RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 am 
Hunter

I have had a few different 9mm pistols. Currently I only have one. It is a Kahr CM9. It is my gun for when I need deep concealment. I usually carry a pistol chambered for the much maligned .40.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:19 am 
Blackhawk

Never been attracted to the cartridge... still not... HOWEVER, I happened by my semi-local gun shop last year (or maybe it was early this year.... getting OLD) and there, in the counter was a Springfield Armory Range Officer 1911 stainless steel in 9mm..... I HAD to have it to compliment my SA RO 1911 45. THEN, I found out that I could make it into a .38 Super. Bought a NIB Sig bbl on sale for an unbelievable $41 shipped IIRC, and the rest is history. FWIW, the .38Super is much more accurate than the 9mm in my gun (I hand load both but just couldn't get the 9 up to the same level of accuracy). So, I like to think of my gun as a .38 Super :-))))
IMHO of course,
J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:38 am 
Blackhawk

Will for those that do not have a 9mm gun. At some point if you ever want one, you have many to choose from. Rifles, carbines, machine guns, revolvers and semi- autos handguns in just about any firearm brand name, size, shape or style to fit your wants. (Never needs).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:35 pm 
Hunter

kmoore wrote:
Will for those that do not have a 9mm gun. At some point if you ever want one, you have many to choose from. Rifles, carbines, machine guns, revolvers and semi- autos handguns in just about any firearm brand name, size, shape or style to fit your wants. (Never needs).

When the Ruger American Pistol hadn't been out long I got my wife a full sized one in 9mm. She is averse to recoil so I thought a full sized 9mm with interchangeable grips that would fit her hand would be a good fit for her. I haven't done anything about it but I have thought since then that a 9mm carbine or an AR pistol with a brace could be very effective for home defense. Recoil would be next to nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:04 pm 
Hawkeye

I really liked my Ruger SR40c. It was accurate, easy to shoot and carried a pretty good bit of power. I'd still have it if I weren't falling apart with old age.
I do like this S&W .380 EZ I just bought. Easy to rack for sure. I tried it out on a Bulls eye target today. One handed all shots landed on the target at fifty feet and three in the black. That's with iron sights too. Not too shabby. I'm sure I will be getting better with it as I get more used to the pistol. I still haven't decided whether I want to disable the grip safety. The gun really doesn't need it with its ambi thumb safety. Definitely is my new carry pistol.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:07 pm 
Hawkeye

RSIno1 wrote:
My first 9mm was a S&W Model 39. What a POS (poor overall shooter). Dumped it and next one was a well used Glock 17L Gen 1. Now I've got 5 4 Glocks and a S&W Stainless I swapped a 22 revolver for.

I had a S&W model 39 and liked it very much. I used it for target shooting when I lived in Ketchikan and eventually sold it because it wasn't powerful enough to carry when I was flying.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:10 pm 
Hawkeye

I have had a couple of 9 mm. When I was in LE I got and carried a S&W 439. Lightweight and accurate, qualified multiple times with an 95% score. That one went away. I still have a KelTec P-11, that is really a lightweight (16 oz), and accurate. Then I have a Blackhawk with a 9 mm cylinder. The 9 mm is like a .38+p. With proper ammo it will get the job done. The High Capacity magazines encourage the pray and spray mentality, instead of using AIMED FIRE!
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 am 
Blackhawk

Mus408 wrote:
I never jumped on the 9mm band wagon and just prefer the larger calibers!

I have 2 but almost never shoot them. The hipower is 40 years old and only had 50 rounds fired through it. The glock a gen 1 and about the same. I would rather shoot a vaquero or smith and wesson revolver in 44.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:58 am 
Blackhawk

Gramps your right about that and it does happen. I blame poor training and unprepared cops. But, back in the revolver days with most cops having 6 rounds and some only 5. The training included counting your fired rounds because, will you did not have many for anything more than a brief gun fight before needing to reload. The average police shooting nation wide was 2.7 rounds fired by the police per gun fight and remained at or near that number for years.
Now a days with most police now having 15 in .40 or 17 in 9mm rounds unless your in NY, than it's 10. Before a needed reload. The training went away from counting rounds to shoot until the threat has ended.
I made bets with other instructors that the number of rounds fired in police shootings would sky rocket. The last data I read several years ago, was the national average rounds shot in a police gun fight by police is near 4. So, we do hear about spray and pray, but that's not the norm at least though now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:06 pm 
Hunter

I have always considered the 9MMP to be one of the "classic", or perhaps "iconic" rounds, widely used, widely distributed. As Bill Jordan said of the 38 Special, it is the most powerful round the average man can be expected to master.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:07 am 
Hawkeye

For a very long time I did not own a 9 mm, finally I did have two (2) simply because they were super cool. A H&K P7M8 and a Luger.

Sold the P7, so down to just the Luger but was reading and listening to reports regarding justification for agencies going back to the caliber.

I spoke with trauma surgeons prior to my retirement from Children’s, (they would come to our trauma cases in our ER). Several stated the damage they were seeing was more extensive than they had previously noted with 9 mm wounds.

In addition to the Luger I have a Sig 365, I have qualified with before I retired from the PD, a S&W 5903, and a BPH. I don’t shoot them much but I have joined the 9 mm club.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:14 pm 
Single-Sixer

Me, I have never had a .45. Never felt the need.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:14 pm 
Hawkeye

I had a WWII Colt built 1911 for awhile in Alaska but sold it because I didn't feel it was good enough for a side arm when I was flying. I made $25 on it; bought it for $50 sold it for $75. About the same time I bought a brand new S&W Model 29 for $150. I thought I it was excessively overpriced at the time.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:45 pm 
Hawkeye

blume357 wrote:
I'm one of those 'girly boys' who likes 9mm, if for no other reason it is cheaper to shoot.

On the way home from church I dropped by a gun and knife show and picked up 2,000 rounds of 9mm. I forgot how much an ammo can packed full with 9mm actually weights let alone two of them....
1/4 mile walk back to the car so I could save $5.....96 degrees.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:30 pm 
Hawkeye

blume357 wrote:
blume357 wrote:
I'm one of those 'girly boys' who likes 9mm, if for no other reason it is cheaper to shoot.

On the way home from church I dropped by a gun and knife show and picked up 2,000 rounds of 9mm. I forgot how much an ammo can packed full with 9mm actually weights let alone two of them....
1/4 mile walk back to the car so I could save $5.....96 degrees.

Man, don’t over stress that ticker! :)

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next