RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overheard at the range
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:35 pm 
Hawkeye

I was happily plinking away when a couple other new members at the range showed up. They were shooting their plastic 9mm’s, so I commented I’m shooting my 41 magnum. One of the guys had just the foam ear pieces in. (I use those WITH head phones.)

So, he comes over and asked to look at my “hand cannons.” I finally convince them both to try my 41 magnum. I load light rounds, the load today was 6.5 of Unique with 210 powder coated bullets. End results? Everyone walks away happy. They both say, “Oh, that is nice. Not what I expected.”

BUT: after, they were talking and said the bulk ammo at Wal Mart is more or less “second” and that’s why it’s so cheap.

I didn’t comment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:51 pm 
Hawkeye

Kevin wrote:
I was happily plinking away when a couple other new members at the range showed up. They were shooting their plastic 9mm’s, so I commented I’m shooting my 41 magnum. One of the guys had just the foam ear pieces in. (I use those WITH head phones.)

So, he comes over and asked to look at my “hand cannons.” I finally convince them both to try my 41 magnum. I load light rounds, the load today was 6.5 of Unique with 210 powder coated bullets. End results? Everyone walks away happy. They both say, “Oh, that is nice. Not what I expected.”

BUT: after, they were talking and said the bulk ammo at Wal Mart is more or less “second” and that’s why it’s so cheap.

I didn’t comment.

There's generally 2 kinds of range shooters. Those who have a specific goal - such as trying out unfamiliar factory ammo or a custom load, sighting in a firearm, honing their skills, etc. And those who are there just to make noise. :wink:

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:04 pm 
Hawkeye

Yes! These guys were making noise, nothing more. They were shooting the steel plates and really didn’t hit many at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:11 pm 
Hunter

I am a 41 Magnum devotee, that is a light load, my standard is 7.5 grains of Unique under a 210 SWC.
As a life member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man-I am always amused when shooters of plastic pistols shoot a "real"-i.e. solid steel handun. Always brings a grin to their faces.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:29 pm 
Hawkeye

I'll admit I don't utilize public ranges. The few times I did use a public range, I was surprised at the level of dis-information and vastly inaccurate information being blathered about.
On a single outing to the Chaffee (CO) county range, I saw a dude send an AD that nearly punched a hole in the roof over the benches and another whom I stopped just before he lit off a .38 snubby with most of his support hand in front of the cylinder. Another trip I arrived early to find a shooter downrange fiddling with his targets. I was sitting patiently waiting when another guy wheeled in, hopped out, threw a range bag on the shooting line, and started loading a hunting rifle. I mentioned there was someone downrange and the range was COLD. Stupid dude must have thought I was talking about the weather as he began placing his sandbags. I finally yelled at the guy downrange to either return to the firing line or take cover. Turned out the man downrange was a Corrections Officer at the prison and not a bit shy about reading the riot act to the inconsiderate shooter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:51 am 
Ruger Guru

If there is one thing I think should be required of any & all gun owners prior to their first firearm ownership, is some form of basic firearm safety class.
We, as responsible firearm owners know that all too often, too many people do not know, nor understand many of the basic safety rules preached by the NRA and all the good gun clubs & gun owners out there.
This is probably where we, as strong supporters of the Second Amendment may fail in the long run battle against those wanting to take away our firearms.
If we made it mandatory that ALL kids in High School take a Hunter Safety class one year, and at least one other firearm safety class to be able to graduate,, it would at least give them a start towards correct knowledge of how potentially dangerous a firearm can be.

You can't fix stupid,, but you can at least try to educate many who would benefit from such an education.
I say this because as a firearm instructor, I have had comments made to me by many students about their lack of knowledge. BASIC SAFETY knowledge.
Private gun clubs & ranges have rules in place to assist in this,, making members prove their knowledge & safe habits. They enforce these rules by probation for new members, warnings, fines, & expulsion etc. Sadly, a public range doesn't have such rules.

Education is the key to solving most problems. Sadly, too many refuse to allow firearm safety to be taught in schools where we could have the biggest influence.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:12 am 
Hawkeye

"Education is the key to solving most problems. Sadly, too many refuse to allow firearm safety to be taught in schools where we could have the biggest influence."
Agree. The problem lies in areas where "guns are BAD" is too common. Follow that with the "nobody really dies" mentality produced by video games on top of non-hunting families and the end result of loosing a bullet and you have generated a complete lack of responsibility regarding gun safety.
I'm sitting here with all 3 of my Grandkids who I trust to properly handle a firearm. All have killed game and processed the meat. They know the result of firing a shot and have the advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:48 am 
Buckeye

I have not personally witnessed any dangerous gun handling at my club (I try to go mid-week, when I usually have the place to myself), but the holes in the tin roof attest to the fact that it happens!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:01 am 
Hunter

smoke-eater wrote:
I have not personally witnessed any dangerous gun handling at my club (I try to go mid-week, when I usually have the place to myself), but the holes in the tin roof attest to the fact that it happens!

Same for me. I belong to an indoor pistol club. All new members, regardless of how experienced they are, must take the basic safety class at which the basic NRA rules as well as the club rules are taught. In the dozen or so years that I have been a member, I have never observed any blatantly unsafe behavior, other than once when a member had some guests with him, and one of the individuals turned to ask him a question, swinging the loaded handgun, with finger on the trigger, around, sweeping the rest of us at the firing points in the process. Multiple people yelled out and the member almost immediately took control of the guest's firearm. My club allows members access 24/7 unless an event is scheduled and being retired I only go on weekdays and at time where I am usually the only person present. We have three separate ranges in the building, so even when others are there, I can usually find one of the ranges empty so that I can shoot at my leisure and not worry about what other shooters are doing.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:05 am 
Hawkeye

At lest one range nearby has a strict safety video and Q&A for first time shooters. I recall one visiting shooter pulled out his badge and proclaimed how many decades he had been shooting, thinking obviously he was above the fray and didn't need the video - "Sorry, range rules" was the simple reply. I admired that employee for that.

Never miss an opportunity to offer (good) advice to a shooter who may not have hundreds of shooting hours experience. They are almost always eager to learn more, and almost invariably hesitant to ask for advice.

Political correctness = Political Submission

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:59 pm 
Hawkeye

Young fellows in the two lanes to my left at the range the other day. See me take a .357 mag (GP100) and load it. Comment was - "See the old timer and his antique gun". Targets at 15 yds. They start shooting their 9mm pistols at theirs and scatter a lot of shots. I put all six rounds in the 10 ring. Next round, they see me move my target to 25 yds and do the same. After some 15 rounds each, none had hit the paper. I had a nice group, a little high, but close to centered on the bullseye.

A little while later, both came to me and asked how I do it. I told them one word - "practice." I gave them a few pointers on hold, sight picture and shooting stance. They saw improvement in their shooting. I feel like I just did a bit of good for the sport. I like hot days at the range, but not for the rifle. Too much mirage effect. The heat keeps away a lot of people, so no crowds.

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
Pres. John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:07 pm 
Hunter

The pistol ranges/gun shops here in NJ require a first timer to watch a video put out by NSSF on range safety and etiquette. That video has some mistakes in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:53 pm 
Hawkeye

At the Medford Rifle and Pistol club's indoor pistol range new members take a half day orientation which covers the safety rules. Lots of signs posted inside too. In the 60+ years of the club's operation there have been no gunshot injuries, something to be proud of.

We have high def video cameras that are often monitored in real time by our two designated safety officers at home and are also recorded. Entry to the building is done with a magnetic fob that's coded to each member. There's also a door camera so identities can be made to reduce the possibility that a member might loan his fob to a non-member friend.

The only real safety problem we've had was with a group of Medford Police officers who where sweeping each other and makins some other safety violations. The video is great, when the 'voice of god' came out of the ceiling it sure jolted everyone inside. Our designated safety guys can address the building through speakers in the ceiling from their homes.

Gives a very new definition to 'overheard'

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:42 am 
Hawkeye

Sounds like many of y'all have some very nice comfy ranges. I reckon I'll just have to make do with the bugs, critters, and weather out in the yard and the woods. But at least I don't have to dance to somebody else's tune. :wink: :mrgreen:

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:01 am 
Ruger Guru

By the many comments above concerning CLUBS where some form of SAFETY is required,, it proves my point of the need for education.
Sadly,, backyard ranges, public ranges, and UNSUPERVISED places are where too many of the new gun owners make safety mistakes & do not learn the things necessary.

I own a range. It's private. Why? because I can't be there to act as the safety & training officer all the time. Back that up with the LIABILITY involved with such a place. We do open to the "public" one Saturday a month for a USPSA match where strict safety rules are in place & enforced. I also open it up at other times,, when I can be there to supervise the activities. Maybe one day,, I may switch things,, but not right now. It's BECAUSE of the lack of safety many casual gun owners exhibit, that keeps me from allowing it to be an open & casual place.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA