I eat a lot of zero carb meats on my assigned and directed diet. 9 pounds to go to reach the Body Mass Index point I need to weigh. One thing I've learned is to always have on hand pre-cooked meats I can grab, nuke and snack on rather than grabbing a bag of chips or junk foods. Right now pork loin is less expensive than pork shoulder, and I can bake a loin in 2 hours instead of the 11 hours needed smoking a shoulder. Sometimes I have to accommodate my time constraints.
I'd enjoy seeing some recipes other members here like for baking pork loin that will be cooled, sliced and frozen in individual servings if you please.
I prefer very spicy (hot too) and very savory recipes. I have in mind both pre-cooking rubs and injected spices during baking. The last loin I baked with an Italian seasoning rub didn't have enough flavor through and through to satisfy my tastes.
In the past I've asked and learned some really good meatloaf recipes from others here.
Thanks folks. Don

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:02 pm 
Hawkeye

My green-eyed monster makes a Portugese-style pork loin roast using her family's recipe.

It requires a roasting time of 3 hours, and a marinade time of at least 8 hours, so we start the marinade the night before the planned dinner.

Ingredients:

* 3lb (+/-) whole pork loin
* Hot Chourico sausage link(s)
* 1 can (14oz) Hunt's tomato sauce
* 1 Tbsp Crushed red peppers (wet, not dried)
* 2 Tbsp garlic powder
* 2 Tbsp Pesto
* 1 Tbsp anchovie paste (or 2 anchovies, crushed)
* 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
* 2 onions, halved
* 2lb potatoes, peeled/quartered (substitute turnip for a no-carb veggie)
* 2lbs carrots, peeled/chunked
* Salt/pepper to taste

Instructions:

1) Assemble marinade - 3Tbsp wine vinegar, 2Tbsp salt, 2Tbsp garlic powder, 2Tbsp Pesto, 1Tbsp crushed red peppers, 1 Tsp black pepper, & anchovie paste - mix.crush all ingredients into a paste & reserve

2) With a carving knife that has a blade about 1" wide and long enough to pierce the pork loin end-to-end, run the blade through the center of the loin (end-to-end) twice, making an "X" patterned hole.

3) With a sharp fork, poke a few holes into & around the length of the Chourico sausage link(s).

4) Press the Chourico sausage link(s), with casing "on", into the hole until the ends of the sausage are flush or below flush with the each end of the hole.

5) Rub the marinade onto the treated pork loin, wrap in Saran Wrap (plastic wrap), place in a Xip-Loc bag & refrigerate a minimum of 8 hours.

Next day: per-heat oven to 350-degrees

1) Place marinated Pork loin into a large roasting pan and arrange potatoes/carrots/onions around it, then pour tomato sauce over all (but mainly on the meat).

2) Roast @ 350 for 2-1/2 hrs, then raise heat to 400-degrees & bake the roast/etc for an additional 30mins.

3) Reserve pan juices for gravy/garnish ladled over the sliced meat.

Bon-Appetit ! . :mrgreen:

Last edited by pete44ru on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48 pm 
Single-Sixer

Recently I downloaded a "Crockpot Sloppy Joe" receipe, just use it as a 'guide'. Here is my version using some of the suggested ingredients and their measurements:

Approximately 2 pound pork loin
Put it in the crock pot, don't bother browning it. But for faster cooking you can cut it up into large chunks.
Did a mix of 50-50 ketchup and Kung Pao sauce, garlic, onion, Worcester sauce, rice (or white) vinegar and some brown sugar. Pour it over the pork loin.
Cook on High until it is easy to pull apart, approx. 4-6 hours.
Can be used like a dip (cold or hot) with corn chips or just make a hot sandwich with Sourdough English muffins and English cucumber. Recipes are useful starting places that I like to tailor to my tastes!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:14 am 
Bearcat

My favorite pork loin recipe is Canadian Bacon

Here is a link to a recipe - https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threa ... er.175215/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:52 pm 
Buckeye

Thank you everyone! I have some things to go on now. Looking forward to the variety. Don

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:58 pm 
Blackhawk

Old Bay, the seasoning you use for crab and crawfish boils , has a website with some great marinades with their product. We use the spicy poultry marinade for chicken on the grill and it is outstanding. Give the site a try and you just may find something you may want to try. You can always add some hot sauce or doctor them up to your liking.