RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 am 
Buckeye

The search feature here is not working right now or I'd post this as an update to my thread , maybe a year ago, where I'd shared that on doctor's advice I was starting a weight loss journey, or where I shared about learning that holsters sometimes need to change with large amounts of weight loss , which at the time was 70 pounds. The surgeon in April of 2018 had refused to perform the total lumbar fusion I'm heading to eventually because the spinal deterioration has progressed up into my thoracic region. Weight loss was my only hope. I've stuck with the journey and have dropped down to 215 pounds from a top weight of 315. I stand 6 feet 3 inches in my stocking feet.
Last week marked 100 pounds loss so far. Another doctor has told me to stop losing weight, but I need to drop another 5 to comfortably wear my SP101 AIWB. I started out in tight 46 waist jeans and now am in slightly loose Wrangler Riggs Workwear 36 waist jeans, which coupled with my height and 36 inch inseam does feel almost right to me.
No drugs, no surgery or supplements and no vigorous exercise, I adhered to a doctor-advised low carb diet. It's been 15 months. Wow. A whole new wardrobe was required, and Bargain Hunt overstock store ($5 name brand, long style polo shirts), Rural King farm store and Amazon have been my friends for affordable attire.
I told Miss Penny that for the rest of my life, I'll just have to eat like a compliant diabetic, with carbohydrate counting of daily totals. Oddly, my appetite and tastes have changed along the way. No more cravings for breads (still love them though) and pastas, nor concentrated sweets.
A down side is that everything on me sags. Under my arms, skin on my abdomen, my manboobs. Working to keep these things covered up as a courtesy to others.
Weight loss has been quite a trip, with periods of stagnation that had to be pushed through. Happily I'm not tired of salads. And today on my smoker is 15 pounds of pork shoulder that lovely carb-free porcine blessing I've enjoyed so often in the last 15 months in salads, as an entree, in casseroles and on the occasional sandwich.
With the heat index at 106 or so today here in Southern KY, my wood fired smoker is maintaining a nice even and steady 250 degrees with only a modest fire in the firebox.
Hoping a great and happy weekend for all here. And thank you friends for the past words of encouragement.
Don

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 am 
Blackhawk

That’s fantastic. Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:37 am 
Hawkeye

Don,

You have done a remarkable job! The sagging stuff will recover over time. Lifestyle change IS the answer. Keeping yourself in shape will reduce your dependence on pharmaceuticals which is a win/win/win. (health/longevity/financial) It takes a LOT of fortitude and focus to do what you've done. I wish you continued success!!

Best regards, Pete

“No power was given to Congress to infringe on any one of the natural rights of the people by this Constitution, and, should they attempt it without constitutional authority, the act would be a nullity, and could not be enforced.” -Theophilus Parsons at the Massachusetts ratifying convention

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:45 am 
Buckeye

Don you’re doing such a good job lose a couple pounds for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:05 pm 
Hawkeye

Don, that is absolutely fantastic. Losing 100 pounds in 15 months is a serious milestone. Very proud of you. So you mostly ate salads is my impression. That is difficult at best, but obviously it works. It's my prayer for you, that you no longer will need back surgery. Give the body time to adjust. By any standard that is a huge drop in a very short time. But it's also important to keep an eye on things. I've heard of cases where the extra flaps of skin causes irritations, and other problems. If that starts to happen, they can remove the extra skin surgically. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you but it's important to check on yourself regularly. I'm thrilled for you. I hope this has become a life time change for you. Don't be surprised if people tell you, that you look taller.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:19 pm 
Buckeye

Hey thank you for the kind words. Something I hadn't considered early-on though was loss of muscle mass. For years I carried around 300 to 315 pounds. Even my arms likely weighed 10 or more pounds more each than now. I've experienced loss of leg muscle mass and my arms are weaker than before, so I bought a 15 pound cast iron hand weight and every other day do a short arm routine. And a week ago joined Planet Fitness under the Silver Sneaker program my insurance pays for so I could use the recumbent bicycle for a few minutes at a time. With physical limitations as I have, I can't afford to lose ground any more than I have already in endurance. My doctor of course has approved my approach.
Don

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:49 pm 
Single-Sixer

good job! Congratulations.

I don't want a pickle, just want to ride my motorsikle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:01 pm 
Buckeye

I'm sure you feel better, and I'll bet you will live longer too.

Damn fine job! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:16 pm 
Hawkeye

Good Job Don!
gramps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:03 pm 
Hawkeye

Good Job !!
Since the lss of my spouse at the end of January, I have been on a LOW CARB diet (Dr Atkins) and I have so far dropped 38 pounds *(248--->> 210); I AM aiming at 185 and maybe eventually 165.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:12 pm 
Hawkeye

Congratulations, that is excellent results on weight loss!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:25 pm 
Bearcat

Congratulations! The only diet that has ever worked for me is the Low-Carb diet. I lost 90 pounds in about 12 months 5 years ago. I gradually gained 35 of it back so I am back on it and have already lost (in 2 weeks) 8 pounds. My goal is to loose 50 this time which seems doable.

Again, Congratulations on a major achievement.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:31 pm 
Hawkeye

Incredible!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:57 pm 
Blackhawk

I am thinking about going with a membership at the local pool. They have older classes , Etc. in the mornings. Just walking back and forth will work. It will take it off....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:59 pm 
Hawkeye

CLAYPOOL wrote:
I am thinking about going with a membership at the local pool. They have older classes , Etc. in the mornings. Just walking back and forth will work. It will take it off....

Yeah;
I joined a group called "Silver Sneakers" and they hold exercise classes in the outdoor pool of the local YMCA; 45 minutes every morning and if you are interested they also have some indoor exercise classes right after the pool time.