RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zero Turn Mowers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:33 pm 
Hawkeye

gramps wrote:
Yep, but it didn’t cost $1,000.00! Don’t you get dizzy? My son has one, and swears by it. He had to buy a bigger trailer too! His zero turn was $8,000.00! For that kind of money I will get a tractor and a bush hog.
gramps

I have a Ford 8N and a MF202 Workbull, both with front end loaders and a Woods M5 mower deck and a box blade. Only paid a total of $6000.00 for them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:38 pm 
Single-Sixer

I have a 2017 Ferris commercial with suspension. This is my second Ferris. Best mower I have ever owned. 61" cut . 37 HP. Beautiful cut and much easier on my old body than the traditional ZT I previously had. Two I had were both Bobcats. Excellent mowers but rough ride. I mow 8 acres some smooth some rough.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:04 pm 
Hawkeye

Darned if I can even remember the brand of ours, but we have a zero turn. About 70 inch cut. went in together with my cousin and next door neighbor and bought it. We've been doing that for about 40 years. We cut a total about 6-7 acres and with the summer rains we get down here the grass grows pretty quick and needs mowing about every 5 days!! He and I together keep a maintenance fund for buying parts and having the equipment serviced. Thing I really like about the mower we have now is it has 4-wheel independent suspension with coil-over shocks on all four corners. We considered buying one years ago but it was so rough riding it 'bout beat ya to death. This one is nice! So far it has outlasted all the Craftsman and other riding mowers we've purchased.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:17 am 
Hunter

I bought an old Dixon zero turn from a fellow who was moving for $50. It's a good machine and is fun to do cookies with in the yard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:48 pm 
Single-Sixer

Colonel Daddy wrote:
Darned if I can even remember the brand of ours, but we have a zero turn. About 70 inch cut. went in together with my cousin and next door neighbor and bought it. We've been doing that for about 40 years. We cut a total about 6-7 acres and with the summer rains we get down here the grass grows pretty quick and needs mowing about every 5 days!! He and I together keep a maintenance fund for buying parts and having the equipment serviced. Thing I really like about the mower we have now is it has 4-wheel independent suspension with coil-over shocks on all four corners. We considered buying one years ago but it was so rough riding it 'bout beat ya to death. This one is nice! So far it has outlasted all the Craftsman and other riding mowers we've purchased.

If it has suspension it's probably a Ferris. they are excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:40 pm 
Single-Sixer

Bought my first zero turn 8-9 years ago. I'll never own a tractor style again!. They do have a learning curve for the steering so I'll tell a tale on my wife.....

When she wanted to mow with it I urged her to stay in the middle of the yard until she got the steering down, she didn't. What happened next took one minute and covered about 40 yards. First she ran over the cherry blossom tree we had just planted, dead center, it didn't survive. Then she hit the whiskey barrel planter, knocking it off it's base. Not content, she decided to mow close to my boat, took off the left signal light from the trailer. For her grand finale, bringing the swath of destruction to an end she hit the chainlink fence and ran the front of the mower up it to a 45 degree angle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 pm 
Buckeye

When I bought this new place (3 years ago) I knew I was gonna need a good mower to address it's 3 acres. Gave serious consideration to a smallish tractor with a front end loader and belly or flail type mower..... but did not want to spend the $20,000 it would cost. Began researching the available ZTR commercial grade mowers and was just about settled on a Skag, but liked the Bad Boy's ride better. Ended up with their Outlaw 61" with the 25hp Kawasaki gas engine. Just turned over 150 hours with zero issues. I have a Massey 35 with a 5 foot shredder.....but it don't get used a lot. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:21 am 
Single-Sixer

Yep, when my 54" Cub Cadet went out a at the beginning of the season last year after about 10 years of mowing more than it was meant for, my grandpa let me borrow his Gravely. I fell in love with it. Saw a commercial this spring at my local Gravely dealer for a weekend sale that took off 20% the total price and 0% interest but you had to finance through them. Went up and got a new (first new mower I've ever owned) Gravely 60". Got the deal and then called the finance company the next week and paid the balance. I live on the edge of prairie land so all I'm mowing is thick prairie grass. I'd love to mow good green grass once... About 6 acres of it once I do mine and my mom's who lives next door. It took my mowing time down from 3 hours to about an hour fifteen. I'm very pleased with my purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:06 am 
Hawkeye

Goldstar225 wrote:
Bought my first zero turn 8-9 years ago. I'll never own a tractor style again!. They do have a learning curve for the steering so I'll tell a tale on my wife.....

When she wanted to mow with it I urged her to stay in the middle of the yard until she got the steering down, she didn't. What happened next took one minute and covered about 40 yards. First she ran over the cherry blossom tree we had just planted, dead center, it didn't survive. Then she hit the whiskey barrel planter, knocking it off it's base. Not content, she decided to mow close to my boat, took off the left signal light from the trailer. For her grand finale, bringing the swath of destruction to an end she hit the chainlink fence and ran the front of the mower up it to a 45 degree angle.

It was your fault it happened,I presume. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:03 am 
Hawkeye

Goldstar225 wrote:

Too bad you didn't get that on video for America's Funniest Home Videos. Sounds like a sure winner. Although I'm sure a divorce would have followed the broadcast.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:43 pm 
Blackhawk

Our first zero turn was a Cub Cadet, and we liked it. Replaced it with an EXMark, powered by a Kohler engine. We've had this one 3 years, with virtually no problems. We mow 3 acres with it, does the job fast, with no straining. Beats the heck out of the little Craftsman riding mower (tractor type) that we started with!

I have a diesel tractor with a Rhino mower on my woods place, but never bring it home.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:00 am 
Blackhawk

:D My zero turn is a 1957 Allis Chalmers WD45,with a Woods RM59 finish mower.
With the tricycle front end,and power steering,it will make you dizzy! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:42 am 
Single-Sixer

My wife's mower: Bad Boy ZT Elite with Kohler 26 HP engine and a 54" cut. She loves it! It's used for the main yard.

My Mower: John Deere 3038 compact utility tractor and Frontier 60" rotary cutter. I don't agree that a rotary cutter cannot do a good job on grass. Our pasture looks pretty nice when I'm done mowing. I use it for the pasture and for brush and weeds that requires heavy duty cutting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:46 pm 
Hawkeye

kramden wrote:
Colonel Daddy wrote:

If it has suspension it's probably a Ferris. they are excellent.

Yup, I went and looked! Should last as long as I do!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:17 am 
Hawkeye

Someone posted that he had seen a Grasshopper mower in use at the White House.

https://www.grasshoppermower.com/

They're made in Moundridge, Kansas.