RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car Insurance
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:07 am 
Hawkeye

Do you have 'Snapshot', 'Drivewise' or 'Safe & Save' or any of the other programs that offer to lower your insurance payments? These are the one's that monitor your driving and give a discount for good driving. You've seen the commercials right?
So how do you like it? How exactly does it work? Do you ever feel like 'Big Brother' is watching you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i_Y5lewEKY

I wonder what's next, a discount on health insurance if you let them monitor you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXSBe- ... 325701CE9C

Post subject: Re: Car Insurance
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:16 am 
Hawkeye

My Insurance with The Hartford includes some programs that I can participate in that will reduce my premiums. I have never heard of any of the 3rd party deals that you mentioned. Do they track the driver with a GPS or something? I'm not sure how they know how you're driving.

If it's a tracking device, it would be an automatic "No" for me! lol

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:42 pm 
Hunter

We have Allstate insurance and my wife signed us up for the Drivewise program.
I believe it tracks you thru your phone which has to be on while driving and it checks your speed.
We accrue points that can be redeemed on discounted prices on merchandise.

She ordered the Nest doorbell and got a nice discount on it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:58 pm 
Hawkeye

^^^ You gonna put one on your Mustang? :)

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:29 pm 
Hawkeye

I wonder how long it will be before these companies start refusing accident claims when you speed is .25 mph above the posted limit. You don't really think they want to lower your rate do you? Reduce their income? I have this bridge in San Francisco for sale.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:33 pm 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
My ex has one on her car. It plugs into the OBD II diagnostic connector. Gets all the info from the engine and can record braking and cornering forces.
She lives in Knoxville and she always heard my friends and I talking about our fun at Deal's Gap and wanted to go there so I took her in her car. We disconnected the bird dog.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:46 pm 
Hunter

Bull Barrel wrote:
It plugs into the OBD II diagnostic connector. Gets all the info from the engine and can record braking and cornering forces.

This ^

Acceleration, speed, braking, turning, depending upon MFR data/gps speed vs speed limit. All with no real world l info to say why you did X bad thing. Have a bad a day and a kid, then a dog, and maybe deer all run out in front of you. Now you have three hard braking events to go against you. A couple days later it's wild west day on the freeway and couple more defensive hard brake events.

Nope, not giving them any ammo for free.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:55 pm 
Hunter

I don't, and won't, let them monitor my driving. I could just see a scenario where you happen to have let your speed creep 5 mph over the limit and something happens and they use that as an excuse not to cover you. However, in the case of my wife's car we are on a program where we report how many miles we've driven the car every quarter. Since my wife works within 5 miles of home and we usually take my truck for any long trips her car, which is 4 years old, has less than 25,000 on it now. We get a pretty good discount for not driving it far.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:28 pm 
Hawkeye

The fact is that if you have all this whizbang instrumentation and data in your vehicle, the insurance companies will probably be able to get their hands on it anyway before they pay a claim. As others have suggested, I tend to see this monitoring caper as a fulcrum to RAISE rates more frequently than they will provide discounts for obedient little eggshell drivers.

I've come to realize that almost everything in advertising these days is a lie. If they say 'discount', they really mean 'price increase'. Carnival hucksterism seems to have invaded nearly every aspect of life these days.

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:33 pm 
Hunter

Cholo wrote:
^^^ You gonna put one on your Mustang? :)

Heck no! My wife set it up for her car. It's a phone app.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:50 pm 
Hawkeye

There is no discount savings for "safe" drivers, only the starting rate at the beginning of your coverage. It only goes up from there, never down. I have been driving a licensed driver since 1974. I was involved in one accident that I was not at fault at, and I have had zero moving violations in 46 years, knock on wood. My rates have not gone down. I am paying $189 a month for full coverage on a 2013 Jetta TDI and a 2012 Silverado crew cab. That's just short of $2300 a year. I have my homeowners, renters and life insurance bundled in with my auto policies. I don't see a discount anywhere in the equation.

I agree with those who will not willingly give any information to these hustlers and shylocks.

Are you gonna cowboy up, or just lay there and bleed?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:25 pm 
Blackhawk

When I lived in town, had one of those jobbers that plugged into the OBDII port. Major pain: I drove rarely (once a week for <10 miles), constant signalling would drain the battery, company would claim I was driving without being monitored and ding me anyway. Where I live now, might work great except there's not enough cell service to communicate data for most of the commute. Don't miss it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:09 am 
Hawkeye

Not a good idea imo. I would not let any Ins. company track me or anything remotely
like that for a lousy discount. Noway nohow period! Do not be foolish!ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:14 am 
Hawkeye

I don't need a thing-a-ma-bob to "remind" me to drive conservatively. Tom's work vehicle has this and there's all sorts of ways it can go against you even when you're driving safely. As mentioned, braking to avoid critters gets a check mark, some "speed zones" aren't placed or recorded properly giving the impression you're speeding even though you're not in a marked reduced speed zone, accelerating a bit aggressively to get out of a sketchy situation gets you a check mark, and all sorts of conditions that are normally encountered in rural driving get you a check mark.
I've been with State Farm for 50 years and their records show I'm a safe driver. No need for a little widget to prove it OR to be used against me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:15 am 
Hunter

If my insurance company required one of these I would find another company that doesn't. My location and how fast I'm going is nobody's business.

Want to live a content life? "Fear God and keep His commandments"- King Solomon

Since Christianity is a Jewish sect, God's promise to Abraham to bless them as long as they keep his Commandments also applies to Christians.

"Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him" Job 13:15